10 Ionia Development

mpchicago

The difference here being that Hinman has the money and already is committed to the developing the downtown core in both GR and KZoo.

Joe

"Future development site of 150,000 - 300,000 sf high rise office tower in downtown Grand Rapids, MI."

Ha! Yeah right!

When you have people out there ripping up the lot, then get back to us.

All you have to do is look a few yards to the east to see the last group of clowns with a website and a fancy drawing, and how well their project turned out.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hinman owns that lot too. I'm sure that if something were actually done, that ugly lot would be used for parking.

As I said a long time ago, I heard about this project from Roger Hinman himself probably 5-6 years ago. I think if they got the right tenant something would be built in a heartbeat. And I'm sure it would be something less suburban than the rendering. I think the height of the building is about what he told me. 10-15 stories?

Joe

I agree. I would love to see a building there, and next door where that stupid Louis Benton parking garage is.

Hinman owns that lot too. I'm sure that if something were actually done, that ugly lot would be used for parking.

As I said a long time ago, I heard about this project from Roger Hinman himself probably 5-6 years ago. I think if they got the right tenant something would be built in a heartbeat. And I'm sure it would be something less suburban than the rendering. I think the height of the building is about what he told me. 10-15 stories?

Joe

Just curious as to what other examples of this Developer's work exists in or near DT.

"Future development site of 150,000 - 300,000 sf high rise office tower in downtown Grand Rapids, MI."

Ha! Yeah right!

When you have people out there ripping up the lot, then get back to us.

All you have to do is look a few yards to the east to see the last group of clowns with a website and a fancy drawing, and how well their project turned out.

The city center ramp was coming down regardless of whether the development went ahead.

Isn't he talking about the 14 story Tol Park Place, I mean the 6 story JA building, er, the renovated JA building, um, I mean nothing?

Wow - so i'm guessing from your post you must have some sort of inside knowledge as to what is going on behind the scenes so you know that nothing is happening?

Isn't he talking about the 14 story Tol Park Place, I mean the 6 story JA building, er, the renovated JA building, um, I mean nothing?

He could be, but I took it as "The last time someone ripped up a parkinglot nothing has happened so far" i.e. City Center

A little defensive?

Not really - but after reading for a year on this board that River House must have been dead because nobody saw anything going on, maybe a little defensive for the whole industry. A majority of things go on behind the scenes in this industry - not just the actual building of a building. And a lot of times there are things we can't talk about. When there's silence don't take it as a sign that something is dead in the water. Just saying.

The building, though nice looking, seems a bit bland to me as. Also its a little too 'burb office park-esque. I can go to any office park in the US and point out this building. It would also feel quite at home sitting in the Urban Renewal area. What should go there is somthing more urban along the lines of something ultramodern or maybe a hip "old innercity factory converted to hip offices" look. Atleast put some degree of energy in the design as the whole area with the Arena and the Bob is overflowing with energy.

So this rendering gets a 2 out of five stars out of me. Nice try but better luck next time.

If I'm not mistaken, the building in the picture looks an awful lot like a pair of buildings on Big Beaver Rd. in Troy. Think its called Columbia Center East and West. Find it on Emporis.

GRUrbanist sure has a knack for pushing people's buttons. <_<

It does appear as though the JA project has stalled, but it may be just a break in the work, or it all may be interior mechanical work or something.

Now, now people. I am talking mostly about the Park Place project that started as a 10 story(?) building then transformed into a six story renovation then became a two story makeover project which has turned the JA building into Swiss cheese. Classic example of big talk small delivery

I've watch many projects go from fancy drawings, and press releases to empty lots and "its on hold" statements. This one just looked like another textbook case. So I honestly will be skeptical until they start to turn some dirt.

GRDadof, I don

Now, now people. I am talking mostly about the Park Place project that started as a 10 story(?) building then transformed into a six story renovation then became a two story makeover project which has turned the JA building into Swiss cheese. Classic example of big talk small delivery

This is totally incorrect. You are talking about two totally separate projects. The parking lot to the east of the JA building (the concept "Park Place") and the JA building are two totally different projects.

Now, back to the topic at hand...

Yes, if we could...

Hinman also owns the (old) Michigan National Bank Building (I wish they'd give it a good name as I can never remember the address). The company also owns a lot of buildings in downtown K-Zoo, and operated a lot of the bars/restaurants.

Joe

This is totally incorrect. You are talking about two totally separate projects. The parking lot to the east of the JA building (the concept "Park Place") and the JA building are two totally different projects.

Now, back to the topic at hand...

Archived