Bikes, Blues, and BBQ

Whether they should or not, a sizable number of people are going to make a connection between the two and the BBBQ organizers would be well advised to make clear that there is no way that something like that could happen on Dickson Street.

What happened in Eureka Springs can happen anywhere there are a lot of bikers gathered. There were 60 State Troopers assigned to Carroll County and Eureka Springs so I'm sure the organizers in Eureka Springs felt that nothing could possibly happen. Hopefully the organizers of BBBQ will present some kind of message of regret about what happened in Eureka and then promise to do everything they can to prevent something like that from happening in Fayetteville. Saying it couldn't possibly happen on Dickson Street is an invitation for someone to stick their foot in their mouth. If either gangs or any associations are present in Fayetteville during BBBQ there could very well be a retaliation over what happened in Eureka.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What happened in Eureka Springs can happen anywhere there are a lot of bikers gathered. There were 60 State Troopers assigned to Carroll County and Eureka Springs so I'm sure the organizers in Eureka Springs felt that nothing could possibly happen. Hopefully the organizers of BBBQ will present some kind of message of regret about what happened in Eureka and then promise to do everything they can to prevent something like that from happening in Fayetteville. Saying it couldn't possibly happen on Dickson Street is an invitation for someone to stick their foot in their mouth. If either gangs or any associations are present in Fayetteville during BBBQ there could very well be a retaliation over what happened in Eureka.

I would think this gathering in Eureka would be more likely to cause problems because it was a gathering of a gang. But yes I do wonder if someone is going to try to use BBB for retaliation.

I would think this gathering in Eureka would be more likely to cause problems because it was a gathering of a gang. But yes I do wonder if someone is going to try to use BBB for retaliation.

BBBQ response

The organizers and Fayetteville police are saying the right things in response to the Eureka incident, but like you two say there is no way to know what is planned by the clubs. There was a heavy law enforcement presence in Eureka - more per club member than BBBQ ever could be and something still happened. I get the impression these aren't the type of people to let a disagreement drop- there will be something more occur. I guess our best hope is that it occurs elsewhere and stays there. I also imagine they don't care about bad publicity, but doing something at BBBQ would attract a lot more negative attention than they could possibly want. I could see them picking a campground or other remote spot to cause trouble, though.

BBBQ response

The organizers and Fayetteville police are saying the right things in response to the Eureka incident, but like you two say there is no way to know what is planned by the clubs. There was a heavy law enforcement presence in Eureka - more per club member than BBBQ ever could be and something still happened. I get the impression these aren't the type of people to let a disagreement drop- there will be something more occur. I guess our best hope is that it occurs elsewhere and stays there. I also imagine they don't care about bad publicity, but doing something at BBBQ would attract a lot more negative attention than they could possibly want. I could see them picking a campground or other remote spot to cause trouble, though.

Yeah it would be a shame for biker gangs to end up ruining BBB.

• 2 months later...

Now that BBBBB..BBQ is here I thought I'd post an interesting article from nwanews.com about who welcomes it or not: Fayetteville welcomes the bikes

I'd say it's interesting how some of the city council doesn't attend or whatever. It seems like some people just aren't interested in the event that has to be one of the biggest events a city could draw outside of football in this area.

Now that BBBBB..BBQ is here I thought I'd post an interesting article from nwanews.com about who welcomes it or not: Fayetteville welcomes the bikes

I'd say it's interesting how some of the city council doesn't attend or whatever. It seems like some people just aren't interested in the event that has to be one of the biggest events a city could draw outside of football in this area.

Yeah and that a number of people in the city still just seem to refuse to support it. Granted this is on a larger scale, but to me this has some of the same inconveniences that the football games have. But you never here anyone make a big deal about them. Anyway I personally still think the all the pros outweigh the cons.

Talk about free advertising... I knew BBBBQ was near due to all the motorcycles running around Rogers and Bentonville. I'm guessing that generally BBBBQ bikers are decent people, but what's with the a-holes dressed like Hell's Angels that walk across highways without consideration of traffic? I was coming down Hwy 102 today and this biker was taking his sweet time crossing the intersection while traffic had to stop at a green light to wait for him to cross, then another biker a half mile further did the same thing, but not at an intersection. Guess there's always some bad apples in every batch.

Talk about free advertising... I knew BBBBQ was near due to all the motorcycles running around Rogers and Bentonville. I'm guessing that generally BBBBQ bikers are decent people, but what's with the a-holes dressed like Hell's Angels that walk across highways without consideration of traffic? I was coming down Hwy 102 today and this biker was taking his sweet time crossing the intersection while traffic had to stop at a green light to wait for him to cross, then another biker a half mile further did the same thing, but not at an intersection. Guess there's always some bad apples in every batch.

Probably over 95% of people attending Bikes, Blues and BBQ are wearing leathers and/or denim and have no affiliation with any outlaw gang. Colors, which are the emblems that gang members wear to indentify themselves as such, are not allowed at any official event or location.

For an event this size it has been relatively quiet with little trouble as far as I've seen. Lots of traffic and people but that's just money in the bank for the area.

Probably over 95% of people attending Bikes, Blues and BBQ are wearing leathers and/or denim and have no affiliation with any outlaw gang. Colors, which are the emblems that gang members wear to indentify themselves as such, are not allowed at any official event or location.

For an event this size it has been relatively quiet with little trouble as far as I've seen. Lots of traffic and people but that's just money in the bank for the area.

The 2 bikers I'm referring to had on denim vests with large emblems on the back, but I didn't stop to find out if they were gang emblems... not that I would know the difference. They must think that all the roads in NWA are as pedestrian friendly as Dickson St. Hwy 102 is very dangerous to cross even at intersections with protected pedestrian lights, but the real danger is to drivers having to avoid hitting a ped out looking for a lawsuit.

The 2 bikers I'm referring to had on denim vests with large emblems on the back, but I didn't stop to find out if they were gang emblems... not that I would know the difference. They must think that all the roads in NWA are as pedestrian friendly as Dickson St. Hwy 102 is very dangerous to cross even at intersections with protected pedestrian lights, but the real danger is to drivers having to avoid hitting a ped out looking for a lawsuit.

All right- I've got a cold, I'm congested and can't sleep good, so here goes.......

Check this link out:

B.A.C.A. website

Maybe the bikers you saw were from this group with these emblems on their vests. There is a active group of people from this organization in NWA and the Midwest region. Linking someone to a outlaw gang of thugs because of their clothing is stereotyping and wrong.

I've driven Hwy 102 many times: stepping out into traffic intentionally isn't looking to sue someone, it's looking to commit suicide. People ignore the posted limits there as bad as they do on I540- which is to say that 20 mph over is the norm.

That's the bad thing though, because of a few bad bikers I think some people try to stereotype all the bikers like that. KNWA chief meteorologist Dan Skoff was out on his bike and even did the weather for the show from it. A lot of the people here are well off businessmen and professionals.

Check this link out:

B.A.C.A. website

Maybe the bikers you saw were from this group with these emblems on their vests. There is a active group of people from this organization in NWA and the Midwest region. Linking someone to a outlaw gang of thugs because of their clothing is stereotyping and wrong.

I've driven Hwy 102 many times: stepping out into traffic intentionally isn't looking to sue someone, it's looking to commit suicide. People ignore the posted limits there as bad as they do on I540- which is to say that 20 mph over is the norm.

I used Hell's Angels as an example for these particular bikers because of their seemingly bad attitudes and disrespect for people obeying the law and driving the speed limit. They may have been suicidal but I think they probably just didn't care if they got hit because if they lived they would most likely be set for life. Besides, I've never seen anyone driving more than the posted speed limit of 45mph on Hwy 102 and I'm usually the fastest at 45mph. It's literally impossible to go half that speed nearer the bypass due to traffic congestion.

That's the bad thing though, because of a few bad bikers I think some people try to stereotype all the bikers like that. KNWA chief meteorologist Dan Skoff was out on his bike and even did the weather for the show from it. A lot of the people here are well off businessmen and professionals.

Most bikers I've seen driving around town seem like professional types, but there's going to be bad apples at every event and not just biker rallies.

Most bikers I've seen driving around town seem like professional types, but there's going to be bad apples at every event and not just biker rallies.

Exactly. If there are bad obnoxious fans at a Razorback football game, does that mean all Razorback fans are bad people or that we need to do away with football games?

MC gang colors are not allowed and they'll be told to take them off or leave. There is a chapter of the Outlaw MC in Fayetteville, and the Bandidos from Texas claim our area as theirs, that's why the Hell's Angels don't like to come here. This is a family event and the bad type of motorcyle clubs don't fit in, they'll go to Sturges for that one.

Oh emblems, there's lots of Christian based motorcycle clubs which you might see and if you see The Blue Knights, they're cops.

I went to the ZZ Top concert Friday night which was amazing. Must have been over 10,000 people at Tyson Track Center and everyone was loud, having fun, but behaved. Except for the guy who stabbed the other guy, but other than that it was a good time!

I went to the ZZ Top concert Friday night which was amazing. Must have been over 10,000 people at Tyson Track Center and everyone was loud, having fun, but behaved. Except for the guy who stabbed the other guy, but other than that it was a good time!

I guess someone didn't like someone else touching his velcro fly. :lol:

As a local, who lives in the downtown area of Fayetteville, I really hate this event. I will do everything I can to get out of town next year. It's not that these people are all scary, or anything close to it. They are more like Halloween revellers than anything else, all dressed up in black leather and trying to be bad asses. I have been riding bikes for 37 years and used to own a bike shop. I still write for motorcycle magazines (should have an article in the December issue of Motorcyclist--not about this event!). I just don't like the noise and the bad riding. The poseurs who ride $25K chomed monstrosities that are slower and handle far worse than a new $5000 Japanese bike are really kind of sad. Most of them trailer their beasts to the hotel from whereever they live, then don their extra, extra large black leathers and get on their bikes to ride two miles to Dickson St. where they can pretend they are living free or dying. Their exhaust is too loud. They are poor riders. Many cannot ride without their feet dragging behind them (a real no-no). They drink and ride (really dumb). They run red lights (we witnessed this many times--I had to fight the urge to go and let them run into me). I was so glad when Sunday rolled around, my kid could sleep again, and the streets were wiped clean. BTW, it is amazing that Fayetteville can clean up after something like this as fast we do. It is a real testament to the city having it's act together.

I realize many of you disagree with me on this. So be it. We are all entitled to our opinions.

Mark

Unfortunately the city isn't acting together and I'm wondering how long before the people opposed to this festival find a way to ruin it and make the festival leave. I do admit it does cause inconveniences. But I guess I still believe there are more pros than cons. To me it seems if we're going to get rid of this then why bother having the Razorback football games up here as well. Those inconvenience me. I guess I'm a little surprised I don't hear more people complain about the football games as well.

Unfortunately the city isn't acting together and I'm wondering how long before the people opposed to this festival find a way to ruin it and make the festival leave. I do admit it does cause inconveniences. But I guess I still believe there are more pros than cons. To me it seems if we're going to get rid of this then why bother having the Razorback football games up here as well. Those inconvenience me. I guess I'm a little surprised I don't hear more people complain about the football games as well.

Rod--there are a number of differences in this event and a football game. Games are much shorter--a few hours. And game people aren't all disturbing the peace for four or five days, day and night. This is much more intrusive and disruptive than a game.

My prediction is that it won't go away. Even if people like me hate the silly event it cannot be stopped at this point. It will just get bigger and bigger over time. So I guess the only point of my complaints is to ventilate!

M

Rod--there are a number of differences in this event and a football game. Games are much shorter--a few hours. And game people aren't all disturbing the peace for four or five days, day and night. This is much more intrusive and disruptive than a game.

My prediction is that it won't go away. Even if people like me hate the silly event it cannot be stopped at this point. It will just get bigger and bigger over time. So I guess the only point of my complaints is to ventilate!

M

Yeah I know the football games aren't the greatest analogy. But they do create inconveniences as well. But seriously I am a bit surprised that some haven't complained about it. I do understand the frustration it can cause. I guess in my case I can easily work around it so it doesn't bother me very much. But I can see that perhaps with some people it's not as easy to avoid. I guess what bothers me the most is when people like Mr Underwood complain. For someone who's supposed to be all for our community and such. It just doesn't seem that big of a deal that for one weekend he doesn't have as many customers. I'm pretty sure he's doing well enough and there isn't any worries that that one weekend is going to financially ruin him. But anyway, I do see the problems it can cause people. I guess this is just another topic that we'll disagree on. :fun:

M

If an incident like what happened at the Tyson Track Center happens on a larger scale on Dickson Street it might cause the end of BBBQ, or at least drastically change it. That's a good point about the difference of a football game and BBBQ also. People travel here, all together watch the game and go home. With BBBQ they travel here and mostly hang out on Dickson Street or ride around for several days. It leaves a lot of time to get into mischief for those so inclined.

• 11 months later...

It's pretty obvious to anyone living here that BBB is upon us again. Predictions seem to be around 300,000 to 350,000 people, which I think is about the same for last year. Although I think once you hit numbers like that it's hard to get any bigger. They've tried to move more of it away from Dickson St. Not sure if you can keep people gathering around Dickson St though. Perhaps the only other thing I've heard mentioned specifically was that there would be helicopter flights this year. Not sure if some like the idea of even more noise added to all the bikes. But I've seen the helicopter flying around and it's a smaller quiter type of helicopter.

Yeah I've see the helicopter also. It's $50 per person but I wonder how long a flight it is? I bet it would be a great view and really cool at night although I thinhk I read that they wouldn't offer flights after dark.

It does look like another good crowd- the weather should help a lot of last minute visitors join in.

Yeah I've see the helicopter also. It's $50 per person but I wonder how long a flight it is? I bet it would be a great view and really cool at night although I thinhk I read that they wouldn't offer flights after dark.

It does look like another good crowd- the weather should help a lot of last minute visitors join in.

Yeah I have no idea how long the flights are. I admit I am curious myself. Don't think I'll get around to it this year. But if they offer them next year I would like to try it out.

Yeah I have no idea how long the flights are. I admit I am curious myself. Don't think I'll get around to it this year. But if they offer them next year I would like to try it out.

There's two helicopters flying around town, a very small bubble body one and a larger sleek looking black one. One is flying from the old Razorback 6 parking lot and the other from the Clarion Inn. I'll try and check out what options are avaialable.

Archived