Trout Brook Brewery looking for new home

Carter711

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thomas Hooker Beer May Just Be The Product Connecticut Needs To Elicit Some Home-state Pride

http://www.ctnow.com/custom/nmm/hartfordad...nes-ha-advocate

I think the city should be trying hard to move Trout Brook downtown. It would be a shame to see them move out to Bristol or another suburb.

And with the subsidies Front St. is getting you'd think they'd be willing to work something out with them there. Something like this would be perfect for Front Street.

Carter:

I don't mind it in Bloomfield! I know East Hartford's Burnside Ice Company does make beers, too. If they want to expand -- maybe CENZ will get more business from Hooker.

JimS

There are plenty of places available downtown

1. 55 on the Park. Big space, outdoor dining availability. View of Bushnell Park

2. Trumbull Place. Ditto.

3. 38 and 50 Elm Street. Two older buildings with great views near plentiful parking.

4. American Airlines Building: right across from City Steam

5. Club Blu: it is time for them to go.

6. Corner of Capitol and Main (old Savannah's, Low Country, Cate's.

7. Colt Building.

There are plenty of places available downtown

1. 55 on the Park. Big space, outdoor dining availability. View of Bushnell Park

2. Trumbull Place. Ditto.

3. 38 and 50 Elm Street. Two older buildings with great views near plentiful parking.

4. American Airlines Building: right across from City Steam

5. Club Blu: it is time for them to go.

6. Corner of Capitol and Main (old Savannah's, Low Country, Cate's.

7. Colt Building.

I think you have the wrong idea of what the brewery entails. Although the Advocate doesn't mention it, I read a similar story in the Hartford Business Journal, which says that in Connecticut, you can't be a distribution brewery and a brew pub. So, there is no chance there will be outdoor dining at the brewing facility. The owner does want to make the brewery a destination, which would be great for Hartford, just not as a dining facility- which would fit best in most of the places you mentioned. I like the Colt building idea, though.

It was in the old Spaghetti Warehouse building. That used to be a good place, but I guess was horribly managed. They should revive the concept at Front St.

Same place on Bartholemew, there is the old Spaghetti Warehouse then in back of the bulding another warehouse that is now the brewery. I'm not sure I like the Front Street idea, it's not going to be a brewpub but more of a brewhouse that probably gives tours/samples. Think Harpoon or Sam Adams in Boston. I like the idea of the Colt Complex that seems like a great location. They need that warehouse feel, even capewell would be a cool choice. There are many abonded warehouse are there in Hartford that could be good choices...

More brilliant laws by our anti-business legislature.

I'm sure that is the result of some special interest lobbying, An anti-compettive law like that has to have been a politcal favor to stop potenial competitors of a big donor.

That is a stupid law. I was definitely picturing something like a restaurant/bar in a brewery with tours. Kinda like Red Hook in Portsmouth. Something like that would work well in Front St.

Maybe they can change the law in a hurry...

I'm all for this being in Hartford, but it doesn't need to be in downtown. What about putting it on 12B? I would assume it would be a fairly large facility. And why not put the pub on the same site but in a different building? Maybe another tenant to make the site mix use. Would be great visibility from both Highways.

More brilliant laws by our anti-business legislature.

I'm sure that is the result of some special interest lobbying, An anti-compettive law like that has to have been a politcal favor to stop potenial competitors of a big donor.

Only CT would have these kinds of stupid laws. :rolleyes:

Breweries can get around the law by having the brewery technically owned by one person and the attached restaurant by someone else. It's a bit of a pain, but it does work. That's what Trout Brook had before. The restaurant wasn't doing well and it was closed. I believe the current Trout Brook/Thomas Hooker owners actually don't want to have a restaurant, just a much bigger brewery in a cheap warehouse-type space, which they would own. That limits their location possibilities somewhat, to more fringe and non-downtown areas.

Breweries can get around the law by having the brewery technically owned by one person and the attached restaurant by someone else. It's a bit of a pain, but it does work. That's what Trout Brook had before. The restaurant wasn't doing well and it was closed. I believe the current Trout Brook/Thomas Hooker owners actually don't want to have a restaurant, just a much bigger brewery in a cheap warehouse-type space, which they would own. That limits their location possibilities somewhat, to more fringe and non-downtown areas.

That's probably how Hops on the Berlin Turnpike operates...

Archived