I-69 Segment Opens Oct. 3rd

Rardy

From today's Memphis Commercial Appeal

I-69 will open from I-55 near Hernando west to Hwy. 61 north of Tunica.

Construction on I-269 east of I-55 to Collierville, TN will begin in 3 years.

This is great news for North Mississippi! This will only help the many projects under construction both in DeSoto and in Tunica counties. It's so cool to think that currently DeSoto has 1 interstate (I-55). Tomorrow it'll have 2. And by the end of the decade it'll have four (55, 69, 269, and 22).

It'll be hard to leave Shelby County without going through DeSoto! :lol:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome news for DeSoto and Tunica Counties, now if Tennessee would just get on board and finish our section!!!!

The reconfiguration of the I-40/I-240 interchange in downtown Memphis was designed with I-69 in mind. That stretch opens in December, if I'm not mistaken. But it won't be signed I-69 for a while.

• 2 weeks later...

From today's Memphis Commercial Appeal

I-69 will open from I-55 near Hernando west to Hwy. 61 north of Tunica.

Construction on I-269 east of I-55 to Collierville, TN will begin in 3 years.

This is great news for North Mississippi! This will only help the many projects under construction both in DeSoto and in Tunica counties. It's so cool to think that currently DeSoto has 1 interstate (I-55). Tomorrow it'll have 2. And by the end of the decade it'll have four (55, 69, 269, and 22).

I haven't seen an interstate designation for U.S. 72. I've seen "upgraded to interstate standards", but never a number assigned. Do you know anything about that?

I drove I-69 last week and visually it looks a lot like I-55, of course. But it's notable because when it leaves the hills and tops the bluff over the delta, you can see for miles (probably to Arkansas on a clear day) and the Tunica skyline.

I was also surprised to see lighting at every interchange. As of now it's still a rural interstate...

• 2 weeks later...
I don't know anything about timelines or anything. I think it's called Corridor 7 (whereas I22 was Corridor 10). I think a lot of the progress has to do with how much Bama is pushing it, and what they're doing on their end to upgrade, if upgrades are necessary. If I remember correctly, to achieve interstate designation, a highway has to connect two other interstates? I could be wrong there.

This site is a little outdated (a little being three years): http://www.aaroads.com/high-priority/corr07.html

It's still listed under #7 on the fed site: http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/hep10/nhs/hipricorridors/hpcor.html

http://www.lordsutch.com/tn385/future.html

I think current plans have the eastern terminus of I-22 AND I-269 using that interchange too. That would mean at that single interchange, there would be four interstates - I-69, 22, 55, and 269. That may be a record, right off hand I can't think of an interchange anywhere else that simultaneously handles four different interstates (albeit four in name only).

You're right, that interchange will look much, much different in 20 years.

HOpefully we're not talking about a sprawl-type development akin to what you see in LA, Dallas, Atlanta. Until Riverbend I had little faith that the government officials in Desoto/Mississippi could even spell "pedestrian-friendly," "smart planning," or "new urbanism." But that's exactly what northern Mississippi could use to balance out all the traffic and just at the very minimum offer a distinct alternative to all the McSuburbs around.

I guess this is as good a place to discuss this as anywhere else...

Don't get me wrong -- I love new urbanism, but I also recognize it won't work everywhere. And DeSoto County is one of those places I predict will use it only in limited areas. Areas that have been predominantly rural rarely truly achieve new urbanism because they simply don't have the infrastructure to create that - only urban or ex-urban areas can really go New Urbanist. Rural areas are the most car-dependent areas in the country, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. They'd need something called "New Ruralism" or something. :lol:

Smart planning? Definitely. Zone, plan for the future, and keep green spaces. Hopefully DeSoto will do this and honestly, we have yet to see comprehensive forethought and planning.

Also, I'd rather see dense development in thin sections along highways than scattered in low density throughout the whole county. Just my thoughts.

Archived