City Hall Site

cdude9409

:thumbsup: Six to seven story mixed-use building with hotel anchoring it. Brand of hotel still undecided. Hotel to have 130-150 rooms and be T shaped. Also, it is going to include 50,000 to 60,000 square feet of office space, about 15,000 square feet of retail space, and a 200-space parking garage. I wish it would have been taller than 6-7 stories though.

More info: http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....SINESS/61003005

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe the hotel and all components will be incorporated into the single "T" shaped building. Architectural design will be the key for me. Until I see the plans and/or renderings, the jury remains out on whether it will be best for that site. Sounds quite promising though. :thumbsup:

Yes, your right Skyliner. The hotel and the rest of the office and retail space will be incorporated into the 6-7 story building. The reason i'm saying that is because the article says "anchored hotel" instead of "attached hotel." I was really hoping for something 15+ stories though. Oh well, can't wait to see the renderings for it. :)

I was sort of disappointed to read the "6-7 stories" part, but after thinking about it I realized that it will add nice mid-rise density to an area that currently has nothing of value. It is a win in my book.

I also bet that there are two reasons why it isn't taller:

1. They are concerned that the demand exists for a 10-20 story building, in terms of hotel space and office space

2. They want it to "fit in with the surroundings." Someone probably mentioned the height of the Peace Center and the height of City Hall, and someone else probably noted that it wouldn't be good for the building to "stand out" too much. :lol:

Seriously, I will take it and feel that it continues the construction of quality, dense developments downtown. :thumbsup:

I was sort of disappointed to read the "6-7 stories" part, but after thinking about it I realized that it will add nice mid-rise density to an area that currently has nothing of value. It is a win in my book.

Seriously, I will take it and feel that it continues the construction of quality, dense developments downtown. :thumbsup:

More density for South Main is great and it will help continue the activity down Main Street and up Broad Street to the shops of Poinsett Corners.

At least this shows that the Greenville market can sustain more hotel rooms, which demonstrates that the city, and particularly downtown, is becoming more of a destination. If the numbers didn't work in this regard, it wouldn't have even been proposed, much less approved.

I'm super excited about seeing the design. I hope it's classy, modern, and timeless. 6 stories isn't so bad, imagine the addition to the urban fabric of downtown. I can't wait, I won't hide my excitement or wish for something better (until I see the design atleast). :yahoo:

wait a minute..."T" shaped...are you freakin' kidding me, i can't imagine how this is going to look good....what is this the Teen Titans' headquarters....give me break, somebody needs to rethink this one...are they trying to match the ridiculousness and utter repulsion of the Greenville News building? Sorry......try again

wait a minute..."T" shaped...are you freakin' kidding me, i can't imagine how this is going to look good....what is this the Teen Titans' headquarters....give me break, somebody needs to rethink this one...are they trying to match the ridiculousness and utter repulsion of the Greenville News building? Sorry......try again

The property is in a "T" shape, so the building would be as well.

BS44126103.GIF

I'm sure T-shaped refers to the footprint of the building, not the design.

I was hoping for a few more stories as well. Also, it sounds like the retail space will be mostly restaurant space. This was an excellent chance to get some decent retail space DT. That is needed far more than yet another restaurant.

I noticed that the residential component is gone too. Maybe, it will be added back and that would add a few more floors.

This will be an improvement no doubt, but I was hoping and expecting a little more. I hope a great design will raise my enthusiasm some.

This project and the Woolworth property were the best shots are getting a major anchor for DT. Hopefully, the Woolworth/BofA will come through on that front.

Why all the yawns? Would you guys rather have a bland concrete plaza (park?) that contributes nothing to the urban fabric?

No, but I certainly would have expected more for this piece of property.

The property is in a "T" shape, so the building would be as well.

BS44126103.GIF

If the building is 6-7 stories and has a massive enough footprint to fill up that entire space, it might not be so bad, especially considering a 200 space parking garage underneath it all. I'm still not overly impressed by this though. I would have preferred 6-7 floors of parking/retail/office space at the base and another 6-7 of hotel towering above it. :thumbsup:

I'm surprised the DPC didn't have something to say about the fire station. :rolleyes:

I must say that I'd prefer to see something in line with the Westin or Hyatt ... perhaps a Mariott for the Hotel Brand. I suppose we'll just have to sit back and wait and see what brand is chosen. It's always nice to see "financing isn't a problem" in an article about a new development though. :thumbsup:

A mid range hotel on this property will mean that downtown will have 3 mid range hotels (Holiday Inn, Hampton Inn and this) + three higher end (Westin, Hyatt, Peacock). That's good.

I'm more concerned with the star rating of the new hotel that would occupy the city hall plaza, not the name. If I'm not mistaken, the Hampton Inn is a 4 star hotel. I don't know if I would lump them into the mid range category.

I'm more concerned with the star rating of the new hotel that would occupy the city hall plaza, not the name. If I'm not mistaken, the Hampton Inn is a 4 star hotel. I don't know if I would lump them into the mid range category.

Where do you see it's a 4 star hotel? The Hampton Inn website lists the Haywood and Woodruff Road HI's as 3 star, but no desgination for the Riverplace one.

http://hamptoninn.hilton.com/en/hp/hotels/...results.jhtml.4

**YAWN**

I agree. I have sent emails out to people who are with this project to see if the height of the building might change after they make changes to it and after it goes through the city council and DPC. I have also sent out emails to people asking if the building is going to be T-shaped or just the footprint. When I get an answer, I will let you guys know ASAP.

I'll wait to get interested in this. All we have at the moment is an approval, nothing else. No hotel has signed up, no shops have signed up, etc.

I'm more interested in Piazza de Bergamo designs

Speaking of this. Did anybody see the design for Piazza Bergamo last night on WYFF? To me, it looked very nice. It's going to include green space (looked more than before after seeing the rendering), italian-style fountains, italian-style bricks, etc.

Archived