GA's Fortune 500 List

Guest donaltopablo

Guest donaltopablo

Fortune 500 boasts 16 from Georgia

The Associated Press

Published on: 03/22/04

Georgia is home to 16 Fortune 500 companies, according to the annual ranking to be published in Fortune magazine's April 5 edition.

The ranking of the nation's largest companies is based on the companies' sales figures as reported in financial statements for 2003.

-No. 13 Home Depot Inc. is the nation's largest home improvement store chain, with revenues of $64.816 billion. Atlanta-based Home Depot has 1,707 stores and plans to add 175 more stores in 2004. (Last year: No. 13)

-No. 42 UPS Inc., based in Atlanta, with revenues of $33.485 billion, is the world's largest shipping carrier. (Last year: No. 43)

-No. 80 BellSouth Corp., based in Atlanta, with revenues of $22.635 billion, serves 44 million customers in Georgia, Tennessee, Florida, Alabama, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina and South Carolina. (Last year: No. 77)

-No. 91 Coca-Cola Inc., based in Atlanta, with revenues of $21.044 billion, is the world's largest beverage maker with 3,700 employees. (Last year: No. 92)

-No. 94 Georgia-Pacific Corp., based in Atlanta, with revenues of $20.255 billion, is one of the world's leading manufacturers of tissue, packaging, paper, building products, pulp and related chemicals. It employs about 61,000 people in North America and Europe. (Last year: No. 74)

-No. 112 Coca-Cola Enterprises Inc., with revenues of $17.330 billion, is the world's largest Coca-Cola bottler. The Atlanta-based company bottles Coke products in 46 states and is 40 percent owned by Coca-Cola. (Last year: No. 108)

-No. 150 Delta Air Lines, based in Atlanta, with revenues of $13.303 billion, is the nation's third largest airline. (Last year: No. 145)

-No. 172 AFLAC (American Family Life Assurance Co.), with revenues of $11.447 billion. The insurance company is based in Columbus. (Last year: No. 183)

-No. 178 Southern Co., with revenues of $11.251 billion, is an Atlanta-based utility holding company with 4 million customers and nearly 39,000 megawatts of generating capacity. It owns electric utilities in Georgia, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida. (Last year: No. 177)

-No. 244 Genuine Parts Inc., with revenues of $8.449 billion, is a distributor of automotive replacement parts in the U.S., Canada and Mexico. The Atlanta-based company's subsidiaries distribute office products and electrical and electronic components. (Last year: No. 227)

-No. 261 Newell Rubbermaid Inc., with revenues of $7.750 billion, recently moved to Alpharetta in suburban Atlanta. It's the first Fortune 500 company to move to the Atlanta area since UPS moved to Sandy Springs from Greenwich, Conn., in 1991. (Last year: No. 251)

-No. 272 SunTrust Banks Inc., based in Atlanta, with revenues of $7.071 billion, is the nation's 10th largest commercial bank. (Last year: No. 248)

-No. 314 Mirant Corp., with revenues of $5.863 billion, filed for bankruptcy on July 14. The struggling energy supplier, based in Atlanta, is working to emerge from bankruptcy. (Last year: No. 259)

-No. 318 Cox Communications Inc., based in Atlanta, with revenues of $5.759 billion, is the nation's fourth-largest cable provider, with just under 7 million subscribers. It is a subsidiary of Cox Enterprises, which also owns The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. (Last year: No. 329)

-No. 349 Mohawk Industries Inc., with revenues of $5.005 billion. The Calhoun-based company is the nation's second-largest carpet manufacturer. (Last year: No. 361)

-No. 476 AGCO, with revenues of $3.495 billion. The Duluth-based company is the world's third largest manufacturer of farm machinery. (Last year: not listed)

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest donaltopablo

I wonder if there is a state by state list.

If you pay fortune money you can create "custom" lists based on city, state, pretty much whatever you want.

• 5 weeks later...

donal wrote:

If you pay fortune money you can create "custom" lists based on city, state, pretty much whatever you want.

I start taking a collection. ;) Maybe we can sign up the "organization" here.

As far as Atlanta goes, they have been the Seattle of the South, all the "new economy" brands are based there or in Seattle IMHO. Starbucks, UPS (an old co. but a new fortune), Home Depot, Microsoft, Costco, Delta, etc.

Couple of things that bother me though, SunTrust was the merged co's of SunBank (Orlando) and CenTrust (Miami) so Atlanta Stole them from Florida? See that's why we gotta beat the Bulldogs every year at the world's largest cocktail party lol.

Also isn't Southern Co. really a Co-op of different electrical vendors? I mean they aren't a "corporation" in the same sense as a UPS or Home Depot.

Guest donaltopablo

See that's why we gotta beat the Bulldogs every year at the world's largest cocktail party lol.
Your a gators fan?! Rock on! I'm a huge Gators fan. I've been loving the last 5 years or so of Gator domination.

Also isn't Southern Co. really a Co-op of different electrical vendors? I mean they aren't a "corporation" in the same sense as a UPS or Home Depot.

No, it's a real corporation. I don't know enough about it's history and how it got formed, but it operates as a parent corporation to Florida Power, GA Power, Alabama Power, etc.

Florida Power is a subsidary of "Progress Energy" really their own creation as a holding company, they aren't related to Southern.

But yes Southern I have heard is a roping together of a few different local power companies in Ga. S.C. 'bama etc. I guess you could make that a corporation but in the true sense of the word a corporation is something that grows organically and might buy out some smaller players, not an "alliance" gone legit. But all the more power to Atlanta, I know here in the 'burgh, we have 3 little indians (Allegheny, Duquesne, and a division of that giant out of Ohio--the one responsible for the big blackout last year) Allegheny is a few bucks short of Fortune 500 status, DQE is way behind but if they had accepted the buy out from Allegheny they already would have been #492 or close there. :)

Guest donaltopablo

Your right on the Florida Power, my mistake.

Here is the list of the power companies:

Alabama Power

Georgia Power

Gulf Power

Mississippi Power

Savannah Electric

Markets:

Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi

In some way Southern has grown into a legit corporation. Take SouthernLinc for example (which they didn't even intend to be a company). So I agree it probably was like a co-op, but has developed into a corporation.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

How bout dem Dawgs!  Who won this year?  Oh yeah, not Florida... :) 

Ok, I had to put that in there, but I still like your Gator girls!  Does anybody know metro Atlanta's ranking in F500 HQ's, the last time I heard I think we were somewhere near the top 3 or top 5.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, enjoy your one victory of us in what, the last 6 years? Your lucky we fired our coach just before the game :)

Archived