Botanical Garden of the Ozarks in Fayetteville

Mith242

Yeah you're right the only way I see it happening anywhere in the near future is if all the NWA cities work together and get one. Well unless one of the Waltons suddenly decided to build one. Not sure if that's too likely to happen though. I always wondered if the area would consider something small and work their way up from there. Perhaps the same thing for an aquarium as well. Hot Springs does have an aquarium of a sort. It's certainly nothing fancy but hey they have more than what we have. It's been quite a while since I've been to it. But I think it was an old retail spot that was converted into a makeshift aquarium. They had a number of large household type aquariums. The first time I went to it I was rather disappointed but I should have known better since I had never heard anything about it before. But to be honest the more I thought about it, it really wasn't all that bad. They still had some very interesting fish and the aquariums were set up nicely and as I said they were rather large for something you could get at home. But anyway I guess my point is, that we might have to start small and work our way up to get some of these things.

You could actually look at the Botanical Gardens of the Ozarks as an example of how a zoo or aquarium would devlop in NWA, since it's basically starting small. The overall design for when it's complete is impressive as would a zoo or aquarium.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You could actually look at the Botanical Gardens of the Ozarks as an example of how a zoo or aquarium would devlop in NWA, since it's basically starting small. The overall design for when it's complete is impressive as would a zoo or aquarium.

Yes that's true as well. In the case of a zoo, focus just on some habitats for a handful of animals. Maybe go for a particular theme. Then just keep adding on when the money is available.

Went to the dedication, although I think it was mainly this morning. Perhaps I got ahead of myself proclaiming them open. Looks like there's still quite a bit of work to be done. Aside from the horticulture center being finished only two gardens were ready to go. I'll post some pics a little later.

I'll get a few pics going. The first few are of the Carl Totemeier Horticulture Center. On the unfinished gardens I just mainly took a pic of the sign. Although I did take some pics of some of the sculptures. The Sensory Garden has a unique layout of a butterfly. The wings will be wildflowers and the rest of the body is a sculpture. The only bad thing is I wish there was some way to be able to see this from a higher viewpoint. There's a couple of pics of the head and abdomen part of the butterfly as well.

bgo01ei3.jpg

bgo02ua5.jpg

bgo03je7.jpg

bgo04wg7.jpg

bgo07hl5.jpg

bgo05wf9.jpg

bgo06xj0.jpg

bgo08ts3.jpg

bgo09ew0.jpg

Here's some pics of the Shade Garden one of the two gardens that look like they're finished or close to it. There is some seating here but it's the benches not the 'chairs'. I thought the 'chairs' were pretty interesting. Then there's also a not so great pic of a small fountain.

bgo10mz8.jpg

bgo11ej6.jpg

bgo12uo2.jpg

bgo13jk1.jpg

bgo14xc3.jpg

Very Beautiful!! I can't wait to see this once it's completed. It will be one of the top cultural attractions in the metro. I see you were busy with your camera today as well Mith.

I really wasn't out very long. It didn't take me very long to take these pics. I'm not feeling all that great so I didn't feel like going out and doing a whole lot. But I did want to at least check this out. Although I was under the impression all the gardens in this first phase were ready.

I really wasn't out very long. It didn't take me very long to take these pics. I'm not feeling all that great so I didn't feel like going out and doing a whole lot. But I did want to at least check this out. Although I was under the impression all the gardens in this first phase were ready.

I didn't realize that all of the garden plans you posted before were already being done... I thought it was just the top one. This is great! I can't wait to take my family.

I didn't realize that all of the garden plans you posted before were already being done... I thought it was just the top one. This is great! I can't wait to take my family.

I guess I had the opposite reaction. I thought all those gardens had been done as parts of the first phase. I'm pretty sure all of these are still just considered the first phase. I assumed since they were having a dedication and the way the media covered it that the first phase was ready and that they were opening. Looks to me all of this might not be ready till spring. I'm also still trying to figure out what exactly that sculpture is going to be at the Children's Garden.

Another nice write-up in the Northwest Arkansas Times about the American in Bloom competition. Aside from the fact the city does well in the competition, just the fact that the city is trying helps improve the look of the city. Sounds like they will continue to keep trying to plant and landscape more areas of the city. One being mentioned is the I-540 and Wedington intersection.

Another nice write-up in the Northwest Arkansas Times about the American in Bloom competition. Aside from the fact the city does well in the competition, just the fact that the city is trying helps improve the look of the city. Sounds like they will continue to keep trying to plant and landscape more areas of the city. One being mentioned is the I-540 and Wedington intersection.

The northern I-540 entrance to Fayetteville desperately needs some plants. Everyday on my way home to Fayetteville I'm greeted by a desolate, weed & scrub, AHTD parking lot. I really wish there was a corporate sponsor that would step up, like Target did at College & Joyce, and landscape that gateway. Even with low/no maintenance trees, shrubs, or grasses. Flowers or pretty would be a bonus. I hate that visitors from the north into Fayetteville see that. It's state property but they are willing to work with someone to improve it.

The northern I-540 entrance to Fayetteville desperately needs some plants. Everyday on my way home to Fayetteville I'm greeted by a desolate, weed & scrub, AHTD parking lot. I really wish there was a corporate sponsor that would step up, like Target did at College & Joyce, and landscape that gateway. Even with low/no maintenance trees, shrubs, or grasses. Flowers or pretty would be a bonus. I hate that visitors from the north into Fayetteville see that. It's state property but they are willing to work with someone to improve it.

Interesting point. Some plants and landscaping on both ends of the I-540 would be pretty nice. Maybe we can eventually get something going.

It would best be prudent to propose that when I-540 gets widened.

• 7 months later...

I forgot to mention this before, but I believe the Botanical Garden is having a 'soft' opening today. But I don't think it officially opens for another week.

There's no information on their website and my mom is down here visiting for a month. I wish people took their websites more seriously because it's the best form of advertising.

There's no information on their website and my mom is down here visiting for a month. I wish people took their websites more seriously because it's the best form of advertising.

I'm not positive but I believe that's what KNWA reported not too long ago.

• 2 months later...

Unfortunately the other day the garden had an expensive piece of equipment disappear. Looks like someone drove up a rig and they managed to get a big piece of machinery in and drove it off. Sounds like it was worth around $10,000. With all the construction going on, we seem to have certainly become a hot spot for theft on developments.

Unfortunately the other day the garden had an expensive piece of equipment disappear. Looks like someone drove up a rig and they managed to get a big piece of machinery in and drove it off. Sounds like it was worth around $10,000. With all the construction going on, we seem to have certainly become a hot spot for theft on developments.

I can almost hear the police radio now; "calling all cars, be on the lookout for a large rig pulling a trailer loaded with construction equipment." All cars respond at once; "which one?"

BTW, where's the nearest chop shop for large construction equipment? ;)

I can almost hear the police radio now; "calling all cars, be on the lookout for a large rig pulling a trailer loaded with construction equipment." All cars respond at once; "which one?"

BTW, where's the nearest chop shop for large construction equipment? ;)

The bad thing is being near the edge of the state it wouldn't be too hard for them to try to sell it in another nearby state that might not be tipped off about the whole thing.

Thats just plain trashy.

Archived