Biggest House in metro GR

twoshort

According to the Ottawa County Web site the owners name is Tyler L. Smith. Who is that? I googled him and came up with "Used Car Motor Mall of Grand Rapids". Anyone know?

He's someone related with Best Buy Used Cars which I think is owned by the Messina family. Don't know who he actually is though.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think I could be any more unimpressed. :dontknow:

I've got two questions: 1) who was the architect for this thing and 2) who the hell builds a 10M spec house in this crappy economy. Gotta believe someone committed to building this thing then lost their shirt and needs to get out of it.

I've been in the house and have a picture, might be able to get more. I don't have much time now, but I'll post more tomorrow or Monday. It sure is big.

Yeah.. the house is a MONSTER inside.. it's still under construction, the owner said it should be done fairly soon. I know there's some more pictures that should be able to get up here soon. Its still at a point that it's hard to tell how "nice" it will be inside, but I can say it's VERY modern looking inside. Reminds me of something you'd see in Miami or something. The bridge over the ravine for the driveway was pretty sweet.

I've been in the house and have a picture, might be able to get more. I don't have much time now, but I'll post more tomorrow or Monday. It sure is big.

I've seen the house as well. I'm overly critical so I won't get into the things I didn't like; however, I will say one of the things that stood out was the hot tub location. I didn't like it. Don't most Michiganders with hot tubs use them in the colder months? I could be wrong, but it didn't seem practical to make someone walk 100 feet (past a scuttled swimming pool that someone could easily fall through) to a hot tub.

The engineering to erect (yes, it's that big) this home was more impressive than the home itself. If I had 10 million to spend on a property, I'd buy 2 or 3 neighboring properties that afford better views of Lake Michigan and don't have a 1/3rd mile walk of undevelopable property to the beach.

• 5 months later...

Hey he is the reason I got my first ever car! Very nice guy and reasonable , this was my first time purchasing a car he got me in one without credit history at the age of 20. The car was nice and ran great, was suprised bacause I was expecting the sleezy type of salesman you always hear about. Sorry to go off topic. And no I dont work for the company :rolleyes:

According to the Ottawa County Web site the owners name is Tyler L. Smith. Who is that? I googled him and came up with "Used Car Motor Mall of Grand Rapids". Anyone know?

I believe what you are looking at is Dick DeVos's indoor regulation ice hockey rink.

I have a friend that works for an HVAC contractor that said he was building one.

Can anyone confirm that? I am pretty sure that is his house.

I don't see enough parking to have it be a public thing.

I believe what you are looking at is Dick DeVos's indoor regulation ice hockey rink.

I have a friend that works for an HVAC contractor that said he was building one.

Can anyone confirm that? I am pretty sure that is his house.

It's my understanding that the photo is of Doug & Maria DeVos' property that they're building for community groups to use. Have heard it termed "The Shack". Believe the intention is to open the grounds up to inner city/nonprofit-types to use for rec-related events; great gift if you ask me.

VanderWeides and Dick DeVos also have similar rec-facilities on their private properties; again, for private and special event use.

It's my understanding that the photo is of Doug & Maria DeVos' property that they're building for community groups to use. Have heard it termed "The Shack". Believe the intention is to open the grounds up to inner city/nonprofit-types to use for rec-related events; great gift if you ask me.

VanderWeides and Dick DeVos also have similar rec-facilities on their private properties; again, for private and special event use.

So are they going to bus the inner city types out there? Or do they all have to drive their own cars?

I would like to learn more about this facility. I wonder if it could be a good place to do a bicycle education course. EDIT: ehhh, maybe not. There's not a good way to get out of there. Guess everyone will just have to drive.

RE: the building/baseball field. According to the township minutes its a 12000 sq ft accessory building on DeVos's 95 acre spread in Ada and "The building's use is for recreational activity for the family and their friends. ... it will have basketball/volleyball courts, weight room, lockers, bathrooms, etc. and it may not be used for any type of commercial activity." It specifically mentions several times that it will be a private facility. It also mentions it was built on his old motorcross track which was built on his old polo field. Polo field, seriously.

RE: the building/baseball field. According to the township minutes its a 12000 sq ft accessory building on DeVos's 95 acre spread in Ada and "The building's use is for recreational activity for the family and their friends. ... it will have basketball/volleyball courts, weight room, lockers, bathrooms, etc. and it may not be used for any type of commercial activity." It specifically mentions several times that it will be a private facility. It also mentions it was built on his old motorcross track which was built on his old polo field. Polo field, seriously.

FYI, When I said community/special event, I meant private events that the DeVos' are involved with.

• 4 weeks later...

not west michigan, but someone must know something about this:

http://www.trophyclassrealestate.com/bin/w...t=0&grp=ALL

"High Fencing Surrounds The Perimeter Of This 1000 Acre Estate Offering Privacy"

"Non Disclosure Statement will need to be signed"

Peaked my interest...

Ha! Go all the way to the bottom and estimate your mortgage payment. :rofl: I couldn't even afford one month.

Archived