Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cocothief

NWA Public Art

19 posts in this topic

New Topic, to discuss new, existing or the need for more public art in the cities of the Upstate Arkansas region.

I found this interesting article in the Northwest Arkansas Times about a public art display along I-540. The article is almost two months old but I didn't see any discussion on it here. Besides, hey, new topic..

The article says this should last for 6-8 years...

The Houston artist has been commissioned by the Walton Arts Center to create sculptures for display along Interstate 540 from Fayetteville to Bella Vista. The project, titled

Wow, I didn't realize this was a go. Thanks for the update cocothief. There will be seven groupings of 15- to 30-foot flowerlike sculptures with bonnets of varying sizes in a rainbow of colors. I hope this won't be cheesy like some of the pics we've seen earlier, or that it won't interfere with I-540 expansion. I'm glad to see this, it will be something interesting as well add culture to the area.

Yeah we discussed that particular artist over on the Walton Arts Center topic. I even took some pics of some of his artwork in front of the Nadine Baum Studios. I wasn't sure where the situation was at because I knew the AHTD wasn't happy about putting the sculptures along I-540. I got the impression though that they were just going to have to move them back a bit and get permission to put them on private land. But yes I certainly think we need more art. Going to Santa Fe and seeing sculptures all over the place recently made me think about it even more. I'd really like to see some sculptures and fountains. Maybe the idea of a park that's a bit more urban themed. Like some of the more urban style parks you see in other cities.

I'd really like to see some sculptures and fountains. Maybe the idea of a park that's a bit more urban themed. Like some of the more urban style parks you see in other cities.

Like Founders Park in Springfield. That's the most urban park I've ever seen outside of Forth Worth, TX.

Anyway, I'm excited about the freeway art and can't wait to see them.

All this reminds me, cocothief did you get a chance to see any of Hank Kaminsky's sculptures he had out for the Fayetteville Arts Festival?

Wow, I didn't realize this was a go. Thanks for the update cocothief. There will be seven groupings of 15- to 30-foot flowerlike sculptures with bonnets of varying sizes in a rainbow of colors. I hope this won't be cheesy like some of the pics we've seen earlier, or that it won't interfere with I-540 expansion. I'm glad to see this, it will be something interesting as well add culture to the area.

To my understanding, as of recently it is *NOT* a go. Check out the bottom of the article (it's an old article-- it says "The project has not been approved by the Arkansas Highway and Transportation Department").

To my understanding, as of recently it is *NOT* a go. Check out the bottom of the article (it's an old article-- it says "The project has not been approved by the Arkansas Highway and Transportation Department").

Awww man!

But couldn't they still put them up on private land? Granted they would be further back and not as visible from I-540.

Damn. :cry:

But couldn't they still put them up on private land? Granted they would be further back and not as visible from I-540.

Sure could. That'll be interesting to see who will allow it on their land-- they wouldn't be compensated for it I imagine.

I personally think they are cheesy. I've seen the ones near the Johnson Exit and then I saw the ones they are putting up near JB Hunt today. They just look so out of place and...random.

Yeah I've seen a few myself. Yeah I admit they aren't particularly to my personal taste either. But I still like the idea of showcasing more art in the area. So I'm not going to complain even if it isn't to my personal liking.

Anyone interested in locating all of the "I-540 Flowers" can refer to the following guide map:

Here's a pic so you know what you're looking for

862091609_8a8ddf5757_o.jpg

Numbers here match those on the map:

Home base Several sculptures are installed on the Walton Arts Center campus in downtown Fayetteville, 495 W. Dickson Street.

1 The first cluster of sculptures can be found on the northbound side of the highway, immediately after the exit 67 underpass in Fayetteville.

2 Just after exit 72 in Johnson, on the southbound side of the highway, you

Thanks for providing a map of all the locations. I've always wondered if there were more, but I guess not. I actually don't mind these structures too much, I just wish they were a bit bigger.

I was wondering if they were still up. They had to take the ones down around the WAC because of vandalism. The graffiti and vandalism that seemed to be happening in other parts of the metro for a while seems to have made it to Fayetteville now. The U of A has had a lot of graffiti pop up the past week or two.

I was wondering if they were still up. They had to take the ones down around the WAC because of vandalism. The graffiti and vandalism that seemed to be happening in other parts of the metro for a while seems to have made it to Fayetteville now. The U of A has had a lot of graffiti pop up the past week or two.