PROPOSED: Filene's Tower

Cotuit

filenestower.jpg

Filene's project to feature a high-rise. Condos, offices, hotel, stores part of plan in Downtown Crossing. [Boston Globe]

Plan includes 180,000 square feet of retail (including possibly a Target and high end grocery, Filene's Basement will keep it's location), 140 residences (20 below market rate), 500,000 square feet of office space, and a 207 room boutique hotel.

The 1912 Filene's Building and a 1905 structure at Franklin and Hawley streets will be preserved. The rest of the buildings on the site will be torn down to make way for the new tower.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hooooraaaayyyy!!!!

I work right next door at 101 Arch and would LOVE to have a Shaw's next door....the frontage along Franklin is so unattractive, but the Chucarero faithful will be upset.

Now I just have to stop posting on UP, and start working my a$$ off so I can live next there too, but I'm having a feeling that these might not be in my price range.....

A Target could be good....in Stamford Target opened its first "urban" target in the downtown area. Target is part of a mixed use projet to get make up for the mistakes of building the big suburban Stamford Town Center Mall downtown. The Target in Boston would then be the second "urban" target

I guess it's relative (in comparison to Stop & Shop)....there is already Lambert's Market up on Tremont 2 blocks away that sells premium meats, cheeses, etc., and Whole Foods is rumored to be going in next to South Station.....downtown really needs a "upscale" but not specialty grocer.

Separately, I heard Shaw's may be looking at a site next to North Station.

A bit more from the article, this tower would be 38 stories and 495 feet high, which would be just slightly shorter than the new 1 Lincoln St. building, and slightly taller than the new Ritz Carlton towers.

• 3 weeks later...

A Target could be good....in Stamford Target opened its first "urban" target in the downtown area. Target is part of a mixed use projet to get make up for the mistakes of building the big suburban Stamford Town Center Mall downtown. The Target in Boston would then be the second "urban" target

There has been an "urban Target" in the Buckhead section of Atlanta for years, it's two stories with special escalators for your cart.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

There were two contradictory reports this weekend about Filene's Basement. The Globe said the Downtown Crossing store would close for two years, and then reopen. The Business Jornals said they would be moving into upstairs space formerly occupied by Filene's.

I'm hoping for the latter, but either way, I'm really excited by the who project. Though I probably would rarely if ever shop at Target, I think it will bring a lot more people to DTXing.

UPDATE:

Filene's Basement, a staple in Boston's Downtown Crossing shopping district for nearly a century, will move upstairs in the former Filene's building in a few weeks, company officials told the Boston Business Journal Monday.

The basement location will close for renovations soon and the store will set up shop in the first floor until late September when the store will undergo liquidation, according to Filene's Basement general manager Donald Darling.

Here is the complete article from the Boston Business Journal. It now says that Filene's will look for a temporary home for 2 years starting in September while the site is under contruction and when it reopens in the new/rehabbed complex, the store will occupy 3 floors, including the basement.

Article

This sounds like it will be a short-term blow for DTXing for a long-term win. (expanded FB and possibly new Target), plus new office space, residences and hotel. Anyone want to wager what hotel will be built?

I wish they had given some notice. I'm going to scramble up there to go to the old Basement one last time. I know they'll be back after the renovation, but I'm sure it just won't be the same. :(

EDIT: Why can't anyone write an article that actually explains what is happening here? I hadn't read the BBJ story before. It sounds like they are expanding to the first floor in a few weeks, then closing down at the end of the summer for renovation, 'expand' as in they will be both upstairs and downstairs. A report I read earlier in the Globe implied they were 'moving' upstairs (moving as in the downstairs would close) in a few weeks, then moving out all together at the end of the summer. Did any of these reporters call anyone at Filene's Basement and ask to have it explained to them?

• 3 weeks later...

Filene's Basement in talks to stay downtown [The Boston Globe]

Plan would move the Basement temporarily to the Barnes & Noble location across Washington Street which recently closed. The two sides are far apart right now on a fair rent agreement and the city will likely get involved to broker a deal.

• 2 months later...

Just a small update....the developers of the new tower are proposing to include an upscale restaurant, likely to be included as part of the 226-room luxury hotel.

Hopefully they will serve (at a reasonable price) as that part of downtown really does have limited dining options for the office works....there is Vinalia and a smattering of "irish pubs" and a bunch of fast food....I can only eat so much Wendy's and Al Capone subs.

Downtown Crossing would get a flagship, upscale restaurant as part of a $600 million-plus plan to redevelop the landmark Filene

A bit more info on the proposed tower.

The grocery store would be 2 levels and approximately 50k-55k sq. ft. At that size, this sounds like it could be a Shaw's or Whole Foods....preferably Shaw's.

General retail space would be approximately 255k sq. ft. This includes the expanded Filene's Basement that will occupy 3 floors at about 90k sq. ft. Still no word if Target is a definite.

Here are a bunch of updated renderings....this thing gets more attractive, each time it is revised.

The original rendering is on the first post of this thread.

The next rendering is below. (The tower is 574' 6" in this version)

post-1289-1178634001_thumb.jpg

Now, the CURRENT rendering. (I don't have a height, but it's obviously similar) Look how much better the screening around the mechanical level at the top is.

post-1289-1178633831_thumb.jpg

Current design down Franklin St.

post-1289-1178634056_thumb.jpg

View from Washington St.

post-1289-1178634084_thumb.jpg

And a revised rendering of Shopper's Park with a sexy new T entrace.

post-1289-1178634151_thumb.jpg

post-1289-1178633831_thumb.jpg

post-1289-1178634001_thumb.jpg

post-1289-1178634056_thumb.jpg

post-1289-1178634084_thumb.jpg

post-1289-1178634151_thumb.jpg

Here are several more renderings.

The first is a material compostion rendering. I posted the old first then the new. I circled the notes that caught my attention. In the old rendering, part of the facade is mentioned as possibly being Terra Cotta :thumbsup: but in the new rendering it is mentioned only as being "opaque". Hopefully Terra Cotta is still being considered, as it would really make the building truly classy, and accent the existing Terra Cotta on the original Filene's building.

Old - post-1289-1178720905_thumb.jpg New - post-1289-1178720899_thumb.jpg

Here is a rendering looking north up Washington St with Macy's in the foreground.

post-1289-1178720984_thumb.jpg

And here is a rendering of lower portion of the tower along Washington, where there are currently a bunch of walk-up fast food places. Notice the two levels of escelators that would take people up to the 3rd and 4th floors (which I circled) which is the portion Target would occupy if they commit. The T/Filene's Basement entrance looks nice and cleaned up, but I really hope they plan on allowing Lambert's Market to return to there corner space.

post-1289-1178721176_thumb.jpg

Finally, here it is in the skyline as viewed from the Public Garden. It's taller than I expected, and really stands out along with Ritz-Common and 1 Beacon.

post-1289-1178721259_thumb.jpg

post-1289-1178720899_thumb.jpg

post-1289-1178720905_thumb.jpg

post-1289-1178720984_thumb.jpg

post-1289-1178721176_thumb.jpg

post-1289-1178721259_thumb.jpg

I honestly do not see a single downside to this proposal. It involves a *beautiful* tower and it would infuse a lot of life into a struggling area. If any NIMBY's get into a fight over this project, or if the BRA for some insane reason decides to reject the proposal, I might leave Boston (a little exhaggeration, but you get the point). This is an awesome proposal.

• 1 month later...

Also, according to the Globe....Club Monaco will likely be joining the Filene's towers development.......seems like they are really going after the young/trendy demographic here. I'm guessing we will see a Jasmine Sola as well.

More on this project from the Boston Herald

I like the idea of Meridien, but J.W. Marriott would be a bit bland for the project. St. Regis is said to be seeking "waterfront or parkside locations" only. In any event, this should be a great project. I love the old Filene's building.

The first approximate start date that I've heard was released today in the print BBJ. They hope to begin construction of the new tower this September. Being Boston, I'm not counting on it, but it sounds like it may be the first office project to get under way....unless you count Russia Wharf, where I'm not really sure of the status since the site was sold to Boston Properties....work continues, but seems to have slowed.

• 4 weeks later...

This tower is close to landing Boston's first JW Marriot, which is Marriot's most upscale brand besides Ritz-Carlton.

According to the Boston Herald

Project developers are in exclusive talks with the high-end hotelier, which would run a 250-room, $150 million hotel in part of a tower proposed for the current Filene

• 2 months later...

Archived