Hartford Skyline Going Colorful

grock

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Check out an amazing picture in the Sept. issue of Hartford Magazine. There is a picture of what the skyline will look like when they light it up. It is so cool. I wish I had a scanner so I could post the pic.

Can someone please scan this if you can. I am out of state and don't have access to the magazine.

I saw this in Hartford mag last night after reading about it here. It looks pretty cool. I can't wait until this happens. I couldn't take the copy I was reading otherwise I would have scanned the pix myself.

Can you explain how it will look? What are the major differences?

Can you explain how it will look? What are the major differences?

There are spotlights going into the sky everywhere around Bushnell Park, they showed the Hartford logo and the GLO logo on the side of Marriott, also I think some other corporate logos being projected onto buildings. It looks very bold by Hartford standards and will be sure to get us a lot of attention, at least around the region.

Htd1.jpg

Htd2.jpg

My only issue I have with the lighting scheme is that most of the buildings are still dark...look at Cityplace for example - let's light up the top of it. I'd almost rather they focus on lighting up the individual buildings rather than thrusting so many spotlights into the air. Overall though, I think this is a fantastic idea and I can't wait to see it in person as well.

ON EDIT: I should specify the top of the buildings are still dark (CityPlace, Goodwin Sq., Cigna), and I wish that could be changed.

Htd1.jpg

Htd2.jpg

My only issue I have with the lighting scheme is that most of the buildings are still dark...look at Cityplace for example - let's light up the top of it. I'd almost rather they focus on lighting up the individual buildings rather than thrusting so many spotlights into the air. Overall though, I think this is a fantastic idea and I can't wait to see it in person as well.

ON EDIT: I should specify the top of the buildings are still dark (CityPlace, Goodwin Sq., Cigna), and I wish that could be changed.

i agree i think the tops should b lit so they can atleast see our buildings, its great they want to add lights and ull b able to see it from miles away now

i agree i think the tops should b lit so they can atleast see our buildings, its great they want to add lights and ull b able to see it from miles away now

What is this plan? Is this intended to be a permanent fixture or just a one time event?

Although I agree it would look cool, the Traveler's Tower already puts out enough light pollution for one small city.

So, I finally got to read that issue today, not only did it have those photos, but a nice article on Larry G and his vision for the city. This guy showed up about 5 years too late. In my estimation, he could have stemmed a lot of the problems that the city currently has if he had initiated his plans 5 years earlier. Better late than never, and I have a ton of faith in this guy.

That looks really gaudy....

I'm with you. From the photos this looks tacky to me. I think the idea has merit but the execution leaves a lot to be desired. A much more classy approach would be to light up the skyline at night by use of stationary flood lights to shine up at the major downtown skyscrapers.

Spotlights that spin downtown is a bad idea as I liken it to a used car dealership trying to attract customers. Hartford deserves better than a Vegas sideshow. It just doesn't jive with the true character of the city.

It's great that they are doing something instead of nothing. No everyone will like it, and thousands of people will think they have a better idea, but it is a creative use of light and should be interesting to look at.

That's sums up my feelings, and it's not like it's permanent at all. It's only light, it can be altered and modified to please most people.

Archived