Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cloudship

New Market in Downtown Worcester!

9 posts in this topic

I don't have a link, since it's on the Telegram's web site. But apparently Super 88 markets has annouced they are going to open up in the old Bancroft Motors building on Portland St. From what I hear it's a cross between an Asian market and a Whole Foods. I have not been to one myself, so I don't know what it is like. Anyone hear any more on this?

There's one (or was one back in the day when I lived there through the magic of Google I confirmed it's still there) across the Pike from New England Med. Ctr. (like near the Herald). Is there a large Asian community in Worcester? I've never been to the store, but they have a number of locations in and around Boston. Is this location pretty much downtown?

http://www.super88market.com/

They're owned out of Allston, nice to see a local chain expanding. From what I recall, when the Wallaston's on Tremont Street closed, Super 88 became the main grocery store for South Enders. I think it certainly caters to asians, but not so much so that you can't do your mainstream type of shopping there.

There's a decent sized community, but not too huge. There have been asian markets in the city before, but none of them seem to have been able to last. This one I guess is a lot more mainstream, and I think that will pull in a few more people. Still, as a location it isn't very accessible.

The location is very downtown. Next to the Library headed towards the center, its at most a block from Worcester Commons. It's also just up the street from Green Street, and the area they are trying to restore the canal in.

I have friends downtown Worcester and they are all excited, as there is currently no supermarket downtown. They also open an Asian restaurant in the 2nd floor of the building.

Oh boy. Another Asian restaurant.

Still, it will be interesting to see what happens. Either it is going to take off and help that area revitalize itself, or it is going to quickly be swallowed up by the economically depressed area just up the street and no one will dare go down there. I for one hope it succeed. Why has Whole Foods failed to open up a store around here anyway?

I was in Worcester yesterday and I was quite impressed with some changes. First of all, the 146 conector is finally almost completed and the bridges connecting the city neighborhoods are gorgeous. My favorite brownstone on Main Street was rehabbed and lights were on after being boarded up for years. The Hilton Garden was completed and sits right up to the street. Even the Pizzeria Uno chain was incorporated righ to the street level and looks very urban. Providence should use that as an example for its Power Block area. Chains can be done properly and tastefully placed in a city. Now only if they could get rid of that awful Honey Farms plaza across the street....There seemed to be a few more businesses downtown and less vacancies from my last visit. Question: What is going on behind the Garden Inn? What is going in at the site of the old Showcase downtown? The building was demolished and there were construction signs all over. Also, the Water Street area was full and there also seemed to be more cohesive businesses there than in the past. It looks like it's catering more to an entertainment/residential area than a hodgepodge of Laotian businesses,dive bars, and Polish delis. Overall, Worcester looks like its made some big improvements.

It has. Behind the Garden inn is the New Courthouse. Actually, I think the Courthouse is the big project, and the Hilton almost a secondary one to it! They are finally making progress on the old theater - they are rehabbing it and turning it back into a theater. I think they are getting rid of the new addition, but to be honest I havn't been through there in quite a while. And yeah, Water street is slowly but surely starting to come ot life. It goes through spurts - the last remnants of what was the old Water street back in the 70s are slowly giving way but with a fight. The far end across Kelly Square is still a little dumpy, though. Reminds me I need to go get some Pierogi for Christmas.

As far as Honey Famrs goes, I think they have a problem with that site. Under the parking lot is the old turning basin for the blackstone. The fact that it is so big at that point does give thema few problems - you would need a big project to justify dealing with that problem. I personally think they should reopen it, but the car parts and C-store aren't going to give up their leases easilly.

Has anyone heard any more on this?