Botanical Garden of the Ozarks in Fayetteville

Mith242

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In no way advocating stealing but if your going to steal, don't do it from an agency which is just as broke as you are. Have some tact!

I doubt the theft was personal so tact has nothing to do with it. I doubt it was as noble a reason as putting food on the dinner table, putting shoes on your child's feet or paying your mortgage so you're not living on the streets. Most likely it was a couple of construction workers (hint: inside job) who saw it as an opportunity to make a quick buck. No doubt to make that down payment on a new truck or go buy some drugs and go bar hopping and picking up loose women.

Yes it does seem to have some sort of inside connection. They seemed to know where everything was and how to get in and out quickly. Either way I don't have much sympathy for thieves. Yes I know prices are going up but there is a thing called working a little harder as well. I think many people have gotten very lazy. If it was just food stolen in grocery stores that would be one thing. But guess another big item stolen a lot. Air freshener refills! Yes they are small and easy to get out. But come on, is it really that important to steal air freshener refills? :rolleyes::lol:

Yes it does seem to have some sort of inside connection. They seemed to know where everything was and how to get in and out quickly. Either way I don't have much sympathy for thieves. Yes I know prices are going up but there is a thing called working a little harder as well. I think many people have gotten very lazy. If it was just food stolen in grocery stores that would be one thing. But guess another big item stolen a lot. Air freshener refills! Yes they are small and easy to get out. But come on, is it really that important to steal air freshener refills? :rolleyes::lol:

Stealing meds from Walmart and like stores was a problem a couple of years ago and probably still is. High-yield for small sizes.

• 3 weeks later...

I went by the Botanical Garden yesterday. I was a bit surprised to see that all of phase one wasn't done yet. I was under the impression all of phase one would have already been finished. I can see they've made progress since last year. But to me I think all of phase one won't be finished till next year. Some of the areas just look like they were started recently.

I went by the Botanical Garden yesterday. I was a bit surprised to see that all of phase one wasn't done yet. I was under the impression all of phase one would have already been finished. I can see they've made progress since last year. But to me I think all of phase one won't be finished till next year. Some of the areas just look like they were started recently.

They must not be getting as much funding as they had hoped for. I tried to stop by there the other day but I was on the wrong side of Lake Fayetteville, so my family just stopped and enjoyed the playground next to the ballfields. The walking trail looked very inviting though and I would assume it leads to the Botanical Gardens.

They must not be getting as much funding as they had hoped for. I tried to stop by there the other day but I was on the wrong side of Lake Fayetteville, so my family just stopped and enjoyed the playground next to the ballfields. The walking trail looked very inviting though and I would assume it leads to the Botanical Gardens.

Well when I heard about it opening I guess I just assumed that all of phase one would be finished. As far as the trail goes, the paved one leads to the bridge and to some docks. There is a dirt trail that follows the rest of the lake and that trail will eventually take you to the Botanical Garden.

• 4 months later...

Paige Mulhollan has been named the new executive director of the botanical gardens. He'll fill the position that's been vacant since the death of Carl Totemeier. After he left the U of A he's been involved with a number of organizations including the Hilton Head Island Audubon Society, the Carolina Butterfly Society and the Coastal Discovery Museum. I'm curious to see what the botanical garden has in store for the next couple of years.

• 1 year later...

Although there are still plenty of people visiting the Botanical Garden of the Ozarks, it's having some big problems. Compared to last year donations are down $200,000. It needs $50,000 to get through this winter and is still waiting for a full time executive director who could help focus on fund raising. Hopefully things can be worked out. It would be a real shame to lose the garden so soon.

• 1 year later...

Looks like the botanical garden will be slowly start the beginnings of the next phase. Sometime this summer the botanical garden should have a butterfly house adjoining gazebo and meeting space completed. There will also be a 5,000 sq ft demonstration garden as well. The butterfly garden would be an enclosed area that would have over 20 local species. Attendance in 2010 was about 200 shy of 30,000.

Looks like the botanical garden will be slowly start the beginnings of the next phase. Sometime this summer the botanical garden should have a butterfly house adjoining gazebo and meeting space completed. There will also be a 5,000 sq ft demonstration garden as well. The butterfly garden would be an enclosed area that would have over 20 local species. Attendance in 2010 was about 200 shy of 30,000.

That's exciting. I really like the BGO and miss being able to go visit it. That's one thing that's missing in Little Rock that I wish we had- a conventional botanical gardens. I know Wildwood park fills that role somewhat, but it'd be nice to have something more significant closer to downtown and the other cultural draws of the area.

I remember it wasn't long ago they were having funding problems- wonder how they resolved them?

I'm not sure about the funding problems they had experienced. There was an increase in attendance last year. I suppose that might have helped raise funds. What exists at the botanical garden now is just a small part of what's eventually planned. But it's going to take years, probably decades before it's ever completed. I think they are just slowly plotting along trying to get some small phase done every so many years.

Archived