Shreveport-Bossier and the riverfront

dingo

Why is it that there isnt more of a focus to get people down there closer to the river? Heres what I think they could do to improve things:

1) Clear out the brush alongside the parkways so that when you are driving or walking on the parkway that you can actually SEE the river.

2) Tear down that barnwell/old greenhouse on the Shreveport riverfront. Its a great location and its not getting used at all other than a bunch of old fogeys who straddle on in there from time to time. Dont tell me that you wouldnt want to see a nice restaurant down there on the riverfront. imagine eating on the patio of a restaurant there over looking the river.

3) Tear down the old sypmhony hall (not the expo hall) but the one that is next to the new Shreveport tourism building. Good place for either a hotel or hell a parking garage.

4) repave the jogging strip. Actually, I saw the other day that they are doing this. Thats good.

5) Expand the boat launch site at Stoner or add a new one.

6) the huge empty field on the parkway, like at stoner, those need developing. I dont mean another strip mall or a mcdonalds, but how about some housing developments.

thoughts? more suggestions?

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dingo, you raise some good points. Here is my take on your list:

1) Clear out the brush alongside the parkways so that when you are driving or walking on the parkway that you can actually SEE the river.

I agree 100%. I believe the thinning of the brush and trees around Hamel Park should be continued up and down the riverfront. Not only can people then actually see the river, making it easier to capitalize on, but they can also see the skyline from the parkway north of downtown. There are some excellent, untapped skyline viewpoints along the riverfront, and only when it's thinned out will those viewpoints be realized and enjoyed by the masses.

2) Tear down that barnwell/old greenhouse on the Shreveport riverfront. Its a great location and its not getting used at all other than a bunch of old fogeys who straddle on in there from time to time. Dont tell me that you wouldnt want to see a nice restaurant down there on the riverfront. imagine eating on the patio of a restaurant there over looking the river.

I've long thought about alternative uses for the Barnwell Center, but I must say I've always enjoyed it. I haven't been down there in a while, but they're supposed to be starting on a large-scale remodeling project. The conservatory will be completely rebuilt, and ventilation is supposed to be improved. The outdoor plaza area is supposed to be enclosed with glass, offering panoramic river and Boardwalk views, and making it more enjoyable in just about any weather.

I think this remodel and clean-up of the property is a great step forward. Many cities don't have a conservatory on their riverfronts or in their downtown areas, and it's a great asset as an educational resource. School children enjoy it, and every person I've taken to it from out of town has enjoyed it. Most people just echoed me when I'd say that it was in bad need of a remodel. Looks like that should be getting underway soon, if it's not already underway.

3) Tear down the old sypmhony hall (not the expo hall) but the one that is next to the new Shreveport tourism building. Good place for either a hotel or hell a parking garage.

The Shreveport Symphony Orchestra still uses this building, and weddings are held there quite often as well. This certainly wouldn't ever happen, and to be honest I don't think it should. Shreveport needs every ounce of culture it can get, and our Symphony, Opera, and Ballet all add to the overall quality of life for the entire region. If we lost those groups, our quality of life rankings on national lists would plummet. As it stands, aside from the crime, Shreveport has a pretty high quality of life.

4) repave the jogging strip. Actually, I saw the other day that they are doing this. Thats good.

Agreed, and I also saw that this is underway. I used to walk and cycle along that trail all the time... it was in desperate need of widening, and I'm glad to see it happening finally! I just hope they don't leave gaping seams, because otherwise they will leave themselves wide open to lawsuits stemming from injuries.

5) Expand the boat launch site at Stoner or add a new one.

I'd like to see the Stoner Boat Launch expanded, and more things added to complement the restaurant. A full-service marina it's not. Our Red River holds much promise, and I'd like to see it capitalized on as much as possible.

6) the huge empty field on the parkway, like at stoner, those need developing. I dont mean another strip mall or a mcdonalds, but how about some housing developments.

This is in the works, but whether or not it will ever be done remains to be seen. A large development was announced for this particular area a couple years ago, but nothing has been done yet. A good mixture of homes, lodging, dining, and entertainment was planned for this site. I'd love to hear what has become of this.

Thanks for bringing up these points. You could get a really good discussion going on this thread.

Archived