Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mpchicago

10 Ionia Development

81 posts in this topic

I know we have talked about this property before, but I don't think I have ever heard anything official from Hinman. Anyway here it is on their website.

Hinman's got the coolest logo around... sorry just had to say.

Hinman's got the coolest logo around... sorry just had to say.

If I'm not mistaken, that's 77 Monroe Center on that logo?

Right you are... so is this little link a "proposal" or just "if you bought this property look what you could put up!"

The arial photo isn't THAT old, they're working on the art museum.. I figured this was a way old project.

which way is that building facing???

I think the flat section with the sun reflection is facing West along Ionia Ave.

The building, though nice looking, seems a bit bland to me as. Also its a little too 'burb office park-esque. I can go to any office park in the US and point out this building. It would also feel quite at home sitting in the Urban Renewal area. What should go there is somthing more urban along the lines of something ultramodern or maybe a hip "old innercity factory converted to hip offices" look. Atleast put some degree of energy in the design as the whole area with the Arena and the Bob is overflowing with energy.

So this rendering gets a 2 out of five stars out of me. Nice try but better luck next time.

The building, though nice looking, seems a bit bland to me as. Also its a little too 'burb office park-esque. I can go to any office park in the US and point out this building. It would also feel quite at home sitting in the Urban Renewal area. What should go there is somthing more urban along the lines of something ultramodern or maybe a hip "old innercity factory converted to hip offices" look. Atleast put some degree of energy in the design as the whole area with the Arena and the Bob is overflowing with energy.

So this rendering gets a 2 out of five stars out of me. Nice try but better luck next time.

This is probably a "proof of concept," probably something Joe was talking about when Hinman had the idea of putting a tower up there years ago. I wouldn't be suprised if this is what they had in mine back in the late 90s.

This is probably a "proof of concept," probably something Joe was talking about when Hinman had the idea of putting a tower up there a few years ago. I wouldn't be suprised if this is what they had in mine back in the early mid 90s.

You may be right that they just dusted it off and pulled it out to see if anyone would bite. I checked and it's not on the CARWM site.

Looks VERY much like a couple of buildings orginally called the Columbia Center over in Troy. They are also red. And very 'burb-ish. Not a lot of character.

You can the shape from this satellite shot:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...mp;t=h&om=1

Doh!

TR-201wbigb.jpg

I knew I had seen that design before. Even the light fixtures in the plaza are the same.

http://www.performanceengineering.com/show...ges/job13_1.jpg

Designed by Yamasaki

That would make sense. Yamasaki does most of Hinmans design work. They designed a strip mall they are building right now in K-Zoo and they designed a new office building at Westnage and I-94 for Hinman.

So it is a real building located in a suburban office park in a suburb of Detroit. Know wonder it's too 'burb-esque' to me. :D

I was surprised to see that these buildings are a Minoru Yamasaki design. They were build after he died, so I don't know if he was personally involved, but I expect better from his firm, especially since their office is right across the street!

They were build after he died, so I don't know if he was personally involved.....

:lol: I know what you were trying to say but it sounds funny none the less............

"Future development site of 150,000 - 300,000 sf high rise office tower in downtown Grand Rapids, MI."

Ha! Yeah right!

When you have people out there ripping up the lot, then get back to us.

All you have to do is look a few yards to the east to see the last group of clowns with a website and a fancy drawing, and how well their project turned out.

I dont doubt Hinman's ability to complete a project like this, if they found a tenant. I'm glad they answered the question about whether they would build something on that corner.

I dont doubt Hinman's ability to complete a project like this, if they found a tenant. I'm glad they answered the question about whether they would build something on that corner.

I am a bit disappointed they didn't go with my rendering :rofl: :

136954678_c6e9ad9824_o.jpg

I'd imagine if they do this, they'll build a ramp next door where their current ramp is (by the cop shop)?

So is anyone seeing this as a proposed development or just a company sparking renewed interest in the property in light of what has been going on?

I think this is just a lame attempt at drumming up a little buzz considering all interest in downtown right now. I can't imagine that they would seriously try to fit this 1990's suburban building on to that property. I'm sure they are just putting their feelers out. Good catch in finding that building in Troy. :rofl:

I agree. I would love to see a building there, and next door where that stupid Louis Benton parking garage is.