[Lexington] New development updates

seicer

Urban housing lures a limited variety of buyers

Didn't I say that this was the case with these projects two weeks ago? That there was no place for families in the downtown mix. Families cannot buy in these projects even if the want to because of size and price concerns. That does not mean that families don't want to live downtown. European families have been doing it for centuries, in loft style housing, in entire city blocks.

The single young professionals who buy now will move out when the start to have kids. They may be replaced by empty-nesters, or renters but they will lament the fact that the downtown that they want to be part of is beyond their reach until they too become the empty-nesters. My question is "Why can't they live downtown for the full cycle?" and it's not because there aren't any buyers of family units, it's that there aren't any family units to buy.

I find it amusing to note that this article appeared just prior to the Fourth of July celebration. I feel that this was a planted article to take advantage of the celebration of liberty, when many families will be coming into downtown for the festivities, finding a lack of parking, a lack of affordable dining, a quick swing through the junk sellers and a lusting at the city dwellers on their balconies, then back to suburbia, knowing that they can never live downtown until the kids leave home.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the developer, Main+Rose is expected to have a small urban grocery. Judging by the plat, that "small" grocery store should be 10,000-15,000 sq. ft.? No need for a super center :)

A full-fledged grocery store (probably Kroger's) was wanting to sign on IF Main Street was two-way, but since that has been tabled, the chain pulled out.

From the developer, Main+Rose is expected to have a small urban grocery. Judging by the plat, that "small" grocery store should be 10,000-15,000 sq. ft.? No need for a super center :)

A full-fledged grocery store (probably Kroger's) was wanting to sign on IF Main Street was two-way, but since that has been tabled, the chain pulled out.

Archived