10 Ionia Development

mpchicago

I wonder if Hinman is just sitting on the property waiting for the right fish to bite. In other words, "Show me the money and its yours."

That's not the development I like, its too reactive for my tastes, plus there seems like quite a few land-holders downtown that are just content to do the same. I'd much prefer to see some more proactive developers within the city willing to take the chance and forge ahead.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, that explains why Two Choppers was closed when I tried to go in yesterday. I thought I was going crazy when I look at their hours and my watch.

I agree about the reactionary developers. But if they're looking for an office tower, maybe the best thing for right now is to wait. There's still a lot of unused office space downtown right now, isn't there? And the fact that they care enough to show what could be there, shows that they do want to do something with it... it's just when the right time is.

• 3 months later...

When I was downtown this afternoon, I saw some activity on this site. There was a crew with two drilling trucks, taking what looked like core samples this afternoon. Maybe something is going to happen with this site? Has anyone heard or know anything that they can share?

When I was downtown this afternoon, I saw some activity on this site. There was a crew with two drilling trucks, taking what looked like core samples this afternoon. Maybe something is going to happen with this site? Has anyone heard or know anything that they can share?

How to name a downtown business:

"The Quadrilateral," sounds too high school... so we won't be able to sell alcohol there.

"The Lateral," getting there, still sounds too -- English. Still needs that foreign...

"The Dril Atera" Almost...

"The Ater

Usually technicians operating out of trucks will have billboards, either on the side of the trucks or on their caps/jackets. It's perfectly legit to ask for a card. "I see you're taking soil samples, and I've been looking for someone to do that in my backyard near the UST."

Often the company can be looked up and the activity can then be determined.

What would the definition of "more than a longshot" be? Seems to me that if you got one sizable tenant to sign up with the footprint of each floor and you could fill 4-5 floors pretty quickly. Remember also that Hinman owns a lot of big Suburban office buildings. It seems like they would be an ideal candidate if a growing company was outgrowing their space and could be convinced to re-locate downtown.

Does that mean it would be less than "more than a longshot"?

Joe

It would be nice to see something built there, however Hinman is just suggesting something like that to show what could be done. They'd need at least an anchor tennant. Something tells me that's more than a long shot.

What would the definition of "more than a longshot" be? Seems to me that if you got one sizable tenant to sign up with the footprint of each floor and you could fill 4-5 floors pretty quickly. Remember also that Hinman owns a lot of big Suburban office buildings. It seems like they would be an ideal candidate if a growing company was outgrowing their space and could be convinced to re-locate downtown.

Does that mean it would be less than "more than a longshot"?

Joe

Archived