Pratt Street

MadVlad

Ok, I finally got some jobs downtown today and took a nice stroll down Pratt Street at lunchtime (it's been WAY too long). First, where did all these hot girls come from floating around down there.... sorry, I got off topic. First, what the hell did they do to the street? Why would you patch a brick street with asphalt? That looks ridiculous. Second, it really seems to be shaping up, all the kinda-shady shops seem to be going by the wayside and bars, eateries, etc are popping in. I'm not sure I'm into the Russell, Zuzu's had a much better vibe on that corner, the Russell just seemed to sterile for my liking. The corner of Pratt and Main really needs a landmark building to endcap the street, I am not vehemently against putting just anything there.

Jcrc, I popped into JoJo's to see if you were there, but you weren't, I think I talked to your wife. I like the little chippies you have behind the counter too. The Mango Smoothie was great, btw.....

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, I finally got some jobs downtown today and took a nice stroll down Pratt Street at lunchtime (it's been WAY too long). First, where did all these hot girls come from floating around down there.... sorry, I got off topic. First, what the hell did they do to the street? Why would you patch a brick street with asphalt? That looks ridiculous. Second, it really seems to be shaping up, all the kinda-shady shops seem to be going by the wayside and bars, eateries, etc are popping in. I'm not sure I'm into the Russell, Zuzu's had a much better vibe on that corner, the Russell just seemed to sterile for my liking. The corner of Pratt and Main really needs a landmark building to endcap the street, I am not vehemently against putting just anything there.

Jcrc, I popped into JoJo's to see if you were there, but you weren't, I think I talked to your wife. I like the little chippies you have behind the counter too. The Mango Smoothie was great, btw.....

I like the Russell alot. It's really geared towards young minority professionals and we don't have much geared to us in Hartford....

I still think the street should be closed and restaurants be allowed to put tables on the street. Attract even more hot girls...

The Russell is actually pretty good, but they need to open the big windows more like Zuzu's did.

1. When is the sushi bar opening at the end of the street next to JoJo's?

2. Now that Cugino's has moved across the street with a new name, how about bringing back the Gap?

There are many more people living downtown since the first Gap closed, so maybe it is time.

3. The Vietnamese restaurant is excellent, but they need to move to street level.

The Russell is actually pretty good, but they need to open the big windows more like Zuzu's did.

2. Now that Cugino's has moved across the street with a new name, how about bringing back the Gap?

There are many more people living downtown since the first Gap closed, so maybe it is time.

3. The Vietnamese restaurant is excellent, but they need to move to street level.

:blink:

I must've been too young. There used to be Gap Downtown?

little chippies? You mean the super hyper none stop yapping cute gal? ROFLMAO.

They patched the brick street last year because quite a bit came loose, and according to the construction people who worked on it that was the only way to prevent further damage. It's ugly, but oh well.

Don't even know when the sushi place is going to start construction. It seems many projects in Hartford are snail in pace.

Word is Cugino's moved because the rent went way up on them. I was told that's the main reason why Becker's closed. The art gallery was able to re-negotiated a better term, otherwise was considering leaving too. The Vietnamese restaurant closed, now it's a Thai restaurant. I think the main reason they did not move to street level is rent.

Russell is doing a good job. August is tough for most restaurants in Hartford, but Russell seems to be pretty steady.

Don't even know when the sushi place is going to start construction. It seems many projects in Hartford are snail in pace.

Word is Cugino's moved because the rent went way up on them. I was told that's the main reason why Becker's closed. The art gallery was able to re-negotiated a better term, otherwise was considering leaving too. The Vietnamese restaurant closed, now it's a Thai restaurant. I think the main reason they did not move to street level is rent.

Russell is doing a good job. August is tough for most restaurants in Hartford, but Russell seems to be pretty steady.

Russell caters to an underserved demographic that already lives in the city. It's a no brainer that he does so well. That space is small, but nonetheless it can be standing room only Fri and Sat on a nice weekend. He's gonna have competition when the much larger Emperor opens on Main in the Linden Building though, but at least I'll have a new spot to hang out. :thumbsup:

Russell caters to an underserved demographic that already lives in the city. It's a no brainer that he does so well. That space is small, but nonetheless it can be standing room only Fri and Sat on a nice weekend. He's gonna have competition when the much larger Emperor opens on Main in the Linden Building though, but at least I'll have a new spot to hang out. :thumbsup:

I just found the Russell's website. It's really cool. One of the best I've seen for a Hartford establishment.

The Russell

:blink:

I must've been too young. There used to be Gap Downtown?

The was a Gap where Cugino's and Pumpkin's used to be. It - along with the State House Square Mall (which was VERY nice but is now office space) - failed miserably during Hartford's recession of the early 90's.

Why come downtown to G Fox, Sage Allen, Gap, Ann Taylor, etc. when you have it all in the suburban shopping malls? They all went out of business about the time Buckland opened.

I have walked by the Russel many times and have seen all types of people in there....peoples of all races and of all ages which is a good thing. Also when you walk by on Pratt Street you are almost looking down into the restaurant which I like.

A few month's ago Sweet Jane's opened near No Fish Today and the Russel at 88 Pratt Street

There are a few key retail shops ...not high end but important for an urban dweller such as a barbershop, a Blimpie's, a cell phone store and a convenience type store that does sell cold cuts.

JoJo's is a great asset to Pratt Street.

Woody's in the American Airline Building has a side entrance on Pratt Street. To bad Woody's does not have a store front because they are always packed at lunchtime.

Woody's is my favorite place to eat downtown, bar none. Woody and his wife are great, and the dogs are awesome. I did notice that little Deli place, that is a huge addition to the street...

Its great to go into Woody's and see all the articles and pictures about Hartford. They also have one of those signs about bringing back the Whalers. Great to see city business owners actually intrested in the city

• 1 month later...

I think Pratt Street has great potential. It's very nice now, but needs a few new things.

to make it a true mecca.

1. Fix the sidewalks. Also widen them so there can be more outside dining.

2. Light the archway. How about a lighted neon scene that says "Pratt Street?"

3. Develop the parking lot at the corner of Pratt and Main, site of the proposed Renaissance Place. It is an eyesore.

4. Move the Puket Cafe to street level. Great food, bad location.

5. Bring back the fashion shows they had in the 70's and 80's.

6. Study whether it makes sense to eliminate the parking. There are only a few spots anyway...8 at the most? Keep it open for deliveries.

A follow up to the comment about Renaissance Place:

The merchants on Pratt Street should call a meeting with city economic development director John Palmieri and see what the city wants to do with that piece of property.

Get the owners of the property, Konover of West Hartford to join you.

This is prime real estate and it is a shame it is empty.

A little history: Hartford's first skyscraper, the old Aetna building once stood there. It was torn in 1990 for a skyscraper that was never built.

In 1992, the Main Street Market was built there. A collection of red open buildings resembling the Mumford News Shack still standing.

Mayor Peters allowed Konover to tear down the market in the late 90s under the condition he had a year or two to develop it. Mayor Peters said the property was too valuable to have surface parking.

Renaissance Place was proposed with a Westin Hotel and the project fell apart.

What is the city and Konover doing to actively develop that property.

I feel bad for JoJo's and Joe Black's and the upcoming sushi bar and the Sage Allen apartments that they have to look out at a sea of asphalt.

A couple of years ago Pratt Street was closed to car traffic from 11 AM to 2 PM during warm weather so food merchants can put tables out on the street. That would be something that can be done pretty easily, but I don't know what do none food merchants think about that.

Is Konover's promise to develop that parking lot in writing? If Konover cannot develop it like they promised, then they should not be allowed to be enriched by the parking fees. Joe Black spent tons of money on the old Society Building, whatever development on the drawing board now, it would be nice that Joe Black's planned outdoor seating area does not stare at the back of some cheap concrete building. If all else failed, I will settle for a nice small park (with a skating rink). Think about all the lasses coming in for hot chocolate after skating in those short little skirts....

Archived