America's Favorite Cities 2004

urbanguy

header_afc.gif

map_afc.gif

Which Cities do Americans like to visit the Most?

Travel + Leisure Magazine / AOL Travel "America's Favorite Cities" Poll 2004 Reveals Which Cities Americans Think Are Best for: Honeymoons, Dining Out, Shopping, People-Watching, and More

New York, NY (March 22, 2004) - Travel + Leisure Magazine and America Online today announced the results of the third annual "America's Favorite Cities" Survey. Travel + Leisure magazine and AOL's Travel Channel conducted an online survey of nearly half a million AOL members to find out what travelers think about twenty-five American cities: Austin, Boston, Chicago, Denver, Honolulu, Houston, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Miami, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Nashville, New Orleans, New York, Orlando, Philadelphia, Phoenix/Scottsdale, Portland, San Antonio, San Diego, San Francisco, San Juan, Santa Fe, Seattle, Tampa/St. Petersburg, and Washington, DC. Participants voted on cities they lived in or had traveled to in a variety of categories. Results of the survey will be featured in Travel + Leisure magazine's April issue, online at travelandleisure.com/afc and at AOL Keyword: Travel Survey.

Methodology: Respondents rated the cities of their choice on specific characteristics using a scale of 1 to 5, and identified themselves as natives of or travelers to the city rated. Rankings are based on the average scores of results from travelers only. For full survey methodology, go to www.travelandleisure.com/afc.

Overall

ACTIVITIES (OVERALL)

1. New York

2. San Francisco

3. Chicago

4. Honolulu

5. Miami

GETTING AROUND (OVERALL)

1. Portland

2. Honolulu

3. San Francisco

4. Chicago

5. San Diego

HOLIDAYS & SEASONS (OVERALL)

1. San Diego

2. Honolulu

3. Portland

4. San Juan

5. San Francisco

PEOPLE (OVERALL)

1. Honolulu

2. Austin

3. Santa Fe

4. San Antonio

5. San Diego

ROMANCE (OVERALL)

1. Honolulu

2. San Juan

3. San Francisco

4. New Orleans

5. Miami

QUALITY OF LIFE (OVERALL)

1. Honolulu

2. San Diego

3. Santa Fe

4. Tampa/St. Petersburg

5. San Antonio

SIGHTSEEING (OVERALL)

1. Washington, D.C.

2. New York

3. Philadelphia

4. Boston

5. Chicago

If you'd like to see a full list of each category and their sub-categories click on the links below:

Holidays & Seasons

Sightseeing

Activities

People

Romance

Getting Around

Quality of Life

I didn't make the list obviously but the poll did leave out quite a few major cities, sowwy. :(

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is the connection between AOL and liking Nashville? :huh:

That's a good question. Although the same thing could be asked of why every major survey or study in the country hates Detroit...unless it is about a bad thing, such as the "most dangerous places" or the "top ten worst places to start a business".

:D They do look like monopoly pieces. Can't say that I agree with a list that puts Nashville on there and not one city in the Carolinas.

Why would this matter though?? For better or worse, Nashville is an entertainment capital. There are more clubs in downtown then most any city in the south except New Orleans. I bet there are more clubs in Nashville's downtown then even Atlanta; but of course Atlanta has legendary nightlife in midtown that kind of blows away Nashville.

There isn't quite as much of an entertainment district in Charlotte, but I wouldn't know about the other areas.

This is probably why Nashville ranked so high - these lists aren't based on skyscrapers and geeky statistics. LOL

Yeah, Detroit is still my favorite, even though it didn't end up on any of the lists. Chicago is a close second for me...if I wasn't biased towards Detroit, Chicago would edge Detroit down to #2 on my favorite cities list.

Chicago! It's definately Chicago for me. I plan on making a couple trips a year at least from this point forward. I used to have a wonderful job there but moved back because my ex wife didn't like the big city, now that we're divorced I'd move back in a heartbeat if offered a job again!

That list and that graphic makes sense to me. I noticed Dallas wasn't on the graphic (that must be humbling as that city usually likes to think of itself as better than Houston). It is nice to see Miami on the list.

Urbanguy -- My family just got back from Kauai and absolutely adored it. In fact, my mom and sister want to move there. I would follow in a heartbeat! I hope to live in Hawaii someday. You are so lucky!

• 2 weeks later...

THIS JUST IN THIS JUST IN . . .

Pittsburgh, Dallas, Detriot, Atlanta, St. Louis, Cincinnati, Charlotte, Salt Lake City, Kansas City, Milwaukee and Cleveland either have been annexed by Canada or AOL needs to GRADUATE FROM KINDERGARTEN???????? I saw this cow dung of a survey on CNBC, WTF WTF WTF!

aol-support.jpg

Hey all I'm gonna do a survey on guys that like football but if your a guy or you watch football I won't have time to survey you I am only surveying farm nants and water lillys. Ok. Then I can be on CNBC too!!! :blink::blink::blink:

AOL_stupidity_error.jpg

They can feed this survey TO THE DOGS!

aol.jpg

Guest donaltopablo

LOL! There were definitely some good cities left off of that list, no doubt about it.

Funny, AOL owns Turner, there down in Atlanta all of the time I'm sure....

You know the kicker in all this . . .

Nashville gets to say "WE ARE THE FRIENDLIEST CITY IN THE USA" When actually Pittsburgh, St. Louis etc. have been determined as "friendlier" !?!?!?!?!

Same goes for best clubs, Detroit if not #1 is definetly in the top 3 but then you have some po-dunk like San Antonio?!? (not nearly as large as Detroit) claiming a higher ranking because of MoTown's absence!

Archived