City Hall Site

cdude9409

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

Just a update: The developers were at the DPC yesterday for preliminary comments and I was there and saw their presentation.

The building will be 7 stories tall and build in a T shape as discussed earlier.

The building will extend the entire length of the block facing the Peace center.

The hotel will be a Marriott court yard.

The hotel lobby entrance will be in middle of the block facing the Peace center, from there to main street will be retail and restaurant space, on the main street level.

Developers stated that they were close to having a deal with a big name restaurant for the main street space.

On main street their will be a open court yard between the new building and city hall which will contain a water wall, public bathrooms and can be convert to a small ice ring.

The court yard would be owned by the city and developed with the city.

Demo may start late summer or fall according to developers.

Nothing has formerly presented or been approved by the DPC so far.

This one appears to be on its way to being started!

Great info! Thanks Trey.

I must say, it may sound silly, but having public restrooms is really exciting. This is such a progressive European direction. With the amount of tourist in town now, this will mean people can actually relieve themselves without having to go through a restaurant or store. Smart thinking. :thumbsup:

This all sounds great! I especially love the courtyard with the water wall/ice rink/public restroom.

I have to second that notion on the public restrooms. In my humble opinion, this is something that is seriously missing from RiverPlace. You have to get a key from Starbucks to use the quasi-public restroom in the office building there. The public restroom at Falls Park/Falls Place behind the Overlook Grill is always too crowded, too. Public restroom space is a must-have in any new project downtown.

WOW! Very, very, very nice. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Reminds me of a Courtyard in the I Street area in DC. To be only seven floors, this thing makes some serious impact.

The curved middle section seems to mimic Peace Center slightly and the ends seem very "Riverplace". Love it.

Things I really like about this project:

1. The entrance to the hotel will be on Broad, and NOT Main.

2. The top-to-bottom glass in the middle of the building. Gives it a very modern appeal and balances out the brick.

3. The curved "RiverPlace-style" design on the sides.

4. Street-level retail, which will hopefully increase pedestrian traffic along Broad.

5. The potential to get something going across the street at Main and Broad (currently a parking lot).

6. The momentum it will provide (we will likely have this, the 9-story Court Street condos, The Peacock Hotel and Spa, and Pinnacle on Main all going up at the same time).

7. It will likely be starting later this summer.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the DPC will be for this exactly as-is. :)

Things I really like about this project:

1. The entrance to the hotel will be on Broad, and NOT Main.

2. The top-to-bottom glass in the middle of the building. Gives it a very modern appeal and balances out the brick.

3. The curved "RiverPlace-style" design on the sides.

4. Street-level retail, which will hopefully increase pedestrian traffic along Broad.

5. The potential to get something going across the street at Main and Broad (currently a parking lot).

6. The momentum it will provide (we will likely have this, the 9-story Court Street condos, The Peacock Hotel and Spa, and Pinnacle on Main all going up at the same time).

7. It will likely be starting later this summer.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the DPC will be for this exactly as-is. :)

An excellent list, to which I would add...

8. A significant and unique public space

9. The way the curved glass in the middle, echos the curve in the Peace Center design.

10. Balconies that will overlook Main Street.

One idea I had was to turn one of the three roftops (or more than one) into a Tennis Court. Imagine the hotel guests playing tennis with the skylne as the 360 degree backdrop. The space isn't being used anyway.

The only negative about a tennis court would be the need for some form of "fencing" that might be visible from below. In that case, it would look less desirable. I do like the idea though. Perhaps a pool and health club would be better?

I remember proposals about a seasonal ice rink at Piazza de Bergamo, glad that the City Hall space will have one. I believe the City Hall plaza was created for the Bicentennial, but afterwards nothing really was done with it and it became essentially the smoke break section of City Hall.

I do hope the Bicentennial elements: flags and plaques, can be preserved somehow.

Archived