FOX in "Carolina"

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the end of this month Charlotte will get more national exposure as the Carolina va Dallas game is broadcast nationwide on NBC. Hopefully they will get some good nighttime shots of the city and skyline. I know when ABC/Monday Night Football has come to town in the past they have done some really impressive shots.

I was watching this game on a friend's NFL Sunday Ticket, since the local affiliate was showing Dallas vs. Tennessee (bizarre choice), and they showed some pre-recorded clips from the pre-game show through the day, and I only heard Charlotte mentioned.

One thing I've never realized, is that the staging on the pre-game broadcast area, make it looks like our stadium is in the middle of the woods somewhere.

I've noticed the "in Carolina" phrase a lot, too, by announcers. I think it may be because they aren't sure which Carlina they are in, North or South, or which one Charlotte is in. I think most people now-a-days do know the difference between the states, and which one Charlotte is in, but perhaps those who have sports backgrounds, or RTF/public communications backgrounds, aren't so aware of their geography as it isn't important to their 'field'. Anyway, seems a likely possibility. Otherwise, we would just say the announcers are idiots, but they can't all be.

It was ridiculous how often they said they were in carolina. But they also said Charlotte a lot too.

I agree, but I did pick up a lot more on Charlotte, especially during the game. I was just glad they never said the "Carolina Skyline." I also noticed that during the Tennessee game, TN was said a lot more when referring to the location than I would have expected it to be. Maybe you're right nowensone, it's not their 'field' so why should they be experts on it. It's kinda like concerts where musicians sometimes get the wrong names of where they're at too.

I agree, but I did pick up a lot more on Charlotte, especially during the game. I was just glad they never said the "Carolina Skyline." I also noticed that during the Tennessee game, TN was said a lot more when referring to the location than I would have expected it to be. Maybe you're right nowensone, it's not their 'field' so why should they be experts on it. It's kinda like concerts where musicians sometimes get the wrong names of where they're at too.

Could be because we are known as the "Carolina Panthers" and they are known as the "Tennessee Titans". Trying to keep their refererence in perspective possibly.

I rode by the stadium on the way back from Charlotte Shout Saturday and the stage was set up and the crew was rehearsing. We stopped and got out. Terry Bradshaw was mingling with the 20 or so people standing around. That guy is huge! They don't look that big on TV. :P

You should see Shaq in person, he almost looks like he's of another species. 50 years ago he'd be in a carne show as a "giant", barring a basketball career then too. As to keeping in reference between the Tennessee Titans and the Carolina Panthers, that is fine when referring to the teams, but they use Carolina in the context of place, as in "We're down here in Carolina at Ericsson stadium..". Bizarre sounding after about the 5th time you hear that.

I was watching this game on a friend's NFL Sunday Ticket, since the local affiliate was showing Dallas vs. Tennessee (bizarre choice), and they showed some pre-recorded clips from the pre-game show through the day, and I only heard Charlotte mentioned.

One thing I've never realized, is that the staging on the pre-game broadcast area, make it looks like our stadium is in the middle of the woods somewhere.

I guess you could technically consider the stage in the middle of the "woods".

oct1_08.jpg

I thought their location in Seattle was alot more successful as it looked much more urban and reflected the actual location better.

It was nice to see that fans came out to support the team for the national audience. Before the game the area was packed with people trying to get a few seconds on tv.

• 1 month later...

A little off topic, but over 17M people watched the Carolina/Dallas game on NBC a few weeks ago. That was the game that prominently showed off the Charlotte skyline and mentioned Charlotte many times during the game.

To put that 17M in persepctive that is more people than watched the 2006 Baseball World Series and more than 5 times the amount of people that watched the Carolina Hurricanes Stanley Cup.

That is the advertising power of pro sports to get your city's name out there and make a positive impression.

Yeah I think they did a nice job of balancing the the three. Carolina, Charlotte and Charlotte NC. I'm not to caught up in the NC attachment thing or the Carolina thing. If someone really wants to know just look it up so next time they can educate someone on where it is. It is only a matter of time before the nation will be able to see the name Charlotte and know where it is. Besides the franchise does represent a region so let them call it Carolina. By the way they did in fact show the gold mines and elude to the other kind of gold Charlotte has...banking. They did mention the city by itself when saying it is the second largest banking center in the nation. Also that 90 percent of the NASCAR teams reside there and a mention of the HOF. So all in all it was a good night for me. I got to see some great night skyline shots. They did show the fountains and statues uptown and what really liked was the street scenes that made me wonder if that was really in NC. Plus the Panthers won so all in all I slept good last night. I try to compare skylines on MNF and I can say Charlotte shows off well. It just needs the Epicenter, the VUE, Wachovia and Citadin to come through and then the skyline can fill the screen without panning from side to side. On last observation BOA tower is a work of beauty at night isn't she...

I just think that "Carolina" by itself is a beautiful word. It's kind of hard not to say. I think the term "Carolina" has been used a lot over history to describe either North or South Carolina. In a way Charlotte is simply "Carolina" by, in its own way, being a part of both states. As long as they do both by referring to us as Carolina and referring to us as Charlotte I'm happy.

I try to compare skylines on MNF and I can say Charlotte shows off well. It just needs the Epicenter, the VUE, Wachovia and Citadin to come through and then the skyline can fill the screen without panning from side to side. On last observation BOA tower is a work of beauty at night isn't she...

It may have just been the tv I was watching the game on but I really thought downtown/uptown/downtown/uptown was rather dark from most of the blimp shots. Outside of the legacy Wachovia tower, everything else seemed black. Charlotte's towers don't seem to be as architecturally well lit as most other major metros. Don't get me wrong, I love our skyline, I was just a little let down by those blimp shots.

I just think that "Carolina" by itself is a beautiful word. It's kind of hard not to say. I think the term "Carolina" has been used a lot over history to describe either North or South Carolina. In a way Charlotte is simply "Carolina" by, in its own way, being a part of both states. As long as they do both by referring to us as Carolina and referring to us as Charlotte I'm happy.

Archived