Furman Condo/Hotel Tower

atlrvr

So we could see a possible three luxury hotels coming to uptown Charlotte, Ritz, Twelve, and this hotel which I hope is either Intercontinental or W. Plus the aloft brand expanding into this market. Charlotte is not only a hot condo market, but a pretty rapid-growing hotel market as well.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt it'll be a W or I-C simply because they said extended stay. Those hotels typically have kitchenettes, etc. and the aforementioned hotels usually offer just luxury rooms. The only extended stay chains I can thnk of off the top of my head are Residence Inn, Hawthorn Suites (well, any kind of all-suite type properties -- AmeriSuites, etc), Extended Stay Americas. I can't think of any "luxury" chain that melds the two concepts.

Well the Lodge Works brand has does primarly Hawthorn Suites and Sierra Suites.

They have something in the works in Savannah that looks nicer than their normal product.

http://www.newsplacesavannah.com/hotel.htm

I'm not sure if this place has extended stay suites, but it at least shows that they are capable of producing a nice urban product.

If this site is 1/3 acre in size, then it is 14,374 sq ft. Now if you assume that 60% of this will be available for the actual room space (subtracting out hallways, elevator shafts, set backs, etc) then you have 8624 sq/ft floor for room space. Now the article mentions this will be a 150 room hotel on just 8 floors (no floor 13) so there are going to have to be 19 hotel rooms on each floor. This means each hotel room is around 453 sq ft. This is a pretty good sized room for a hotel. Of course there will probably be more than one class of room so these sizes may vary a bit.

Likewise for the condo portion if they have 8624 sq ft. to work with, then there is space for 60, 1200 sq ft condos.

This is going to be fun to watch when they finally start construction. It will be one hell of an engineering feat. That tiny parcel looks so small. I would think it would be small for NYC standards even. None the less I welcome it and pray they are able to pull it off.

A2

It's not that much of an engineering feat :). They'll probably just shut down a lane on Trade and Caldwell while they build it.

Yes, but that is one tight squeeze for a tower crane :D . I am all for it though. I think a thin tower will do wonders to diversify our building stock in Uptown.

Speaking of which, when I went by to check out the parcel today I noticed that the Park was doing more work on the Parking deck. Any hopes that this thing might have legs? Sorry to veer off topic.

Yes, but that is one tight squeeze for a tower crane :D . I am all for it though. I think a thin tower will do wonders to diversify our building stock in Uptown.

Maybe they'll rent out space across Caldwell in that parking lot for the crane's base. That would give them more room to work. This should prove to be very unique at first. But, if it is successful, perhaps it will become a trend on that side of town. Despite its thinness, I think it will do wonders for pulling more development away from Tryon.

Are you implying that that's a good thing? I would think so, since it's pretty ugly from that view IMO.

I just can't figure out how they are going to manage the drop-off/check-in situation for the hotel. I assume they can configure something off of Caldwell, at least I hope so, because Trade doesn't need any more curb cuts.

This is going to be fun to watch when they finally start construction. It will be one hell of an engineering feat. That tiny parcel looks so small. I would think it would be small for NYC standards even. None the less I welcome it and pray they are able to pull it off.

There is a tower like this in NYC that is twice as tall. Because the wind would cause a normal tower like this to sway enough to make the residents in the upper floors seasick, they had to incorporate a special damping system consisting of large tanks of water and baffles.

There is a tower like this in NYC that is twice as tall. Because the wind would cause a normal tower like this to sway enough to make the residents in the upper floors seasick, they had to incorporate a special damping system consisting of large tanks of water and baffles.

is it located on the roof - similar to the Citicorp building?

Id love to see a mock up of this building, cause its just crazy to think what this might look like on that size lot and that close to the arena.

Remember it is not necessarily the size that matters :P OK now I know that was uncalled for, but hell Charlotte is growing and I want to put a smile on my face again.

In all seriousness it will look much different, but that is exactly what we need. Something different. We have a Pepto Bismol Bldg, why not have a Pencil bldg.? :)

A2

City council is voting tonight on this. You can get more details from the attachment on their agenda. I'm so excited that this is another Furman tower as I had wondered he he had switched back to midrise projects. I just hope this one doesn't have as ugly i back in the design.

City council is voting tonight on this. You can get more details from the attachment on their agenda. I'm so excited that this is another Furman tower as I had wondered he he had switched back to midrise projects. I just hope this one doesn't have as ugly i back in the design.

yeah, this should be an interesting project for furman. working with that parcel in that location and the fact that it will incorporate a hotel... should pose some unique challenges for him. i bet the architect in him is going to love this one. after seeing the way the front of trademark is shaping up... i hope he utilizes alot of glass. also, you gotta think this thing will probably fill up with some b-ballers... talk about rolling out of bed to work.

I spoke to my friend at Blvd Centro and she said that the CBJ had jumped the gun a little. She said nothing was official and they are just bidding on the land. So I joking with her I asked if I could see the rendering of the building and she replied that one doesn't exist.

Take it for what it's worth.

Archived