New Condo Project and Apartments in Chattanooga

ATLBrain

Hankster must be busy 'cause I know he would have put this out here.

Two developers are vying for the right to build on an existing parking lot across Cherry Street (at 3rd) from the very high-quality Cherry Street Townhouses. One of the developers is the builder of those townhouses. His proposal includes about 18 townhouses similar to those built across Cherry. Some portion of the new ones would face 3rd Street. The other developer in the competition wants to put in more units for sale. No renderings available right now.

In addition to this project, there is a proposal for 120 apartments in the next block over across walnut Street. These will include a mix of studio and 1 and 2 bedroom apartments. They will be on Walnut and across Riverside Drive from the Hunter Museum. In addition, one block over at the corner of Georgia and 4th will be the new 5-story office building replacing the old election commission building and a vacant parking lot. This whole area is getting a lot of attention.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hankster must be busy 'cause I know he would have put this out here.

Two developers are vying for the right to build on an existing parking lot across Cherry Street (at 3rd) from the very high-quality Cherry Street Townhouses. One of the developers is the builder of those townhouses. His proposal includes about 18 townhouses similar to those built across Cherry. Some portion of the new ones would face 3rd Street. The other developer in the competition wants to put in more units for sale. No renderings available right now.

In addition to this project, there is a proposal for 120 apartments in the next block over across walnut Street. These will include a mix of studio and 1 and 2 bedroom apartments. They will be on Walnut and across Riverside Drive from the Hunter Museum. In addition, one block over at the corner of Georgia and 4th will be the new 5-story office building replacing the old election commission building and a vacant parking lot. This whole area is getting a lot of attention.

This is an update for a project that already has two threads: The first thread "More houseing to be built at 2nd and Walnut St.", and the second "Two more parcels in downtown Chattanooga to get condos/apartments"

This will be a nice urban neighborhood once completed. I can't wait for more of UnumProvident's lots to be built on. I hate surface parking in downtown areas it takes away from the density.

The following is from http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_93973.asp

$15 Million Townhouse Project, 120 Apartments Approved Downtown

posted October 3, 2006

The Chattanooga Downtown Redevelopment Corporation approved two new major downtown residential projects on Tuesday afternoon.

The panel accepted a proposal for 120 residential rental units at Walnut and Second.

They also chose a $15 million townhouse project at Cherry Street across from the Cherry Street Townhomes.

Two local development groups were competing for the right to build the new townhouse project. The unanimous vote was for the plan by Urban Renaissance. It includes 14 units with 2,185 to 3,050 square feet selling from the mid-$500s to the high $700s and eight units with 3,276 to 3,766 square feet selling for from the low $800s to $1 million.

Chattanooga Land Company, which built the successful Cherry Street Townhomes, also put in a bid.

CDRC members said both projects were excellent, but the Urban Renaissance plan was for a project over $15 million compared to one under $10 million. They also noted that Urban Renaissance offered more for the land - $1,000,075 compared to $873,600.

The Urban Renaissance project will feature "architecture reminiscent of old urban neighborhoods with modern influences to blend the old and new of the Walnut Hill neighborhood."

All units will have a minumum of three bedrooms.

Heading that group are developers Dale Mabee, Don Moon and Mike Moon.

Members of the CDRC are City Finance Director Daisy Madison, Mayor's Chief of Staff Dan Johnson, City Councilwoman Sally Robinson, builder David Dalton and Homebuilders Association President Julian Bell.

Developers John K. Clark, David Hudson and Bob McKenzie are to build the 120 residential units at Walnut and Second. They are to include 88 studio apartments with 600 square feet, 24 one-bedroom units with 750 square feet and eight two-bedroom units with 950 square feet.

There would also be commercial space at the Walnut Street level as well as 135 parking spaces.

Officials said approximately 20 percent of the units will be affordable to those at 80 percent of medium income.

Design will be by ArtTech Design Group and construction by CEI.

The same group did Frazier Place, The Bread Factory, Bristol on Broadway, Perimeter Park, Lafolette Medical and Southern Saddlery.

The group had asked the city to donate the land for the $9.3 million project. The site is about two acres. However, Mr. Johnson said the land could not be donated. He and Mr. Dalton will work out terms and the payment schedule.

The site at Cherry and Third is a block now used by UnumProvident for surface parking. Most of the block will go for the townhouses, but a portion will be reserved for public parking

Mr. Bell said it was encouraging that there was a move of suburban developers to downtown residential projects.

Rich Hitchcock, a resident at the Cherry Street Townhomes, urged approval of the Chattanooga Land Company proposal. He said it included more affordable units and that was needed for a viable downtown.

Don Rodgers, another Cherry Street Townhomes resident, questioned whether developers would be able to sell the expensive townhomes. He noted there are a number of condo projects coming on line, including several in North Chattanooga.

Personally I had hoped that Chattanooga Land would of won the bid. They recently finished about a dozen row houses directly across the street from the newly proposed condos. I know that they would of made them blend in well with the existing structures.

Awarded Townhomes: photo_8803_large.jpg

So when will the Riverbluffs Phase II (katty-corner) to this apartment proposal be started? I understand every unit sold out in 1 day at auction. How many units in that project?

If I'm not mistaken ground breaking was yesterday Oct 3 2006.

I believe Museum Bluff Apartments consists of 107 units.

It's great to hear that Museum Bluffs II Has broken ground! I've been out of town for several days without internet access. All of these project are going to yeild a wonderful downtown community in the Arts Bluff district. It will be the "in" place to be, without a doubt! When I get back to my computer on Monday, I'll post some Arts Bluff District photos for everyone to see. It's a truly great place.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
The following is from http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_93973.asp

Personally I had hoped that Chattanooga Land would of won the bid. They recently finished about a dozen row houses directly across the street from the newly proposed condos. I know that they would of made them blend in well with the existing structures.

Awarded Townhomes: photo_8803_large.jpg

Archived