I-69 Segment Opens Oct. 3rd

Rardy

As you say, I'd love to see parts of DeSoto County become urban and dense. It is indeed unrealistic to expect that all parts of the county should follow suit. Careful planning is definitely called for. Have they got anyone up to the task there?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this is about as "smart" as the smart planning gets in the area - Unfortunately for De Soto, this is in northern Tunica County - My roommate from law school is one of the developers of this project and the plans look fantastic - Great compliment to Riverbend - I'll post the website as soon as I can get it

http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/stories.../01/story2.html

I think this is about as "smart" as the smart planning gets in the area - Unfortunately for De Soto, this is in northern Tunica County - My roommate from law school is one of the developers of this project and the plans look fantastic - Great compliment to Riverbend - I'll post the website as soon as I can get it

http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/stories.../01/story2.html

While you can't make the entire county walkable, miles of endless tract housing doesn't fit into any reasonable plan. It should be most dense in the city center, then progessively getting more rural. A majority of the county should be rural, with lots of a minimum of an acre, but a large portion should be five acres or more.

What you can do is similar to Kirkwood, MO. A clear walkable large town square where most commercial development is focused, as well as townhomes, and low-rise apts and lofts (<5 stories). As you get further away from that, the lots get bigger. But all of the development and the streets no matter how subdivisiony seem to funnel residents toward the town square.

I'm hopeful somewhere in the metro we see a high-quality suburb like that sprout. Maybe northern Tunica. Maybe Desoto. Maybe E. Arkansas. Something different.

I wouldn't want to offend any members from the St. Louis metro area, but from what I have seen, the suburbs have done great harm to the urban core. only now are signs of life beginning to spark again in downtown St. Louis. I once considered moving there and mentioned that I was thinking of moving downtown. You couldn't imagine the incredulous stares I received. They simply could not fathom why anyone wouldn't be racing out to Creve Coeur or some such place. I had planned to live near Forest Park or by the Gateway Arch. I think St. Louis has lots of potential. Again, a lot of what happens in a city is due to the mindset of the people who live there.

I wouldn't want to offend any members from the St. Louis metro area, but from what I have seen, the suburbs have done great harm to the urban core. only now are signs of life beginning to spark again in downtown St. Louis. I once considered moving there and mentioned that I was thinking of moving downtown. You couldn't imagine the incredulous stares I received. They simply could not fathom why anyone wouldn't be racing out to Creve Coeur or some such place. I had planned to live near Forest Park or by the Gateway Arch. I think St. Louis has lots of potential. Again, a lot of what happens in a city is due to the mindset of the people who live there.

does anyone have a map?

I knew there were plans to finish or extend 69 from Indy, southward, but I had no idea that it was going that far south and that it is already underconstruction down there. As far as I know, it runs from Port Huron Mi to Indy, are there any other sections open yet?

does anyone have a map?

I knew there were plans to finish or extend 69 from Indy, southward, but I had no idea that it was going that far south and that it is already underconstruction down there. As far as I know, it runs from Port Huron Mi to Indy, are there any other sections open yet?

Archived