Why isn't Wal-Mart getting in on the real estate game?

edensfall

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i wonder how long itll be before we start competing with little rock's high rises, i have a feeling theres a 25-35 story building on the horizon in the next few years, maybe even a 40.

It's going to be hard to be honest. Little Rock has a nice skyline for a city it's sized. I've seen a number of other cities bigger than Little Rock and they didn't have a skyline as nice as Little Rock's. NWA will be seeing some taller buildings in the near future but I just don't see them being concentrated in one area. With the metro being split into many different cities and not having one main downtown isn't going to help.

Cool info. I wonder what those pots do?

I hear they house hidden tear gas canisters and high-powered machine gun turrents.

Plus, they look better than regular steel reinforced concrete barriers, which are common features for buildings that want to discourage people driving vehicles right up or throught their front doors.

EDIT: oh nevermind, KJW answered it^

His words: "Blast absorption" and "they make it harder for someone to drive through the front door".

I believe they actually function as decoration since the entire concrete building is surrounded by those planters and not just the front entrance. They could probably serve as "blast shields" but I doubt that's what they were built for.

i wonder how long itll be before we start competing with little rock's high rises, i have a feeling theres a 25-35 story building on the horizon in the next few years, maybe even a 40.

Little Rock's main high-rises came during the 80's when it experienced a boom. Most metro's during this time were building super tall high-rises and most weren't being filled. I wouldn't expect any supertalls for a while. Plus, NWA's office occupancy rate is realtively high. Mostly, NWA will get a few 25's within 10 years.

I hear they house hidden tear gas canisters and high-powered machine gun turrents.

Plus, they look better than regular steel reinforced concrete barriers, which are common features for buildings that want to discourage people driving vehicles right up or throught their front doors.

EDIT: oh nevermind, KJW answered it^

I'm not saying anything. :ph34r:

It's going to be hard to be honest. Little Rock has a nice skyline for a city it's sized. I've seen a number of other cities bigger than Little Rock and they didn't have a skyline as nice as Little Rock's. NWA will be seeing some taller buildings in the near future but I just don't see them being concentrated in one area. With the metro being split into many different cities and not having one main downtown isn't going to help.

I agree, Little Rock's skyline developed in a preexisting downtown at a time in the 1970s and 1980s when high rise downtown office towers were the rage.

Plus, dedicated office high rises are really a thing of the past. Unless they're a specific company you're nto seeing many very large high rises built only with office space anymore. Most are condos, hotels, or mixed use.

About the "flower pots", they are meant to prevent someone from driving a vehicle into the building. You'll find them at high rises and government installations around the country. Even in Little Rock a few buildings have them. You also find them on occasion at malls and big box stores - anywhere where there a lot of people that could be targeted.

I agree, Little Rock's skyline developed in a preexisting downtown at a time in the 1970s and 1980s when high rise downtown office towers were the rage.

Plus, dedicated office high rises are really a thing of the past. Unless they're a specific company you're nto seeing many very large high rises built only with office space anymore. Most are condos, hotels, or mixed use.

About the "flower pots", they are meant to prevent someone from driving a vehicle into the building. You'll find them at high rises and government installations around the country. Even in Little Rock a few buildings have them. You also find them on occasion at malls and big box stores - anywhere where there a lot of people that could be targeted.

The funny thing is if there are a lot of people in the Home Office the thousands of cars in the parking lot would be all the barrier that's needed. It would also have to be a tank since the ground floor of the home office is solid concrete with no windows. Was there a terrorist threat when the Home Office was built?

The funny thing is if there are a lot of people in the Home Office the thousands of cars in the parking lot would be all the barrier that's needed. It would also have to be a tank since the ground floor of the home office is solid concrete with no windows. Was there a terrorist threat when the Home Office was built?

There are a lot of Wal-Mart haters out there but I couldn't imagine anyone going that crazy on them.

There are a lot of Wal-Mart haters out there but I couldn't imagine anyone going that crazy on them.

I wonder if it would be that or say terrorists trying to 'make a statement' doing something against such a huge company like Wal-mart. The sad part even if terrorists did something like that many Americans probably wouldn't mind too much since it was Wal-mart. Then again maybe a little patriotism would finally kick in and no one would want to see even something like that happen to Wal-mart.

I wonder if it would be that or say terrorists trying to 'make a statement' doing something against such a huge company like Wal-mart. The sad part even if terrorists did something like that many Americans probably wouldn't mind too much since it was Wal-mart. Then again maybe a little patriotism would finally kick in and no one would want to see even something like that happen to Wal-mart.

But like I said was there even a terrorist threat back when the Home Office was built or were those "blast shield planters" added more recently?

Archived