City Hall Site

cdude9409

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is true, but Greenville, like several other Southern cities (even those with a large number of highrises like Charlotte and Atlanta) still have lots more land to build on without having to go seriously vertical. The geography of the typical Southern city doesn't demand highrises. The South Financial campus provides a good example of this. They have the room to build a sprawling campus (land that was specially designated as such at that), and it's obviously cheaper for them to do so. For most Southern cities, towers serve more of an iconic purpose than an efficiency purpose.

True- and Greenville has lots of land to build on downtown and doesn't have companies that absolutely have to have high-rises because the city hasn't done a very good job recruiting major corporations lately. Look at the city's economic development in the past decade- how many large companies has it recruited? Or even worse, how many companies that are absorbing large amounts (e.g., several hundred thousand square feet per year) of office space are home-grown?

Basically, Greenville's skyline reflects its lack of Fortune 500 corporate headquarters buildings and other big office space users.

Yes, BMW has come not too long ago, but that's a factory, not an office building, and South Financial is building, but SF is taking just a few hundred thousand square feet of space over a long period of time.

This is true, but Greenville, like several other Southern cities (even those with a large number of highrises like Charlotte and Atlanta) still have lots more land to build on without having to go seriously vertical. The geography of the typical Southern city doesn't demand highrises. The South Financial campus provides a good example of this. They have the room to build a sprawling campus (land that was specially designated as such at that), and it's obviously cheaper for them to do so. For most Southern cities, towers serve more of an iconic purpose than an efficiency purpose.

Just as you are optimistic about the development of cities elsewhere, I am equally as optimistic about the future of Greenville, a city clearly on the move upward, with or without the addition of new highrises. They will come, whether or not anyone else thinks they should.

Just as you are optimistic about the development of cities elsewhere, I am equally as optimistic about the future of Greenville, a city clearly on the move upward, with or without the addition of new highrises. They will come, whether or not anyone else thinks they should.

I wasn't expressing pessimism over the future of Greenville at all, and if you took my post as such, you were totally misunderstanding what I was getting at. I have no doubt that the highrises that many of you desire for Greenville will come with time (I myself was lamenting the fact that South Financial wasn't building one). I was merely stating the purpose that most highrises have in the typical Southern city, which really don't have much to do with maximizing the efficiency of land since most Southern cities have plenty of land to go around. I believe that when a developer who a) has a desire to build a significant highrise; b) can make the numbers work in his/her favor; and c) has the cooperation and approval of city leaders, then you'll see it happen; I think it's really just as simple as that.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

More talk about putting the council chambers on the ground floor... So I guess this totally rules out any possibility that City Hall would ever move any time soon. And it also takes out some space that could potentially be for retail. BUT, maybe this can push for some really awesome 2 story retail spots to maximize space. That would be a neat experience if designed correctly. :shades: Hopefully this won't change the exterior renderings of the project and therefore they can release those soon...

Although I wouldn't be totally thrilled with the idea, one thought I had the other day was that the City could relocate to the soon-to-be empty (if not nearly so now) Bowater office building, which is positioned conveniently next to Falls Park on the Reedy. I would oppose such a move, simply for the fact that it is not a central location (on Main Street), and would take away much of the vibrancy City Hall currently breathes into Main Street. Then again, having nearly all of the ground floor space open for retail and restaurnat in the new development at Main and Broad would breathe additional life into that area.

Although I wouldn't be totally thrilled with the idea, one thought I had the other day was that the City could relocate to the soon-to-be empty (if not nearly so now) Bowater office building, which is positioned conveniently next to Falls Park on the Reedy. I would oppose such a move, simply for the fact that it is not a central location (on Main Street), and would take away much of the vibrancy City Hall currently breathes into Main Street. Then again, having nearly all of the ground floor space open for retail and restaurnat in the new development at Main and Broad would breathe additional life into that area.

Actually, that's a fairly good idea. It's next to a nice sized parking deck, but it would need a nice council chamber. It's certainly a better looking building than the present City Hall. And the present giant file cabinet could be converted into office space/retail/ residential, etc.

Anyone think it would be pretty cool (or pheasable) to turn the current Bowater building into some affordable appts, condos, with some retail on the ground level. It is already an attractive building with parking, and oficces could be converted easily enough.

Also, if a new chambers is built, what would become of the current city hall?

"one thought I had the other day was that the City could relocate to the soon-to-be empty (if not nearly so now) Bowater office building"

The Bowater building empty? That's news to me. Of the 200 currently in the building, about half will remain after the merger to oversea regional manufacturing and sales. I haven't heard that they have any plans to vacate the building, only downsize as the headquarters moves to Montreal.

If this building is emptied, you're right, it would be a gem for someone....the city or another company. Beautiful building.

I've been wondering about the setback for this project. I'd think that they would want to build as close to the street as possible to maximize their space, especially if the council chambers are on the ground floor. At the same time, the city is limiting their height and I could imagine them regulating their setback to coincide with the City Hall, Symphony Center, and the Old Family Court House.

I hope they don't. The Greenville News building, the Peace Center, and the parking lot on the northeast side limit the feeling of urbanity on this intersection. Thoughts?

Archived