The PGA Wyndham Championship

cityboi

The Chrysler Classic of Greensboro will be called the Wyndham Championship when the event moves to summer next year. Do any of you think this change will help secure the viabilty of the tourney in the up coming years. I know the Wachovia Championship is Charlotte is doing well and has even attracted Tiger Woods. Tiger has yet to come to play in Greensboro. Maybe the move to summer will help bring in more big players. Greensboro is one of the oldest PGA cities in the tournament dating back to the 1930s when the event was called The Greater Greensboro Open. The name eventually chaneged to the Kmart Greater Greensboro Open, then The Greater Greensboro Chrysler Classic and The Chrysler Classic of Greensboro.

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...EC0101/60929001

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It appears that the reason Tiger Woods has never played in Greensboro is because Tiger has had a contractual relationship with Buick and of course he couldnt play at an event that has the name Chrysler on it. According to the News & Record, Wyndham hotels is not a competing corporation of any of Tiger's corporate contracts so that means its a good chance Tiger will play in Greensboro. Another reason why Tiger hasnt come to Greensboro is because he doesnt really play in the fall but moving the tourney to the summer will change that. Also the summer date coincides with the new point system {FedEx Cup) similar to NASCAR and the big names will want to rack up points then.

whats the deal with this tourney? i read an article about them considering a move to K-ville?

not sure about that. It could be that one day they are considering making it more of a Triad tourney instead of just Greensboro but I dont think there are any definate plans of doing that yet. at least I havnt heard.

I remember last year during this championship ppl were upset of the eyesore of Forest Oaks Shopping Center's vacant Winn Dixie... and now it's becoming a Food Lion i think... and i think HT is still one of the leading sponsers of the tournament. ironic

Wyndham sounds good still, and it'll be cool to see tiger in gso

I remember last year during this championship ppl were upset of the eyesore of Forest Oaks Shopping Center's vacant Winn Dixie... and now it's becoming a Food Lion i think... and i think HT is still one of the leading sponsers of the tournament. ironic

Wyndham sounds good still, and it'll be cool to see tiger in gso

wonder why the event isnt held at Grandover? Is Grandover's course up to PGA standards?

They don't know what to do with this tournament. From spring to fall to summer-whats next? The Jaycees have complete control over this tourney-thats the reason its been at Forest Oaks forever although it probably should have been moved to Grandover years ago.

I don't know how many years this thing has left.

They don't know what to do with this tournament. From spring to fall to summer-whats next? The Jaycees have complete control over this tourney-thats the reason its been at Forest Oaks forever although it probably should have been moved to Grandover years ago.

I don't know how many years this thing has left.

Grandover is a more prestigous location for a PGA event. So its a puzzle to me why Grandover is not the site. Its very easy to get to right on I-85. There is an onsite resort hotel where spectators from out of town can stay. It also seems like to me it The PGA tournaey would put Grandover on the national map. Thats great advertisemnet.

I just read in todays paper that They are indeed considering changing courses for the tourney and Grandover has become the course people are looking at. The paper said the course would need upgrading but it was said that grandover is the best location out of all the other courses which are more remote away from the city. The only catch is will Wynham, will a hotel chain want to host an event on the resort grounds of another hotel name?

• 3 months later...

wyndhamchamp300.jpgfedexcuppga200.jpg

According to the News & Record, the Triad's only major league sport, now known as the Wyndham Championship could moved from Forest Oaks Country Club to the Sedgefield Country Club in Greensboro. Forest Oaks was like 4 or 5 miles south of Greensboro city limits so the move will bring the tourney within Greensboro and closer to High Point and Winston-Salem. Sedgefield Country Club was the origional course of the tournament back in 1938 when it was known as the Greater Greensboro Open. the tournament in Greensboro is one of the oldest in the PGA and the move to Sedgefiend will bring back the prestige of the tourney with the old tudor style club house serving as the back drop. (almost Augusta like prestige) The club house at Forest Oaks badly needs remodeling. thats why you never see a shot of the club house on tv during the tournament. The Sedegefield course will attract more top golf players becasue many thought the course at Forest Oaks was gimmicky. In addition the name change and the new date will likely attract Tiger Woods. Tiger has never played in Greensboro for two reasons. The former dates were bad timimg for him and becasue he had a contract with Buick, some say he didnt want to play at a tournament with the name Chrysler in it. but that has changed now. whats so good about the new date is that its the last tour date for the new FedEx point system, similar to NASCAR. many of the top players around the country will want to play in Greensboro to rack up those last points. many thought that Charlotte landing a PGA event (Wachovia Championship) had alot to do with the lack of support for the Chrysler Classic of Greensboro. The changes for Greensboro's PGA tournament will once again make Greensboro the premier PGA event in NC and will be considered one of the premier events among the likes of Augusta.

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...EC0101/70131037

http://www.sedgefieldcc.org/

http://www.wyndhamchampionship.com/

http://www.pgatour.com/story/9694271/

clubhouse at the Sedegefield Country Club serves as the backdrop at the 18th hole

wyndham.jpg

Clubhouse1.jpg

This hsould have happened 10 years ago although Grandover would have been a better selection. If it stays at Forest Oaks this tourney will cease to exist in the coming years.

agreed. the move is essential. Grandover would be a nice site but the problem is that Wyndham is a resort hotel chain and it wouldnt fair well for them to host an event at another resort hotel unless Wyndham bought Grandover from Koury Corp. Who knows...at some point that may happen. That rumor has been going around. But for now Sedgefield Country Club is the course that everyone is looking at. I love the Tudor Style Clubhouse. It give the course a prestigous look and thats the kind of image Greensboro's event needs. It goes back to the roots of the tournament. I personally thought Greensboro was going to lose its PGA event a few years back after the gaining popularity of the Wachovia Championship in Charlotte. But now things are looking good for Greensboro's event and the last date on the FedEx Cup point system should make the Wyndham Championship a more popular event than the Wachovia Championship. In any event, expect to see Tiger Woods come to Greensboro for the first time and he will definately bring the crowds. The sponsor change is the greatest thing that could have happened to Greensboro.

Interesting history, the club house at Sedgefield Country Club was built in 1925 and was the Sedgefield Inn. Its also the birthplace of the ACC (Atlantic Coast Conference)

A while back the GSO CC had the opportunity to take the tournament back but refused out of concerns from Irving Park residents. In its early years the GGO was held at Starmount CC as well so this tourney has made its way around. Sedgefield would definitely be a step up and I'm glad the Jaycees are finally ready to make a move.

A while back the GSO CC had the opportunity to take the tournament back but refused out of concerns from Irving Park residents. In its early years the GGO was held at Starmount CC as well so this tourney has made its way around. Sedgefield would definitely be a step up and I'm glad the Jaycees are finally ready to make a move.
They are specualting that a move could happen as soon as next year. It would have been great if it had happened this year to coincide wit the new name and date.

They left Sedgefield because the club members and residents got sick of all that came with the tourney i.e. restrictions on playing the course leading up to tourney time and then the issues with getting in and out of their homes during tourney week. I'm shocked Sedgefield is back in play to be honest. Grandover, i thought, was designed as a stadium course layout to support tournaments. Plus it's right on I85 so it's easy to get in and out of. Not sure why they don't put it there.

They left Sedgefield because the club members and residents got sick of all that came with the tourney i.e. restrictions on playing the course leading up to tourney time and then the issues with getting in and out of their homes during tourney week. I'm shocked Sedgefield is back in play to be honest. Grandover, i thought, was designed as a stadium course layout to support tournaments. Plus it's right on I85 so it's easy to get in and out of. Not sure why they don't put it there.

yup. Grandover was designed for PGA championship golf. Im sure the goal of Koury Corp was to attract the PGA tournament at somw point in the future. Grandover would be the best site logistically but Wyndham Hotels just isnt going to sponsor an event held at another name brand hotel resort. If the Grandover Resort changed to the Wyndham Resort, that would be a different story.

• 5 months later...

like when the Women's NCAA games were in Greensboro. The Wyndham Championship will hold a block party in downtown Greensboro. I think this is a great step for the tourney and Greensboro. All eyes will be on Greensboro since its tourney will be the last stop on the FedEx Cup season.

http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/stories/2...tml?jst=b_ln_hl

Archived