Downtown Raleigh Alliance

IBruton

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Independent has a brief interview with the new director here: http://www.indyweek.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A154711

I like the fact that in Roanoke, they did the opposite of Charlotte---instead of tearing down everything and building nothing but new stuff, they focused on rehabbing older buildings. (Kinda like Durham.) Raleigh's sort of in-between, which is great, so I think it's a good fit in that regard.

The Independent has a brief interview with the new director here: http://www.indyweek.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A154711

I like the fact that in Roanoke, they did the opposite of Charlotte---instead of tearing down everything and building nothing but new stuff, they focused on rehabbing older buildings. (Kinda like Durham.) Raleigh's sort of in-between, which is great, so I think it's a good fit in that regard.

Some buildings in Raleigh need serious rehab. We definitely want to keep the early 20th century buildings in the CBD standing. Some of them are already undergoing renovation. We lost a good one in the early 90s, it'd be a shame if we lost more.

Gotto balance that with the demand for more new space. Luckily, we have an abundance of lots and trashy 1970s one-floors we could lose before we had to start cannibalizing existing highrises.

While I agree that rehabbing buildings is great and all, but it doesn't get you all that far in densifying the area further. I like the direction Raleigh is going with this, doing a little of everything. Rehabbing all the older buildings, in Raleigh's case, would mean a skyline that doesn't grow up, which results in less density and with Raleigh growing the way it is, would only further promote sprawl and suburbia.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

The city is evaluating whether to re-establish the BID (or MSD) tax district that funds the DRA. I attended the hearing last night and comments were mostly positive, though there were a few people in opposition... one was Octavia Rainey, who argued that downtown development (& the DRA by association) is not being 'culturally sensitive" or inclusive W/R/T the black community in bordering SE Raleigh.

One thing I noted was that the MSD funds will help fund programming for the city plaza, part of the operating costs for the downtown bus circulator, as well as more ambassadors.

SE Raleigh also does not pay (not in the district) any extra tax and hence does not pay for the DRA. On a related not, David Diaz came in to his new job talking up a funky downtown that emphasized historic rehab and local business. Now he talking up downtown arenas? What gives?Did a lobbyist get ahold of him?

Archived