Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cloudship

A Vacation

30 posts in this topic

OK. I am planning a vacation. And it has got me thinking.

If someone asked you where would be the best place to go on vacation, where would that be? Let's narrow it down a bit - has to be the US. Say they are looking for something along the lines of a european city - someplace fun to walk around and explore, don't need a car, good for a single traveler, and maybe needs to be at least tolerable at all times of the year.

Outside of the big cities like New York and Chicago, it seems most of our vacation destinations are not urban places.

So where would you recommend, and why? Is night-life important or not? Does your choosen city only attract a certain kind of person, for instance an outdoor lover or people watcher? I did not make this a poll because I am really trying to get at how cities either do or do not take advantage of tourist traffic, and how tourism helps or hurst a city.

S*A*N F*R*A*N*C*I*S*C*O

The best food in the country. period.

Awesome place to walk; no car needed.

Friendly people who love the tourists.

Terrific shopping.

Scenery that will knock your socks off.

Fabulous architecture abounds.

A spirit in the city you have to experience (can't be described)

Haight Ashbury!!!!

You could go to Pittsburgh, i hear its nice.

If you dont mind going to Canada, Toronto is nice, too.

I'd probably choose Boston or Seattle.

Boston, Montreal, Providence, DC

Definately have to agree with San Francisco as the best tourist city. San Diego, Washington DC, and Boston would also be good choices. And plus, you can never go wrong with some Nashville! ;)

cheerio you're so right about D.C.! After S.F., my next recommendation would be D.C.:)

Definitely San Francisco! A most excellent city with plenty of culture, landmarks, outstanding food, shopping, and the eclectic populace!

After San Francisco, I would say New York, D.C., and Chicago.

My next vacation will probably be Branson, MO. I hate country music but they have a lot of other fun stuff to do. I haven't been to the new Branson landing and i would like to check it out. ($500 million shoping/condo development on the lakefront). The landing has a $8 million fountain that was made by the same guys as the Vegas fountain thats always on TV.

I'm planning a Springfied/Branson Trip myself.

I hope to see the Bass Pro Shopps HQ, a game at John Q. Hammons AA Field, The Aquarium/Living Animal Thing, Silver Dollar City, etc.

Boston, Montreal, Providence, DC

I was going to say Montreal myself, though not the US it is just as easy to get to. I went this past May to one of the BEST long weekends in years. It feels truly European, you will take a short trip but feel like you are not in the US. It is also fantastically beautiful, the old part of town has buildings dating from the 1600's, and it is all VERY urban. I can't wait to go back.

If you like food the restaurants were awesome and dining is leisurly -- don't expect to be in and out in less than 2 hours if it is a good restuarant, even for lunch. Frech attitude, enjoy the meal and have wine to let the conversation flow.

On Sunday the waterfront was filled with street performers and people strolling all over.

Branson is one I never thought of. But I notice that most of the replies always come up with maybe the same 5 cities - San Francisco, Boston, Washington D.C., Montreal (and if they are really imaginative, Quebec City), and Chicago.

All of them are larger cities. Why havn't any smaller cities really made an impact as a tourist city? Are they just too small? Is it the public transportation? I would imagine that there has to be some more interesting smaller cities in the country, but you never hear about them. It's kind of sad, really, that more attention is not focused on them.

St. Augustine, Florida's population is about 15,000 and it's a fantastic tourist destination. My highest recommendation for anyone who loves history and architecture.

St. Augustine is also extremely affordable, even for the most skimpy budget. Orlando is about 2 hours away, and Jacksonville is about 45 minutes away. A vacation to see the three cities would be lots of fun!

oh by the way, Jacksonville is a damn nice place to vacation as well. Riverside, Springfield and San Marco are large historic neighborhoods that are interesting to visit. Jax also has good restaurants, with excellent food and service almost anywhere ya go:)

Asheville, NC

Charleston, SC

I just got back from Asheville. Unfortunately the foliage hasn't quite kicked in yet. It's my favorite place to visit in the fall.

I second Asheville and Charleston. How about Portland, ME or Portsmouth, NH for smaller cities? Someone also mentioned Providence. The thing about many of these smaller cities is that I imagine a long weekend vacation there entailing a trip to some of the natural surroundings in outlying areas, which would require a car. But the center cities themselves are charming and walkable.

To me, history has always been a big thing--either that or big cities.

I really loved visiting some of the smaller cities along the Georgia and South Carolina coasts. There's some great historical value to a lot of those little towns. I love learning about history, so visiting towns like Beaufort (SC), Brunswick (GA), St. Augustine, etc.

I also mentioned big cities. It's probably because I spend most of my times in the suburbs that I just can't wait for my next trip to a big city. Chicago, Washington DC, and even the city just down the road from me, Atlanta.

My vote is usually for new places, so I am no authority on my choices (they could suck): Lake Tahoe; the Badlands N.P. in S. Dakota; several places in Montana, and Toronto and Montreal. We were planning to go to Edinburgh, Scotland this past summer but didn't work out. Sigh...

I've read some interresting suggestions in this thread.

Plenty of bigger cities were mentioned, so I'm not going to recommand any major city.

Quebec City might be a good choice for you though, it's very walkable and it looks very European. Sure, it can be cold up there, but I'd say that feeling like you are in France compensates for that.

Based on the pictures I've seen on this forum, I would say that Savannah, GA is perfect for you if you like history, architecture and walkability. Not to mention it's mild climate.

This is from a promotional website of the city:

We're more friendly than formal here in Savannah.

Whoever you are, wherever you're from, we'll welcome you with true Southern hospitality, just as we've been welcoming guests since 1733. Hip and historic, robust and refined, Savannah is where you'll find amazing architecture, spooky cemeteries and rich history-along with global sophistication, funky nightlife and fabulous food. It's where history resonates into the present day, and where memories are still being made. Begin making yours by exploring this site, and please come see us soon

Based on the pictures I've seen on this forum, I would say that Savannah, GA is perfect for you if you like history, architecture and walkability. Not to mention it's mild climate.

This is from a promotional website of the city:

I lived in Savannah for two years while I was getting my master's degree. I miss that beautiful town every day. It is well worth a trip there to see just how cool it really is. If you do go stay in a bed and breakfast in the historic district.

San Diego, Miami, or Chicago.

EDIT: just realized I'm supposed to elaborate!

San Diego: The beaches and California culture. I've never been even in the 20 years I lived in CA, but have heard that's the place to go in CA. CA is a melting pot of folks from all over the US and the world, which is what makes it so exciting, and the mild weather just doesn't get any better anywhere else in the world, IMHO. A great vacay spot, but pricey as hell.

Miami: Another exotic melting pot of cultures, with great beaches and from what I've gathered a neat culture all its own, accented by interesting architecture and a lot of fun. I never understood Miami until we moved (somewhat) closer to it, I can see the appeal of it now to east coast vacationers.

Chicago: A tough, gritty city that rose on the backs of industry and transportation. It's pretty diametrically opposed to SD and MIA, but it's that proud blue-collar attitude that attracts me, along with the white-collar hustle and bustle that goes on there. It's also pretty diverse, which makes any vacation interesting, and there's plenty to do, as well. Also a pretty expensive vacay, though.

MIA or ATL, wow that's a hard one for me. But Miami has my vote.

OK. I am planning a vacation. And it has got me thinking.

If someone asked you where would be the best place to go on vacation, where would that be? Let's narrow it down a bit - has to be the US. Say they are looking for something along the lines of a european city - someplace fun to walk around and explore, don't need a car, good for a single traveler, and maybe needs to be at least tolerable at all times of the year.

Outside of the big cities like New York and Chicago, it seems most of our vacation destinations are not urban places.

So where would you recommend, and why? Is night-life important or not? Does your choosen city only attract a certain kind of person, for instance an outdoor lover or people watcher? I did not make this a poll because I am really trying to get at how cities either do or do not take advantage of tourist traffic, and how tourism helps or hurst a city.