NC Gay Pride Festival this weekend

Damien

This weekend the GLBT community will overtake Duke University's east campus to celebrate NC Pride. Not only will Durham see its fair share of all things queer this weekend, Raleigh and Chapel Hill will as well. To see a listing of all the events you can check out this link. Any of you guys going to be there?

Sorry if there is another thread about this. I think I remember another thread on this topic from last year, but I searched and couldn't find it.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My roomate and I will be there. I love how the main festivites have been held in Durham for so many years, it shows that Durham tends to be very accepting overall...I haven't been since 2001 and had a great time then. I was considering going out to Legends tonight with some friends but on second thought there will probably be some serious price gouging on the cover going on like at other special events so I think I'll pass....

I only seen one protestor. He was standing on the street corner with a huge white cross that says Jesus saves. Nobody seemed to be paying him any attention though. I did notice that a lot of church groups had marching groups or floats in the parade, and it wasnt just the gay churches.

I went last weekend, and had a FANTASTIC time. The crowds seemed bigger this year and while it was the first year I've ever gone and seen protesters (I've been going since 1999), it really seemed to pump up the crowd... louder and longer cheers and just a lot more excitement.

Durham is a wonderfully acceping city... and I feel that its really a shining star that is under-recognized for its racial and ethnic and sexual diversity and its seemingly "pro-different" attitude.

BTW, did anybody go to Legends on Saturday night? I swear I've never seen it as packed as it was... surely over capacity, but really a grand crowd. I would like to think that Raleigh could support another gay bar/club, but its been tried so many times over the years and not worked.

But I digress, PRIDE was fabulous! Can't wait until next year!

• 2 weeks later...

I was hoping you guys could tell me about the gay clubs/bars in Raleigh. I know Raleigh has Capital Corral, Flex, and Legends. I'm wondering what kind of people go to each club. Is there a lot of "attitude?" Are any of them good for newbies? Would you recommend going to one of them alone? I've never been to any bar/club either gay or straight. I've known I'm gay for 10 years, but I've never acted on it because even after all these years I still don't know any gay people here in Roanoke Rapids. I'm on vacation from work next week and I've decided I'm finally going to meet some other gay people. I'm tired of not having any gay friends or even knowing any gay people (except my sister). Any advice is appreciated.

I was hoping you guys could tell me about the gay clubs/bars in Raleigh. I know Raleigh has Capital Corral, Flex, and Legends. I'm wondering what kind of people go to each club. Is there a lot of "attitude?" Are any of them good for newbies? Would you recommend going to one of them alone? I've never been to any bar/club either gay or straight. I've known I'm gay for 10 years, but I've never acted on it because even after all these years I still don't know any gay people here in Roanoke Rapids. I'm on vacation from work next week and I've decided I'm finally going to meet some other gay people. I'm tired of not having any gay friends or even knowing any gay people (except my sister). Any advice is appreciated.

Flex isn't all that bad if you can get over the fact that they serve peanuts out of a urinal. They have really cheap drinks some nights, and themed nights. Like on Tuesdays they have karaoke, Thursday nights they have the popular Trailor park Prize night with comedy drag, Fridays they have showtune night. Saturdays are the more hardcore nights with the leather/bear crowd. CC is probably the best bet for a non-pretentious crowd, although there is going to be plenty of pretense and attitude in any club like RaleighRob said. They have shows on Friday nights if you're into that. Legends is mostly the younger "trendier" crowd with all the TJ Maxx DKNY and Ebay D&G wearing guys :lol: Sunday is the big show night at Legends which is hosted by former Miss NC Kirby Kolby. If you're a bit too apprehensive to try out the club scene just yet you could give Third Place coffee shop on Glenwood Ave. in Five Points a try. There are usually several gay guys there. Or you could meet some people online and have them meet you at one of the clubs. Going at it alone wouldn't be my suggestion if it is going to be your first time out in the gay scene.

^ Agreed with most of what Damien says.

As an alternative to the club scene, there are a good deal of social organizations in the Triangle for the LGBT community. I've seen a good listing on www.trianglelocalevents.com as well as listings of social events and other "goings on" in the region. You can also subscribe to an email listserv to get weekly announcements of stuff happening.

Thanks for the advice guys! I realize that going to a club probably isn't the best place to meet someone the first time, but at least there you can assume that everyone is either gay or at least gay friendly. I can't find any gay organizations here in Roanoke Rapids.

I'm not even necessarily looking for a boyfriend. I just want to be around other gay people and not have to worry about being ridiculed for being gay. I'm still in the closet to everyone except my sister, but I've wanted to tell my family really bad lately. I'm not quite to the point where I want to have "the" talk, but if they found out themselves I'd just deal with it. Maybe I'll tell them after the busy fall/winter holidays. I feel like it's time to break out of my shell.

I still think I'm going to go to Raleigh. I'll probably go to White Rabbit, a mall, maybe hit the IMAX and/or Monet exhibit at the NC Museum of Art. If I can work up the courage I might go to Capital Corral. I can always leave if I don't like it. I might even stop by Third Place. I'll be going sometime between Oct 20 & 28, but I don't know the exact day. I'll let you know how I make out. Thanks again guys!

I'm going to check out trianglelocalevents.com and see what other gay resources are in the Triangle.

Archived