The PGA Wyndham Championship

cityboi

I won't say I told you so :) As I eluded to before, golfers don't really value the playoffs the same way other sports do. First and foremost they are focused on winning majors (Masters, US Open, British Open and PGA Championship) and a few other tournaments in between. So it's no surprise that Tiger won't play at Greensboro for a spot in the FedEx playoffs. Though it would've been a nice boon for the Wyndham tournament. Love him or hate him Tiger still out draws any golfer on tour right now, even if he hasn't won in almost two years. After watching him over the weekend, he has plenty of work to do.

well there is enough incentive to play the playoffs and there are $10 million reasons. Thats what the winner gets. I could understand if Tiger had no interest in playing the play offs this year but at the press conference he expressed great interest and referred to himself being in the playoffs. The problem is that he has to get there first and skipping the Wyndham is the worst thing he could do with his game play being so poor. He needs the points to advanced to the 125th spot. If he does poorly at the PGA Championship this week and just falls short, he may be kicking himself for not playing in Greensboro.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^I'm pretty sure he'd love the $10 million (wouldn't we all?). But he's not worried about money. He has more than 99.9% of people will ever see in their lifetime. The playoffs aren't where his focus is at right now, unless he somehow pulls off a win at the PGA Championship this week. If he were to get in to the FedEx, great. But I don't think he's going to pull out all the stops to try and make it. He'd come out and say it if that were the case. I know he plans to play over in Asia and probably Australia in the fall. Some of the tournaments there actually pay him a few million for just showing up at the tournament.

This year The Wyndham Championship has the strongest field in over a decade with a number of PGA's top golfers. Along with Vijay Singh and others, Jim Furyk, the 2010 FedExCup champion is committing to the Wyndham Championship. If Tiger changes his mind today and comes to Greensboro, it will be the strongest field Greensboro's PGA event has seen in a very long time. Every year the Wyndham is aired on national tv on CBS and the golf channel but if Tiger changes his mind and comes, Greensboro would be the focus of attention this year in the golf world because everyone would be watching to see if Tiger makes the cut for the FedEx playoffs. If Tiger doesn't change his mind about coming to Greensboro, his season will likely end today at the PGA Championship.

http://www.news-record.com/content/2011/08/12/article/defending_fedex_champ_furyk_commits_to_wyndham

• 3 years later...

Pretty cool. The Golf Channel has been airing its live broadcast of golf news from a two story studio at Sedgefield Country Club in Greensboro this week. Pretty good exposure for the Wyndham Championship and Greensboro.

http://www.news-record.com/sports/pro_sports/wyndham/wyndham-greensboro-tee-it-up-under-the-bright-lights/article_f4b94fb6-24c8-11e4-8a37-0017a43b2370.html

Archived