Furman Condo/Hotel Tower

atlrvr

Bidding on the land becomes expensive when there are clauses that require them to lay down non-refundable cash, and completed the transaction in less than a 6 month period.....I have a feeling that they have something a bit more concrete in mind than they are letting on.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can someone post a pic showing where the sliver of land is?

You can get more details from the attachment on their agenda.

Council Agendas are found here:

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/City+C...cil+Agendas.htm

Tonight's agenda is here:

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/City+C...+Agenda+TOC.htm

The details of this parcel and the bids are in this attachment:

http://www.charmeck.org/NR/rdonlyres/e4vjj...EDP+Revised.ppt

As to sleightofhand, I wonder if the city knows how casual Blvd Centro is about this, as they are being selected, despite a 300k lower bid because of the experience and the higher likelihood of a successful project. The end result is much more important to the city than the sales price (once over their minimum expectation, as both bids are).

With such a small parcel of land and it still having a parking deck, I wouldn't be surprised if this building is cylindrical, much like the Marina City towers in Chicago. While these buildings are much larger, the concept is still the same. Here is a picture:

Marina City

On a side note, I am still in Chicago visiting family, and the Trump Tower is coming along nicely as well as many other projects.

With such a small parcel of land and it still having a parking deck, I wouldn't be surprised if this building is cylindrical, much like the Marina City towers in Chicago. While these buildings are much larger, the concept is still the same. Here is a picture:

Marina City

On a side note, I am still in Chicago visiting family, and the Trump Tower is coming along nicely as well as many other projects.

I remember as a kid in the 70's those Marina Towers were on some record label... Remember records? Anybody recall the label that used their image in the center of the vinyl?

I remember as a kid in the 70's those Marina Towers were on some record label... Remember records? Anybody recall the label that used their image in the center of the vinyl?

This is more recent than you're talking about, but they were on the cover of Wilco's "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot."

are you sure your not talking about capital records... they used to put their LA HQ on records and it looks alot like one of the marina towers. thats the only thing i can think of...

• 2 months later...

This is a very interesting project to me, as most parcels that get developed, especially into high rises, are significantly larger than this land. It almost makes me wish that the city would force smaller lot sizes downtown.

I think this is a great point, something that would really help create greater texture downtown. And even with the current generation of "superblock" projects, we are seeing some of this. The Berkman building would variegate that block, just like the Avenue on its block.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

^ gosh, what a tease. from that it appears as if it will be pretty sweet, but if you compare the little people on the balcony with what you see of the building... well, it just looks like it would command a bigger foot print than the pencil tower site could hold. can't wait to see the full rendering.

Archived