Biggest House in metro GR

twoshort

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dick and Betsy Devos have a 16,000 square foot pad along the Thornapple. I believe it's the one you can see on the hill overlooking the river while you're crossing the camelback bridge on Thornapple River Drive (if you look Northwest).

There's also a sprawling colonial along Michigan Street East of Crahen. It's gotta be 10 - 12,000 sf. Hey look, it's for sale:

http://public.grar.com/public/pubrecn.mac/...00014&PT=RE

The guy who I think founded Betz Foundry has a mammoth place in Catamount. Even though it's a gated community, I think it has its own gate and bridge over a creek to get in. It looks larger than most of the country clubs in town.

Also, Les Tassell who is now passed away but founded Lescoa had a huge compound built at the East end of Burton off of Cascade Rd. Apparently it has it's own lake, with statues of a bunch of exotic animals all over the grounds. He apparently was a big game hunter.

There is a real monster in Catamount. I think it's on Old Woods Trail?. Turns out it's not one of the big guns in town, just some guy who has a successful business. I think he lives their with his wife.

I would suspect the largest pad around would be a DeVos or Van Andel Compound in Ada. The Detroit News has a shot of Dick & Betsy's place it in the last six months. Here she is.

EDT: Dad, you beat me to it!

There's also a sprawling colonial along Michigan Street East of Crahen. It's gotta be 10 - 12,000 sf. Hey look, it's for sale:

I think one of the Gantos family members built this one. For those of you who don't know Gantos was a huge woman's clothing retailer based here in GR. At one point they were one of the fastest growing woman's retail clothing operations in the US. Had over a thousand stores across the country. They basically went bankrupt. Simths Aerospace took over their headquarters/distribution on Patterson.

Dick and Betsy Devos have a 16,000 square foot pad along the Thornapple. I believe it's the one you can see on the hill overlooking the river while you're crossing the camelback bridge on Thornapple River Drive (if you look Northwest).
I'm sure thats not the DeVos', my dad told me who owned it a while ago but I forgot. One of the De Vos' just built one accross the street on Ada drive, there is another on around the corner off Hall, and also one off Cascade seen from Burton steet, a Van Andel house is in North Ada somewhere around Honey Creek and maybe another De Vos house

I've heard that was the Gantos old house, yeah remember those stores in the mall and the headquarters on Patterson

The guy who I think founded Betz Foundry has a mammoth place in Catamount. Even though it's a gated community, I think it has its own gate and bridge over a creek to get in. It looks larger than most of the country clubs in town.

Also, Les Tassell who is now passed away but founded Lescoa had a huge compound built at the East end of Burton off of Cascade Rd. Apparently it has it's own lake, with statues of a bunch of exotic animals all over the grounds. He apparently was a big game hunter.

I know everyone has different tastes.. but a lot of times when I look at "Monster Homes" in various areas (I do love looking at them that's for sure), or see specials on TV, they're decorated in a very middle ages, "hey I think it's still 1684 AD", style (not sure what the official "Era" is to classify it). Wonder why that is, I think it's sooooo tacky. Is it because theyr'e big enough to be a castle so the owner feels the need to decorate it as such?

It could be because I'm under 30 and don't know anything about decorating though :dontknow:

I think one of the Gatos family members built this one. For those of you who don't know Gantos was a huge woman's clothing retailer based here in GR. At one point they were one of the fastest growing woman's retail clothing operations in the US. Had over a thousand stores across the country. They basically went bankrupt. Simths Aerospace took over their headquarters/distribution on Patterson.

Gantos. :lol: My wife hated that store.

Catamount and Flowers Crossing have quite a few, and so does the gated neighborhood off of Egypt Valley South of 2 Mile (can't think of the name).

There are a bunch, but they're scattered all over. You talk with enough sub-contractors and they tell all kinds of stories of working on different extravagant houses.

PBJ, go to the Gantos house link I put in and do the virtual tour. It's all gold-leaf wallpaper and very Victorian. :sick: I'm with you on that one.

Gantos. :lol: My wife hated that store.

Catamount and Flowers Crossing have quite a few, and so does the gated neighborhood off of Egypt Valley South of 2 Mile (can't think of the name).

There are a bunch, but they're scattered all over. I just remembered that the owner of HS Die on Lake Michigan Drive has quite the pad just off of LMD out near GVSU. You talk with enough sub-contractors and they tell all.

PBJ, go to the Gantos house link I put in and do the virtual tour. It's all gold-leaf wallpaper and very Victorian. :sick: I'm with you on that one.

Yeah, I changed my post b/c I didn't know if that was exactly the correct style. But yeah I agree it makes me wanna puke a little in my mouth. I would HATE coming home to that crap everywhere. That and the "Country Nick Knack" style do NOTHING for me.

That's the new DeVos pad isn't it? The one that was built a couple of years ago.

Yeah it is... nothing like a $50k summer tax bill to remind you that you have money.

This is the same as the one that mpchicago mentioned on old woods trail. I think it's about 16k sq ft total finished living area..

Yes, that was the old Gantos Estate on Michigan Street...went to school with the neighbors who live in the old white farmhouse in front of it. I met Mrs. Gantos once...that always seems to be her style with the exotic wallpaper, etc. She is a very well done up person. Very nice lady though, she did give some VERY generous graduation cards from what I remember! :D

I would imagine there's got to be something around the hill at 92nd & Eastern. I know there's some fairly large properties out there, and a few larger than average houses.

I've also heard rumour of one off 7th st in Wayland, but could never find it nor find proof.

If we're talking about general area, the house and estate/Horse Farm that I believe the Masts (of Mast Greenhouses) built on 100th and Hana Lake in Caledonia is absoulutely beautiful and extremely LARGE.

I would suspect the largest pad around would be a DeVos or Van Andel Compound in Ada. The Detroit News has a shot of Dick & Betsy's place it in the last six months. Here she is.

EDT: Dad, you beat me to it!

HOLY CRAP . . . .I've walked the road this is off of many a time . . .you can't see back in there of course and I had no idea a compound of this magnitude was back there. What is it w/ the filthy rich that they have to have these monster homes? I'd hate that. (the monster home, not the money haha)

^yeah thats the house (compound) off Hall street, you can't see it from the road but I've seen their cars go in and out of there, my parents live nearby and there are also some mc mansions in right next door in tamaron north

You're correct. As long as we're talking Devos properties, don't forget the 32,897 sq ft spead on Ocean Blvd in sunny florida :)

I think one of the Gantos family members built this one. For those of you who don't know Gantos was a huge woman's clothing retailer based here in GR. At one point they were one of the fastest growing woman's retail clothing operations in the US. Had over a thousand stores across the country. They basically went bankrupt. Simths Aerospace took over their headquarters/distribution on Patterson.

Yeah, the Gantos estate has been on the block for a few years now. Although big, I never like the look of it...its not symmetrical like Brookby. I know the people who sold the property to them, they actually owned all of that land for years before many of those homes were built.

Brookby, the Blodgett Estate, is 11,000 sq. ft. on 8.5 acres in EGR, with a lovely view of Fisk Lake. Although it was the grandest estate in its day (I think it still is up there) there are bigger ones out in the Forest Hills area. Personally, I don't think bigger is roughly better in many cases.

Has anyone ever seen the monster that sits between Cascade Rd and Burton St? You can view it from Burton as you are heading West, right before it hits Kraft. It sits next to the old Fryling property where that infamous murder occurred. It has an orange roof. That looks like a hotel from the distance.

Now that I double check, this might be the same home GRDad was talking about...Tassell?

Has anyone ever seen the monster that sits between Cascade Rd and Burton St? You can view it from Burton as you are heading West, right before it hits Kraft. It sits next to the old Fryling property where that infamous murder occurred. It has an orange roof. That looks like a hotel from the distance.

Now that I double check, this might be the same home GRDad was talking about...Tassell?

No, I know which one you're talking about by the gravel pit lake near Burton and Kraft. I don't know who owns that mansion, but it's pretty large.

The Tassell estate is on Burton where it becomes a dirt road East of Cascade Rd. Tassell used to own that horse ranch right across 32nd Street from the main Lescoa Plant (near 32nd and Schafer). Lescoa is called Meridian Automotive now. You know the large horse ranch with the 12' cyclone fence around it. :huh:

No, I know which one you're talking about by the gravel pit lake near Burton and Kraft. I don't know who owns that mansion, but it's pretty large.

The Tassell estate is on Burton where it becomes a dirt road East of Cascade Rd. Tassell used to own that horse ranch right across 32nd Street from the main Lescoa Plant (near 32nd and Schafer). Lescoa is called Meridian Automotive now. You know the large horse ranch with the 12' cyclone fence around it. :huh:

I know right where you're talking, but I've never been down that dirt road portion. I'll have to check it out. If I recall correctly, I think it was the younger DeVos who owned the shack that I'm recalling. Either way, its big, but I can't say its the most wonderful landscaping...at least from my vantage. It's kinda just there in the open. His brother made a better choice I think. :thumbsup:

That is a De Vos house, I'm just not sure what one. You can also get glimps of the new one off ada drive you can see the big barn too. I played paintball back there a few times years ago when it was just fields

If you are talking about thew huge Prarie Style house you can see from Burton, you actually get to it off Cascade (Cascade Springs development maybe?). You'd never know that monster was back there from the size of the other houses in the development...

Joe

If you are talking about thew huge Prarie Style house you can see from Burton, you actually get to it off Cascade (Cascade Springs development maybe?). You'd never know that monster was back there from the size of the other houses in the development...

Joe

To be honest there are at least two homes back there that are probably bigger than 14k sq ft. The one with the orange roof isn't Devos, it's owned by the owner of Michigan Industrial Tools. There is a Devos home back there though. Access is via Forest Shores Dr off of Cascade according to google maps.

Yeah, there are a few of those scattered throughout EGR, especially down Plymouth and Robinson, built by the Waters, Foote's, Blodgetts, etc....

I've always liked that one Torgo. Again, theres a simple elegance to it, although I'd prefer better landscaping. Still, it has a dignity to it, compared to the extravagence one finds out in Forest Hills.

Of course we don't have any Biltmore's around here (at a modest 175,000 sq. ft.), but another favorite of mine is Holmdene, which once was a private estate, now at Aquinas. And I think the original Dudley Waters Estate (over on College) was rather eye catching as well back in the day, before all those apartments and buildings were built upon the land.

Ahhh, to walk back in time.... :D

Archived