Take Pride in Grand Rapids Campaign

mpchicago

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The issue with building such gateways is where to build them? GR is growing quickly. If you were to put one on S. Division, where would it be? At the southern end of the Avenue for the Arts re-streeting? In 5 years rennovation will surely extend even further south. Put it near Wealthy? Hall?

the gateway is at division and 28th... right??

The issue with building such gateways is where to build them? GR is growing quickly. If you were to put one on S. Division, where would it be? At the southern end of the Avenue for the Arts re-streeting? In 5 years rennovation will surely extend even further south. Put it near Wealthy? Hall?

At the city limits, generally. Or as close by as you can find available space, while staying within the boundary of the subject jurisdiction.

I think that it is a great start had has some good information on the site. Is this just for local use or will this be sent to potential investors or developers?

I would suggest getting other developers on board so they can, include the other big residential projects such as Icon, Union Square, Riverhouse, and Fitzgerald on the site.

I am not a fan of the color scheme of the web site. It is on the soft side of retro.

I don't know what a "gateway" would consist of... I think they can get very chessy very quickly... I think I past a "gateway" to Chicago on the Dan Ryan, or Skyway or something and all it was -- an overpass with lighted sign saying Chicago, enough said to that.

I think that's about any city needs if a gateway is by expressway.

I don't know what a "gateway" would consist of... I think they can get very chessy very quickly... I think I past a "gateway" to Chicago on the Dan Ryan, or Skyway or something and all it was -- an overpass with lighted sign saying Chicago, enough said to that.

I think that's about any city needs if a gateway is by expressway.

As for gatways, when I went though Indianapolis on my way to vist my Grand Parents a few months ago, I noticed that the 465 was being heavily renovated, including all of the over passes crossing the highway. Many of the completed overpasses featured arch shaped red colored decrative trusses that made for a unique look. I think somthing like that would work on the Franklin and Wealthy street overpasses crossing 131 as well as over passes of the Lake Michigan St. and 196 innechange.

On my way to Chicago I passed under many of these buildings built over the expressway. I couldn't figure out why the buildings were there and what there purpose was. I had a suspicioun that they were somehow related to the expressway -- my girlfriend later told me that the buildings were rest stops! They were beautiful and window'd so the buildings were very transparent.

I was shocked because the only kind of rest stop I'm accustomed to is the standard side road to a parking lot and a wood shack with a map.

To me, thoes were great gateway entrances to the area.

On my way to Chicago I passed under many of these buildings built over the expressway. I couldn't figure out why the buildings were there and what there purpose was. I had a suspicioun that they were somehow related to the expressway -- my girlfriend later told me that the buildings were rest stops! They were beautiful and window'd so the buildings were very transparent.

I was shocked because the only kind of rest stop I'm accustomed to is the standard side road to a parking lot and a wood shack with a map.

Everything has a history I guess. Is this what you are talking about?

Illinois Tollway Oasis

They've upgraded many of Michigan's rest areas over the past couple of years, and they are much nicer than they were. I've stopped at two Tollway Oasis's, and they were ROUGH on the inside, like old bus stations used to be, or Detroit Metro used to be like.

I think Grand Rapids could work on gateways for both the city limits and the downtown area. A "gateway" into a downtown area would be marked by a point of interest, such as a sculpture, garden, fountain, archway or some other architectural landscape detail that would tell your brain that you are transitioning into an area. It gives a distinct first impression that should carry through to the rest of the area, if done properly.

Everything has a history I guess. Is this what you are talking about?

Illinois Tollway Oasis

Yah that its...

They've upgraded many of Michigan's rest areas over the past couple of years, and they are much nicer than they were. I've stopped at two Tollway Oasis's, and they were ROUGH on the inside, like old bus stations used to be, or Detroit Metro used to be like.

I think Grand Rapids could work on gateways for both the city limits and the downtown area. A "gateway" into a downtown area would be marked by a point of interest, such as a sculpture, garden, fountain, archway or some other architectural landscape detail that would tell your brain that you are transitioning into an area. It gives a distinct first impression that should carry through to the rest of the area, if done properly.

Althought I was going 70mph, they looked pretty nice to me. I'll take your word for it. :lol: I think a gateway to any part of the metro or city, if done right, could carry on an image for the community.

I think that spiral thingamajigger that is being used for HDCH rendering should be used to span across an expressway entry with a nighttime lighted theme would be really cool...gives people somethin to oooh and aaah at and knowing that hey I'm coming into a big town kinda feeling...

Archived