Where did you have your wedding reception?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok... we are down to 225ish... I figure 190 - 200 people might show. Any Hotels have ballrooms for less than the price of a new BMW?

As a worst case senario, I am sure that GRDad will open up his back yard to 200 strangers... and their pets.

Ok... we are down to 225ish... I figure 190 - 200 people might show. Any Hotels have ballrooms for less than the price of a new BMW?

As a worst case senario, I am sure that GRDad will open up his back yard to 200 strangers... and their pets.

When the insurance convention was in GR a few years ago the big companies all had hospitality suites in the ball rooms of the Amway. Some of them are pretty amazing, but their banquet menu looks pretty pricey...

pantlind_03.jpg

Also, we invited 350 and 230 RSVP'd to come, so take some of that into account.

HAHA. My house doesn't even come close to making it in this thread.

300 is w-a-a-y too many people; you would need a place the size of a basketball court. Sounds like anyone you're each related to, everyone you remember from school, and all the family from babies up to grannies. It's doubtful that the huge cash outlay required to feed/entertain this size of a crowd would "pay off" in terms of keeping them all happy. (The toddlers will run around the room and scream. The teens will sulk. The seniors will go home early. The college-agers will drink you dry. And so on.)

Nice church halls (no cinderblocks) are Fountain Street (rents for $300) and Park Church (really pretty, rents for $50 but you almost have to know someone). Neither place is large enough for 300 people. Meijer Garden's big room might hold 300. Might. Keep in mind that large indoor venues with liqour licenses have steep liability costs, and you're also paying for that.

The nicest place I know of to have a reception is at Greenfield Village. Google up "Lovett Hall" to see the museum's catering shots. Add "dance" to that to see what it looked like with more than 500 people (no tables, no place settings).

If I was throwing a gig for anything more than 150 and it was in September, I would rent a shelter at Millennium or Johnson park, and put up a large tent (with sides) next to it. Get a low-key caterer to do major hors d'oeuvres and reception trays. ($25 at Meijer deli. Buy the stuff and prepare it, twice as much food.) This assumes no open bar. (I doubt it's possible to have alcohol at any park.) A sided tent can get really warm, even during the cold snap we had early this September. There are plenty of smaller caterers floating around, and they can hire a staff of college kids who won't put you in the poorhouse. (Blanford Nature Center might be another option.)

Best wedding gig I ever did was in a metropark near Ann Arbor. (We used a car battery and power inverter to run my PA.) The groom planned everything on about three week's notice (mail-order bride from Russia and they didn't want to just live together). He had an Olive Express-type menu (which doesn't need coddling to stay edible) and a contra dance. Probably cost him $3000. About 75 guests.

One of the prettiest events I was ever a guest at was held at the Columbus rose garden. Outdoor wedding in a huge display of flowers. Indoor picnic shelter-type meal. Keep in mind that you're inviting people you love who love you back, not lining up likely prospects who can "cover their plate" with registry gifts.

The pending rooftop deck at Hillmount might hold 75 people, depending on the final layout.

For more fun, check out the stories on etiquettehell.com. (Ones in the "Vendors" section might seem familiar in their writing style!) I suggest hitting a fabric store's bulletin board for The Dress (find a local seamstress).

[have participated in dozens of weddings; routinely giving excellent advice to my clients]

My wife and I eloped (highly recommended BTW) so our reception was a couple months after the actual wedding. We wound up hosting 2 receptions: one for immediate family, and another the following evening for friends. The family night was a classy event hosted at the Photography Room with catering from Bar Divani. If you have a small crowd, the Photography Room is a really great space - well decorated, located on Ionia in the middle of downtown, and great art on the walls.

The friends reception was a kegger at our house :alc: Our only requirement of attendance was that nobody bring any presents that weren't intoxicating.

I had way more fun at the second reception needless to say.

My wife and I eloped (highly recommended BTW) so our reception was a couple months after the actual wedding. We wound up hosting 2 receptions: one for immediate family, and another the following evening for friends. The family night was a classy event hosted at the Photography Room with catering from Bar Divani. If you have a small crowd, the Photography Room is a really great space - well decorated, located on Ionia in the middle of downtown, and great art on the walls.

The friends reception was a kegger at our house :alc: Our only requirement of attendance was that nobody bring any presents that weren't intoxicating.

I had way more fun at the second reception needless to say.

I hadn't seen that drinking smilie until now - that is funny!

300 is w-a-a-y too many people

Perhaps in your opinion it is too many people. I think we did an excellent job of keeping people happy at our wedding and would have been just as successful if the full 350 had showed. The ballroom we rented had a liquor license and it was only a $500 room rental. It was not around here, but I just wanted to say that it is possible. Picture:

Image3.JPG

Sorry.. i just get irritated when people say "XXX is way too many people for a wedding." Get over it.

We had ours at Egypt Valley Country Club - June/06, it was fantastic, wedding was at The Bascilica, so the drive wasn't too bad.

We went to a reception at the HBA building on the East Beltline, I wouldn't reccomend it. Very small, had to be catered, just not a nice spot for a wedding reception.

Perhaps in your opinion it is too many people. I think we did an excellent job of keeping people happy at our wedding and would have been just as successful if the full 350 had showed. The ballroom we rented had a liquor license and it was only a $500 room rental. It was not around here, but I just wanted to say that it is possible. Picture:

Image3.JPG

Sorry.. i just get irritated when people say "XXX is way too many people for a wedding." Get over it.

Michael has mentioned the British Isles honeymoon trip and the desire to keep costs manageable. Wining, dining, entertaining, and renting space for 300 seems to be incompatible with those stated goals.

(Besides the county parks, I'd make it a 2 pm ceremony so no one expects a full-course plated dinner. )

CONGRATS!!!

This is a great thread... because I posted the same thing a month ago, but it got erraced and kept getting erraced. So, I'm glad to see these things posted :)

My fiance and I were considering the Meijer Gardens, but now decided that we want to have our wedding on the shores of Lake MI at sunset... followed by a reception at some B&B or hotel on the beach. So far, I've really had no luck finding anything (at least on the internet).

It's really hard being in japan looking for these things.

If I were to get married in town, I'd probably have the reception either at the Meijer Gardens or the Art Museum.

Does anyone know anywhere good on the lakeshore?

This is a great thread... because I posted the same thing a month ago, but it got erraced and kept getting erraced. So, I'm glad to see these things posted :)

I love it when people complain about the staff here at UP, but somehow forget why we had to take action. You posted, twice in the main Michigan forum. You were informed more than once that it was inappropriate there as we are UrbanPlanet, not UrbanWeddingPlanner. This is why we have coffeehouses on this site. For someone who doesn't post here much, you have caused more than your share of headaches. :rolleyes:

CONGRATS!!!

My fiance and I were considering the Meijer Gardens, but now decided that we want to have our wedding on the shores of Lake MI at sunset... followed by a reception at some B&B or hotel on the beach. So far, I've really had no luck finding anything (at least on the internet).

It's really hard being in japan looking for these things.

If I were to get married in town, I'd probably have the reception either at the Meijer Gardens or the Art Museum.

Does anyone know anywhere good on the lakeshore?

I'm remembering a mention in the Hunt's Guidebook about a small county park that's much less traveled than the state park immediately adjacent. Near Douglas. Will look it up when I get home and find the book.

And the Felt Mansion. I keep seeing it listed in the Press events section; they keep having open houses.

HTH

• 1 month later...
Michaelski's -

I went to a reception at Applause banquet center (Just west of Breton on 28th St, behind Pietros) a couple of weeks ago. The space was really really nice and the food was excellent. I think it was relatively inexpensive. I would recommend it.

http://www.rcfc.com/applause/intro.asp

We are having the wedding at St. Andrews. Unfortunately we would not afford any of the places downtown for a full reception. (I could not believe what they wanted for the minimums at the BOB and Amway.... until I saw the per plate price)

However we have yet to finalize plans for the rehearsal dinner. :blush:

We are going to use public transportation for the wedding party!

*now will you vote for me? :cry:

Just on a whim, has anyone had their wedding at Ah Nab Awen Park? This summer we were pondering the thought after we saw a couple had their reception there. We're planning for our wedding there if the city gives its graces. I'm not sure of the guidelines for uses at a public park will give way to this type of thing.

Archived