The "L" Building

ChiefJoJo

The first concrete anchors have been poured close to where the old Wake County housing office was on McDowell. I think there is still some work to do down there, but it could start to go up somewhat quickily, a la the RBC/Edison deck on Wilmington.

• 3 months later...

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It appears that the image that I linked to in here back in December on the building's space availability has received an update. It looks they are pushing for a coffee shop or restaurant on the Davie side.

5mh99l.jpg

Uploaded the above to a different image host just in case they change it again, for reference.

• 7 months later...

I noticed the red "X" on the Davie entrance/exit was green the other night, but the L's deck is now officially open. The building surrounding it has yet to break ground, unfortunately.

The Wake County webpage about the deck doesn't say if it will be free after 9 pm when there is no attendant on duty.

The Garland Jones deck is now closed, to be demolished as part of the Justice Center project.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Finally something to actually report on a project, albeit not surprising....The developer is asking for an extension on starting construction until November of 2013. The developer, in the meantime, has put out the idea of covering the facade with banners of public art, which would be created by using a contest and the developer would chose the best designs and put them on the banners to cover the ugly facade for the time bein

http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/10/12/735552/developer-requests-delay-for-l.html

• 8 months later...

Why do I have the sinking feeling that 40 years from now, people walking around downtown will point and say, "What's up with that ugly parking deck that looks like another building was supposed to be built around it.", and no one will remember why other than the archivist of the city planning department...

• 1 year later...

The L building has gone residential.

100 units (85 1br, 15 2br). I don't really think anything facing Dawson or McDowell are the ideal a great spot for a residential midrise, especially across the street from the county building with its EMS dispatch center. But this is a short walk to the Warehouse District and Fayetteville Street which is a definite plus. Has lots of retail spaces which is nice. It looks like 5 stories of apartments on top of 1 story of retail. If the 5 stories of apartments are stick-built I predict that noise from traffic will be a problem, but if the whole thing is concrete it will be less of an issue.

Interesting. Dawson/McDowell are formidable obstacles to most things built along them but The Dawson, Hue and Park Devereux have all done ok so I am optimistic. This would help distribute residential a little more evenly downtown and frankly, if retail will survive, residential stuff will have end up in some unlikely spots. This is a thought for the traffic thread, but I knowing of about 10 wrecks along the pair I am now thinking 25 mph with longer green sequences is needed...this would of course reduce the noise issue too.

• 5 months later...

I like the step back at the top level - those apartments will have some great patios!  And it adds at least some visual variation in the building rather than just a straight wall.  Plus you have the balconies and architectural sun screens (?) that jut out.

I think the reason the rendering looks boring is because of the lack of detail for the tan part of the building.  Not sure if that is supposed to be brick or EIFS.  Hopefully brick.  I see this building (if its brick, glass, and metal as it appears) as a good transition between the Fayetteville St area and the Warehouse District. 

It needs to sort of *be* part of the warehouse district as I think in many people's minds Poole's, the gallery beside it, Berkley etc, are sort of an extension of it despite the presence of Dawson and McDowell making it a pedestrian scary zone with high speed, high volume traffic bisecting the area. Hope it works. 

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here is an article and video about the groundbreaking. They mention a lot of the other projects going on, but they give 3 different figures when talking about the total amount of investment happening right now in downtown. http://www.wral.com/developer-reignites-plan-for-project-around-raleigh-parking-garage/13172837/

They appeared to mix up a lot of facts in that article. 

I agree.This caught my eye from the story:

"The Edison, a $160 million four-tower complex planned for a downtown block bounded by Wilmington, Martin, Blount and Davie streets. Two 38-story towers and two 29-story towers would include offices, retail space and high-rise condominiums"

Alas if only the 38 story towers were still in the picture

Archived