Van Andel Arena's 10 Year Anniversary

GRDadof3

Bob Seger has announced that he will begin his new North American tour at the Van Andel Arena, as part of the arena's 10 year anniversary celebration. Other shows over the next month include the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Eric Clapton (last week), Def Leppard and Journey, The Who and The Pretenders (later this year).

Press Article

They are also hosting a free Community Open House on Oct. 7th. Be advised, I went to some of the places listed to find tickets, but they didn't have them yet. I just went straight to the arena to get them.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To go see who? Whom ever these people are they must put on a great act.

You would think so, but I saw them around 1991 or 92 at the Pontiac Silverdome, and it sucked. They were old and haggard and sounded terrible back then, and they barely moved on stage. I can't imagine what they sound like now.

Were you joking about not knowing who The Who were Rizzo?

You would think so, but I saw them around 1991 or 92 at the Pontiac Silverdome, and it sucked. They were old and haggard and sounded terrible back then, and they barely moved on stage. I can't imagine what they sound like now.

Yah, :lol: Either that or I was a little 'sticker shocked,' $204?!

Anyone think $204 to see the Who is insane?

I don't care what it costs. I'm going to see Pete and Roger if I have to mug someone outside VA to get in. I missed out 5 years ago when they were in town. John was still alive then.

One of the best shows I've ever seen at VA was Page and Plant. They came out and played about 5 songs off of their new album and the whole rest of the night was Zep tunes. What a show.

I guess it was a "who's on first" type of deal.

[saw "Pinball Wizard" while in college...the first time]

Yesterday, we just bought a ferret for about 150, the whole process of bringing it home and setting up its habitat was pretty entertaining. It's like a concert except it supposed to last for about 8 to 10 years. I'm not really into pets, but watching this critter steal stuff is fun as hell. She really likes my money clip.

Is that surprising?

Seeing as how he sells out entire stadiums at every gig (with exception to gigs in the US where Trance isn't popular) and runs lighting which trumps any rock concert by leaps and bounds... I would say so. (his VIP tickets last year were only $4 cheaper than those Who tickets tho if I remember right =p)

Actually, John Entwistle was dead in 2002, the last time The Who were in town. He died in 2001 just a few days before the tour started. I had front row seats at Van Andel to that show.

This year I've got tickets a little farther back, but still on the floor. They were $97 each.

-nb

I think the Arena is the the best thing to ever hit DT. Before it was built, DT was a ghost town. Now look at DT. It its full of energy 24/7. That's not even including the effects that Devos Place or the boom on Pill hill is having. I'm glad to have VA there. I hope it continues to thrive and pull in the big guns of show biz for a long time to come.

Downtown GR awakens to big city nights

Where did people go for concerts before the arena opened?

How far back do you want to go?

I remember concerts on Friday nights in the mall at Rogers Plaza (after all the stores closed), The "Place" on Plymouth, the old National Guard Armory on Michigan, the new National Guard Armory on 44th Street, the Thunder Chicken on Alpine, the Intersection, the Civic Auditorium (one of my 1st big concerts with Eric Burdon and the Animals), Fort Lamar in Wyoming, the Old Crow in Saugatuck, Wing Stadium, the Edgar Allen Poe Club in Holland (in an old funeral home), Cannonsburg Ski Lodge, the Tanz House in Traverse City...

How far back do you want to go?

I remember concerts on Friday nights in the mall at Rogers Plaza (after all the stores closed), The "Place" on Plymouth, the old National Guard Armory on Michigan, the new National Guard Armory on 44th Street, the Thunder Chicken on Alpine, the Intersection, the Civic Auditorium (one of my 1st big concerts with Eric Burdon and the Animals), Fort Lamar in Wyoming, the Old Crow in Saugatuck, Wing Stadium, the Edgar Allen Poe Club in Holland (in an old funeral home), Cannonsburg Ski Lodge, the Tanz House in Traverse City...

There was one big show at Lamar Park around 1976 called, I believe Electric Rodeo. Heart, Reo Speedwagon, Johnny and Edgar Winter, Renaissance, Nils Lofgrin and a few other acts. There was not a cloud in the sky that day. Too bad that venue had to end.

I remember seeing quite a few big acts at the old Stadium Arena including The J Geils Band and The Charlie Daniels band back in the 70's.

The Welch has had a few good shows through the years with Duran Duran in the 80's the biggest that I can remember.

GVSU had its share of shows including Ted Nugent and The Tubes.

I think there was only one show at a venue called Northern Star, a farmers field near Mecosta. I saw ZZ Top there.

Thunder Chicken brings back good memories too. I don't remember the shows at Rogers Plaza though. I swear I saw Bachman Turner Overdrive at Rogers High School.

Ha ha, that name brings back some memories. I remember all of the stabbings at Top of the Rock in the early 90's.

Thunder Chicken! I have seen them several times. I still proudly wear my thunder chicken T-shirt from time to time. :D

There was one big show at Lamar Park around 1976 called, I believe Electric Rodeo. Heart, Reo Speedwagon, Johnny and Edgar Winter, Renaissance, Nils Lofgrin and a few other acts. There was not a cloud in the sky that day. Too bad that venue had to end.

I was there. Great show!

Archived