"Other cities"

TheGerbil

I have noticed that a lot of people (particularly suburbanite letter writers complaining about their latest trip into town) like to compare us to "other cities." The following is a list of the amazing amenities available in these mysterious "other cities":

-There is always a cab readily available, you never ever have to call for one or wait.

-There are numerous free activies every day (although no one seems to be able to specify what they are).

-Famous bands play on the street just for people's amusement on a regular basis.

-There is an endless supply of fun night-life and you never have to go to the same place twice.

-There are young single people coming out of every crevice.

-There is no litter and you never see homeless people.

-The public transportation is perfect and the buses never show up late. You can get anywhere without transferring and the fare is cheap.

-You can get a good job instantly and it will pay really well.

I sure would like to know where these magical "other cities" are!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was in Saint Louis recently. Pittsburgh is so far ahead of the game. There are few shops downtown there. There are numerous "trendy" restaurants but not one pharmacy. I was looking for one. Never found one. There was 1 lone Starbucks. This surprised me because Pittsburgh is supposed to be the poster child for run down abandoned old cities. In Saint Louis there were block after block of abandoned or demolished houses right outside of downtown.

Over the last few years I have been to Cleveland, Columbus, Detroit, Buffalo and Nashville. There is a cohesion in Pittsburgh that I have not found in any of these places. There is something organic in the way Pittsburgh is developing, or redeveloping.

A friend of mine from Hartford who's getting his masters at Carnegie Mellon says Pittsburgh is great and a that we can learn a lot from you guys. So people from cities that are not where you guys are yet do understand reality and realize that Pittsburgh is great city. Sure I wanted to take the Pens, but that's nothing agaist Pittsburgh!

• 1 year later...
I have noticed that a lot of people (particularly suburbanite letter writers complaining about their latest trip into town) like to compare us to "other cities." The following is a list of the amazing amenities available in these mysterious "other cities":

-There is always a cab readily available, you never ever have to call for one or wait.

-There are numerous free activies every day (although no one seems to be able to specify what they are).

-Famous bands play on the street just for people's amusement on a regular basis.

-There is an endless supply of fun night-life and you never have to go to the same place twice.

-The public transportation is perfect and the buses never show up late. You can get anywhere without transferring and the fare is cheap.

• 1 month later...
With all due respect, I disagree with the notion that cities with the aforementioned traits don't exist. Asides from the "no litter and you never see homeless people" part, I'd say New York certainly meets all the other criterea. Asides from NYC, Chicago, Boston, Philly, San Francisco fit the bill. All that said, you really can't compare Pittsburgh with those cities since they're all a lot bigger. Pittsburgh is definitely better off than Cleveland, Cincy, St. Louis, and a lot of the "peer" cities. The big difference is that, while Pgh has suffered more severe population decline than those cities, it hasn't devolved into a dangerous ghetto the way parts of those cities have become (particularly Cleveland and St. Louis). The "danger" (and more so, the fear thereof) causes suburbanites to not venture into the city for activities and for those who can afford to live in the city to move out. Meanwhile, while Pgh overall has declined in population, there are many thriving and successful middle to upper middle class neighborhoods like Squirrel Hill and Shadyside.

• 1 month later...

I visited Pittsburgh several years ago and felt "at home". It reminded me of the city I grew up in, Grand Rapids, Michigan. Check it out un UP sometime. Our hills on either side of the river (Grand River) are not as steep and you have to get a bit out of downtown to see the hills rise on the West side. But, a great downtown (still needing a lot of work) and neighborhoods just seemed sort of like to Pitt to me - a comfortable place to be. Lots of beautiful old architecture mixed in with the new.

Archived