Bikes, Blues, and BBQ

For the record, I have never said the bikers are all low class or trashy. I would agree that at least half or more are middle aged business men trying to act like bad asses. The Harley culture is more of a dress-up "Halloween" kind of thing than anything else. Hell's Angels are a vestige of the past. Harleys are so expensive that you have to make a certain amount of money just to afford one. That said, I hate the noise and the traffic. Bikes do not have to be so loud. They don't need to be revved constantly. I used to own a bike shop and have personally owned more than a couple hundred bikes.

I'm glad to have my city back!

I would like to start a new festival here. "Artists, Alchohol, and Asian (food)." This would be an event where all the quiet artists come to town, fill our hotels and bars, drink heavily, and eat lots of sushi. Somehow I have to believe if we had 300,000 of these people we'd get all the benefits and few of the negatives associated with the mega-plus-sized wannabe bad-asses who bought $20,000 bikes with $5000 worth of clothing such as the crowd that BB&BBQ brings us. :yahoo:

I'm sure the city would be more than happy to have some other festival end up being as successful. But you usually don't get to pick. I know no one expected BBB to become what it has in only a few years. I don't know if you can keep people quiet and have them drink a lot. Isn't that somewhat of a contradiction? :lol: I would love to have some sort of arts festival become a huge event as well.

Personally, I love it.

Not because I'm a fan of bikes or bikers necessarily, but because I'm a fan of what it does for the City and the region and my business in particular.

I'm very familiar with all of the negatives that have been mentioned--I live around Wilson Park and my my business is located on Dickson Street. But, I'm a firm believer that the positives far outweigh all of the negatives.

Businesswise we have a phenominal week--basically equivalent to the business that a Razorback Football game brings us. But in addition to that, we also lease our entire parking lot to BBBQ vendors who are willing to pay some big money for prime Dickson Street vending locations. Of course the downside is that it absolutely works us to death Wednesday through Saturday, not to mention the fact that we are essentially closed to our regular customers (who make my business) for almost a full week.

As for the people that BBBQ brings to town, I would venture to say that 90%+ of them are well to do, well behaved and an absolute pleasure to deal with. As I have personally witnessed, many of the 'bad' folks who are associated with BBBQ aren't really bikers themselves, rather they are 'transients' who travel from festival to festival looking for cash day work with various vendors. They usually start arriving around Dickson a few days befor BBBQ and slowly filter out of town the following week. Interestingly though, the only problems that we've ever really had (although minor) have come from locals (usually younger 20-somethings) and notorious Dickson Street regulars. Even the police will confirm this, as annualy a significant percentage of the arrests are of 'locals'--folks who just show up to party, rather than those who show up in the true spirit of BBBQ.

I guess to summarize my ramblings about how I feel about BBBQ I'll say what I always tell my regular customers who ask me how I feel about it: "I love to see it come every year and after 5 days I love to see it go".

I would have to say I agree with you. I am not as affected by the postive or negative aspects like you and other people. But I still think it's a good thing for the city and certainly worth the inconveniences. :D

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to start a new festival here. "Artists, Alchohol, and Asian (food)." This would be an event where all the quiet artists come to town, fill our hotels and bars, drink heavily, and eat lots of sushi. Somehow I have to believe if we had 300,000 of these people we'd get all the benefits and few of the negatives associated with the mega-plus-sized wannabe bad-asses who bought $20,000 bikes with $5000 worth of clothing such as the crowd that BB&BBQ brings us. :yahoo:

Did you miss the Fayetteville Art Festival in early September? It was two weekends worth of artists- both visual art and performance art. It was well advertised in the newspaper and they had lots of posters up months in advance. You

Did you miss the Fayetteville Art Festival in early September? It was two weekends worth of artists- both visual art and performance art. It was well advertised in the newspaper and they had lots of posters up months in advance. You’ll be happy to know that the party on the first Friday night also included alcohol. (Last year’s festival had a beer/wine tent on the weekend.) Fayetteville Downtown Partners is trying to make this a big regional event. Get behind it and support it! It has grown every year and it’s great for the area. It was well organized and considered a success but the expectations are for more growth. http://fayettevillearts.org/faf2006/Schedu...of%20Events.pdf

Call them… maybe they’ll add culinary arts next year and you can have your sushi! www.fayettevilledowntown.com

If the artists had all revved their engines and honked their horns as they came into town I’m sure you would have heard about it.

No, I remember him saying he actually bought something there. But the Fayetteville Arts Festival isn't anywhere close to be what the BBB is. I do think the Fayetteville Arts Festival is growing and getting better but it's just growing much more slowly and may never get to be anything really big. But as I said before I'd also really like to have a huge arts festival here as well. I suppose the closest example of an arts festival that might be able to compare the the BBB is the Santa Fe Indian Market. Now that's a really big arts festival there. I know that generates a lot of money for Santa Fe. As a side note I have some pics of the Fayetteville Arts Festival. Most were posted in the Picture of the Day topic here in the forum.

No, I remember him saying he actually bought something there. But the Fayetteville Arts Festival isn't anywhere close to be what the BBB is. I do think the Fayetteville Arts Festival is growing and getting better but it's just growing much more slowly and may never get to be anything really big. But as I said before I'd also really like to have a huge arts festival here as well. I suppose the closest example of an arts festival that might be able to compare the the BBB is the Santa Fe Indian Market. Now that's a really big arts festival there. I know that generates a lot of money for Santa Fe. As a side not I have some pics of the Fayetteville Arts Festival. Most were posted in the Picture of the Day topic here in the forum.

Well BBBQ started as a poker run.

Did you miss the Fayetteville Art Festival in early September? It was two weekends worth of artists- both visual art and performance art. It was well advertised in the newspaper and they had lots of posters up months in advance. You

I saw some estimates for the number of people at the event as well as the number of bikes. It looks like there is a guess between 325,000 to 350,000 people attending the festival and about 125,000 bikes!!

That sounds about what I heard as well. I'm wondering what they're going to be expecting next year.

One thing I thought I should mention. Despite the increase of attendance arrests were actually down compared to last year. There were 40 arrests made this year, 57 last year. As expected the biggest problem was public intoxication and disorderly conduct. But overall it's certainly not bad considering just how many people were actually here.

One thing I thought I should mention. Despite the increase of attendance arrests were actually down compared to last year. There were 40 arrests made this year, 57 last year. As expected the biggest problem was public intoxication and disorderly conduct. But overall it's certainly not bad considering just how many people were actually here.

Thanks, Mith. How about injuries and deaths? Did you see any numbers on that subject?

Thanks, Mith. How about injuries and deaths? Did you see any numbers on that subject?

No I didn't see any numbers on injuries. And as far as I know there haven't been any deaths at any of the festivals. I imagine everyone would have heard about something like that.

No I didn't see any numbers on injuries. And as far as I know there haven't been any deaths at any of the festivals. I imagine everyone would have heard about something like that.

Mith,

Did you see the KNWA (?) story last night about the picture of the woman flashing her breasts before a crowd with what appeared to be a news helicopter in the background overhead? The anchors were reporting that it wasn't one of THEIR station's helos that was in the pic and were trying to identify whose it was.

Seems funny now but I don't think this type of behavior (chronicled in places like Easy Rider magazine, which I used to get a kick out of) is what Fayetteville wants to become known for.

Mith,

Did you see the KNWA (?) story last night about the picture of the woman flashing her breasts before a crowd with what appeared to be a news helicopter in the background overhead? The anchors were reporting that it wasn't one of THEIR station's helos that was in the pic and were trying to identify whose it was.

Seems funny now but I don't think this type of behavior (chronicled in places like Easy Rider magazine, which I used to get a kick out of) is what Fayetteville wants to become known for.

One of the events at the BBBQ is the bikini contest where scantily clad women wiggle around on stage. A public flasher shouldn't be too much of a shock.

The flasher from the helicopter was actually a private helicopter that was giving rides from the airport venue on Saturday. It was assumed it was a news station because it had the word Fox on the side of it. It is actually some outfit out of Tulsa that was giving rides at the Ride N Boogie event.

So the real story is that a helicopter had a woman bare chested flashing the crowd and some people from the ground saw it.

One of the events at the BBBQ is the bikini contest where scantily clad women wiggle around on stage. A public flasher shouldn't be too much of a shock.

• 4 weeks later...

Did anyone hear any final numbers of bike and people for this years event? I would guess around 350,000 or so people attended. Also, I wonder how many attended the Ride and Boogie at Drake Field.

The last estimate I heard was around 325,000. I don't think I ever heard any numbers for the other event.

• 1 month later...

I wasn't there for this year, but the past few years I was living in an apartment near the UofA campus. And yes, the constant drone of bikes driving by was definitely present.

However, I generally enjoy it. I don't own a motorcycle, but I have several friends that do. I think the years I attended, I was in that local 20-something crowd that's just there to party and almost gets arrested.

Personally, I kind of like it when the town turns upside-down for a few days. If it were any longer, I think it would probably put a strain on the locals. But, I think anybody can tolerate 5 days of noise if they keep an open mind.

• 4 weeks later...

Personally, I kind of like it when the town turns upside-down for a few days. If it were any longer, I think it would probably put a strain on the locals. But, I think anybody can tolerate 5 days of noise if they keep an open mind.

I don't particularly like it, but I like motorcycles. I'd like to own one if I had the money. And I agree that it's good for the town to get shaken up every so often; sort of keeps people grounded. I guess the sometimes excessive noise and crowded traffic are my main gripes.

I don't particularly like it, but I like motorcycles. I'd like to own one if I had the money. And I agree that it's good for the town to get shaken up every so often; sort of keeps people grounded. I guess the sometimes excessive noise and crowded traffic are my main gripes.

Yeah I do realize it's an inconvenience to people. But I think if people were going to make that argument then why shouldn't I complain about Razorback football games then? I don't personally get any extra revenue and I have to deal with the inconveniences of that. But hey I don't because I know it's good for the city. Maybe I could also feel more sympathetic if it was someone other than Underwood complaining about it. I could see some Mom and Pop place having a potential problem with business but I don't see Underwood's as a place that's struggling or anything. I don't see why they couldn't just take the weekend off and close that particular weekend.

Yeah I do realize it's an inconvenience to people. But I think if people were going to make that argument then why shouldn't I complain about Razorback football games then? I don't personally get any extra revenue and I have to deal with the inconveniences of that. But hey I don't because I know it's good for the city. Maybe I could also feel more sympathetic if it was someone other than Underwood complaining about it. I could see some Mom and Pop place having a potential problem with business but I don't see Underwood's as a place that's struggling or anything. I don't see why they couldn't just take the weekend off and close that particular weekend.

Although the BB&B lasts nearly 5 days now, while an average Razorback game lasts one day (one and a half for the people staying the night). On the Sunday after a game it's like Fayetteville is a ghost town. Basketball games last less than one day. So the inconvenience is longer. But I agree; Underwood doesn't exactly solicit a lot of sympathy from the likes of a lowly college student such as I.

Although the BB&B lasts nearly 5 days now, while an average Razorback game lasts one day (one and a half for the people staying the night). On the Sunday after a game it's like Fayetteville is a ghost town. Basketball games last less than one day. So the inconvenience is longer. But I agree; Underwood doesn't exactly solicit a lot of sympathy from the likes of a lowly college student such as I.

True, BBB does last longer but I think most of the people and the inconvenience comes from just the weekend. But I do understand that it hurts some businesses and such like Underwoods. It just seems to me inconveniencing some people over a weekend is still worth it for the city as a whole. I'm sure not everyone neccessarily benefits from the Razorback football games either.

Hey maybe they could change it to Broncs, Banjos & Barbecue! It would fit in better with the whole Ozarks thing and would be quieter too. Might not smell so good, but exhaust fumes don't smell so good either. :D

Hey maybe that can be a Springdale festival. :D Just kidding.

I question those attendance figures. When a Razorback football game is soldout at 76,000 and every hotel room in the region is booked, how can 350,000 have a place to stay? Even if 100,000 (which seems unlikely) camp out, that still leaves 250,000 looking for a place to stay. The figure of 125,000 bikes doesn't seem possible either. I've walked the Dickson Street area every year during the festival and while there are thousands of bikes, it's nowhere near that number.

I've read that those figures are arrived at by aerial photos right over Dickson and trying to extrapolate for the whole area. I'd like to see a more definitive count by someone who doesn't have a stake in the outcome. The festival has certainly outgrown that area and opening the Tyson Track center and Drake Field didn't help the pressure on it.

In a couple of years when the condo projects in that area are finished there will be enough pressure to push the festival away from there. People won't pay a million dollars for a condo and put up with that sort of disruption.

Archived