Downtown Raleigh Alliance

IBruton

In just a little over a year the Downtown Raleigh Alliance has lost 2 leaders. I had a feeling Hormann would be leaving and it will be interesting to see if she makes the same critiques as Margaret Mullen did when she left. I have to wonder about the viability of this organization.

Its also interesting that both left because their husbands got new jobs in Arizona.

Story

This is just my opinion, but Dan I think you would be excellent for this job, Raleigh could use a outspoken LEADER right now. :)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, this sucks. I really liked her. Hopefully they can find someone with her vision and enthusiasm. We need real boosters.

The Phoenix thing is kind of funny..Is there some new migration pattern? It used to be north to south, now it's south to southwest?

I was just in Phoenix and was told that 400 people move there every day where I have heard that Raleigh/Triangle is 64 a day. There is talk that in 15 years, it will be a top 2 city in the US.

I drove for a while and they were building developments that were like small towns. It blows our development away. I can not say it is the healthiest growth and their DT is really lacking compared to a city its size, but you have to figure that the concrete guy is making a fortune !!

I was not really impressed when she first got here but the more I read, the more I liked and I think it is a great loss. I think she adjusted well and quick.

Now they want someone local. Who ever it is needs to have an infectious personality, smart urban thinker who can sale their point without POing everyone else and become a face in the community. Not sure.

I think the whole "it takes so much to move forward" issues of Raleigh government is the biggest problem.

I was not really impressed when she first got here but the more I read, the more I liked and I think it is a great loss. I think she adjusted well and quick.

Now they want someone local. Who ever it is needs to have an infectious personality, smart urban thinker who can sale their point without POing everyone else and become a face in the community. Not sure.

I think the whole "it takes so much to move forward" issues of Raleigh government is the biggest problem.

I didn't see the interview, but someone told me Nancy basically had the same departing comments as Margaret Mullen...the city has potential but some REAL changes need to be made in city government for that potential to be met.

We can't get out of our own way apparently.

• 3 months later...

I was downtown Raleigh yesterday at Sosta (which I happened to like a lot) and heard some folks from the DRA talking about Hormann's successor (a little eavesdropping). They are currently looking at some high profile development people for this post. Should know who it is in the next couple of weeks.

• 4 weeks later...

DRA's Nancy Horman: still to hard to open small businesses in DT. This is one of those areas that we don't see in the public, but it has a real effect on the "little guy." Simplifying permiting and removing the off-street parking requirements are two issues that could really help small business owners.

Also, a nationwide search is being conducted for her replacement.

I was downtown Raleigh yesterday at Sosta (which I happened to like a lot) and heard some folks from the DRA talking about Hormann's successor (a little eavesdropping). They are currently looking at some high profile development people for this post. Should know who it is in the next couple of weeks.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Where does DRA gets it funding...I know some comes form the extra property tax downtown property owners pay...is there any other? What guidelines are there for how DRA is to function? What is its mission as declared by who? Recruiting businesses? Cheerleading for downtown? Implementing or porposing policy changes? I am not sure if its scope should be expanded to coordinate lots and lots of things under one roof, like say funneling all downtown events through them and all propomotional budget money, or reduce the scope to just cleaning and giving directions.....

Where does DRA gets it funding...I know some comes form the extra property tax downtown property owners pay...is there any other? What guidelines are there for how DRA is to function? What is its mission as declared by who? Recruiting businesses? Cheerleading for downtown? Implementing or porposing policy changes? I am not sure if its scope should be expanded to coordinate lots and lots of things under one roof, like say funneling all downtown events through them and all propomotional budget money, or reduce the scope to just cleaning and giving directions.....

Archived