New BofA Tower

atlrvr

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally don't see BofA pulling their corporate headquarters out of Charlotte anytime in the foreseable future. Like many people have already said, they've invested quite a lot in to Charlotte economically. Just because they are building new towers elsewhere or adding jobs elsewhere, does not mean that they are moving their headquarters, it simply means they are trying to expand nationally and globally. This is the Bank of America, not the Bank of Charlotte, where everything must be. Although it would be nice.

• 8 months later...

I don't know if we ever really found out what happened to the proposal but it is dead. I kind of think that since BofA doesn't own The Plaza building anymore they may have been playing with the idea of building a new 40 floor tower to replace it. It would have continued BofA's N. Tryon dominance and would have been a wonderful civic gesture in the form of including The Betcler in the base. I think BofA decided not to spend the money and renew thier lease for ten years at BofA Plaza and they will probably end up doing something more elaborate in several years. Just a hunch, I could VERY well be wrong, TurboCraig could be right, maybe they didn't get an anchor that they thought would be coming. There are so many things that could have factor into BofA's choice not to go forward with the building.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Originally this was to be a 40 story BofA tower PLUS Hall House next door. They did that when they built the IJL building, saving the Dunhill Hotel.

I guess this is just what we miss when we lose Mr. McColl for a Ken. We get a 40 something story tower rather than a 60 something story tower, and we lose the old building.

Not that Hugh was perfect (the old Belk being torn down for the ugly Founder's Hall. )

This just sounds like a rehash of a stale proposal....it was considered when BofA was think of taking new space as opposed to renewing at BofA Plaza.....I believe this has been shelved for a while. Is this from a new source?

As far as the Hall house, CHA will be putting it up for sale, probably within the next year. Last I heard, that were marketing it at a minimum bid equivalent to land value, so I'm not counting on it being saved.

Archived