Biggest House in metro GR

twoshort

Hmm, that's interesting. Lupton is near West Branch, where Charlton Heston owned a big multi-acre estate at one time. I wonder if this is the place.

Has anyone else seen the big development project they're doing on Ada Drive just as it curves and heads down into downtown Ada? It almost looks like a park, but I don't know if it's just the entrance to a home. It sits right out at the front of the Devos (or Van Andel's property).

It's not shown on here, but this is where it is:

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&...4&encType=1

Well, it's there if you toggle around a bit and it changes angles:

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&...1&encType=1

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

Not huge by their standards at only 5500 sq ft above grade, but Doug and Maria paid $3,000,000 for the house across the lake pond from them. That's a pretty significant sale for Cascade Twp and for GR metro as a whole... My guess would be they paid above market value to ensure their privacy.

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&...1&encType=1

Not huge by their standards at only 5500 sq ft above grade, but Doug and Maria paid $3,000,000 for the house across the lake pond from them. That's a pretty significant sale for Cascade Twp and for GR metro as a whole... My guess would be they paid above market value to ensure their privacy.

Probably a lot of acreage with this parcel, perhaps even the water? House they're buying is owned by Maria's family. Beautiful setting over there.

• 4 weeks later...

Wasn't that house Maria's parents home, where her father was murdered by the prostitute/pimp or some story to that effect awhile back?

• 2 weeks later...

I think you are correct. The Fryling murder. Guy owned Fryling construction, killed by a pimp/prostitute.

Joe

Ah, thanks for supplying the name, I had forgotton. Did a google search, some info still there. He was murdered in his home (off Burton St) in 1993. I believe Maria DeVos was a Fryling and he was her dad.

Ah, thanks for supplying the name, I had forgotton. Did a google search, some info still there. He was murdered in his home (off Burton St) in 1993. I believe Maria DeVos was a Fryling and he was her dad.

Whatever happened to the big compound that Rich DeVos owned on Macatawa? It was torn down, but did anything go up to replace it?

Something HUGE is going up in to replace it. Dick and Betsy DeVos ended up buying it and tearing it down. The only thing left is the helicopter pad (somewhat ironic, eh?)

ah, that's right. still amazed they razed that other place! What a different world that must be to raze a 10,000+SF home for something else!

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I ride my bike past this house often (thanks to Cascade Township buying the property around the house) and I think this would make a *FANTASTIC* wedding reception facility. People would fight to have their wedding there.

Joe

• 1 month later...

From an design perspective, it looks like a pretty well furnished house. :) Don't know if that means it is Israels, but it looks "well appointed". :)

Joe

He definitely owned it at one time, under the corporation name '55 Corporation.' Resident Agent: ROBERT R ISRAELS. The deed was transferred to John Mark Company in 2006. No real info on that corp.

Who knows what any of that means.

From an design perspective, it looks like a pretty well furnished house. :) Don't know if that means it is Israels, but it looks "well appointed". :)

Maybe it was used for business purposes - a show-house for entertaining wealthy customers, for instance.

Also, I would think that he would have listed it in his own name (rather than a corporation) if he was living there - the tax advantage of being able to claim it as his primary residence would have been huge.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived