Furman Condo/Hotel Tower

atlrvr

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll say it again... I do not consider a building that could have 15,000 square foot floorplates to be anything even remotely like a pencil tower. 150 x 100 feet is the approximate size of this lot here folks! Perhaps this is a bit smaller than what Charlotte is used to, but the lot really isn't that small! It just looks small next to the monolithic arena.

For example. The actual dimension of the floorplates of the tower for Wachovia Capital Center in Raleigh is 150x150 feet (200x200 base). And as far as I know, nobody is saying that one is "nearly a pencil tower." It looks very wide, like anything but a pencil! And, according to some quick measurements on Google Earth, the "main tower" portion of Courtside is 100x120. Is courtside a pencil tower? No. Shorter than this project, yes, but tack 11 stories on and it still certainly isn't a pencil by any stretch.

Now, if the floorplates of Furman's tower take up less than 1/3 of the actual area of the lot, then, maybe we can start talking pencil tower.

I'll say it again... I do not consider a building that could have 15,000 square foot floorplates to be anything even remotely like a pencil tower. 150 x 100 feet is the approximate size of this lot here folks! Perhaps this is a bit smaller than what Charlotte is used to, but the lot really isn't that small! It just looks small next to the monolithic arena.

For example. The actual dimension of the floorplates of the tower for Wachovia Capital Center in Raleigh is 150x150 feet (200x200 base). And as far as I know, nobody is saying that one is "nearly a pencil tower." It looks very wide, like anything but a pencil! And, according to some quick measurements on Google Earth, the "main tower" portion of Courtside is 100x120. Is courtside a pencil tower? No. Shorter than this project, yes, but tack 11 stories on and it still certainly isn't a pencil by any stretch.

Now, if the floorplates of Furman's tower take up less than 1/3 of the actual area of the lot, then, maybe we can start talking pencil tower.

I've always liked the notion of Charlotte having two main streets in its downtown. Trade is as important as Tryon, in my view. It is slowly starting to get key developments, with Gateway Station, the main LRT station, the arena, in addition to the government district and the gateway district that have been there for a little while.

Having residential tower development, with Trademark, 210, Trinity/Polk, and now Concourse is really starting to build Trade up very nicely with height and human activity hotspots.

Furman is requesting Council to lower the purchase price of the land by $400K...from $2.5M to $2.1M...in exchange he will be building larger therefore more property taxes will be collected in the long run to make up for the purchase price difference. Will be interesting to see council's reaction to this proposal.

The green glass shown in the color rendering of the top will blend excellently with the arena. The glass part of the arena has a similar green color.

I must say, this rendering does not disappoint me. It definitely uses nice parts of Courtside and Trademark, but is also unique.

I like how it looks almost like it faces both Caldwell and Trade streets, as both are shaping up to be very important streets for the city. I'm also sure that the north facing side also looks pretty good. I think Furman is really working hard now to avoid a 'back' after the Courtside debaucle.

It is interesting how the glass portion like the bottom of Trademark is shifted up the tower.

I wonder what the parking ratios are for this project.

Archived