Lane St./W.B. Ford on-ramp

So maybe this has been posted before, I couldn't find it. And maybe there is an easy answer to this question.

Why is there a yield sign at the end of the Westbound Ford Freeway Lane St. on-ramp?

I fly through that area everyday on my way home from work, I get off at Lake MI Dr. and so I'm usually in the right lane by that point, and I always see people either blasting through that sign, or hitting their brakes at the last minute causing backups behind them.

I can't think of any other highway on-ramps with a yield sign. Are there any others?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't think of any other highway on-ramps with a yield sign. Are there any others?

There are others. I think it has to do with not having enough of a "on" ramp to pick up speed and merge with traffic? I have always wondered myself, seems odd. The other one I have seen is on northbound 131 at the Franklin Street onramp. I wish they would continue that onramp until the downtown/BR131 exit. It doesn't look like it would be too much work :dontknow:

There are others. I think it has to do with not having enough of a "on" ramp to pick up speed and merge with traffic? I have always wondered myself, seems odd. The other one I have seen is on northbound 131 at the Franklin Street onramp. I wish they would continue that onramp until the downtown/BR131 exit. It doesn't look like it would be too much work :dontknow:

West bound Plainfield has a Yield sign, but I don't know if that one counts or not. Its more for left-turning traffic to yield for south-bound plainfield traffic.

West bound Plainfield has a Yield sign, but I don't know if that one counts or not. Its more for left-turning traffic to yield for south-bound plainfield traffic.

I wish I had a nickel for every time I almost got hit by someone running that yield sign.

So maybe this has been posted before, I couldn't find it. And maybe there is an easy answer to this question.

Why is there a yield sign at the end of the Westbound Ford Freeway Lane St. on-ramp?

I fly through that area everyday on my way home from work, I get off at Lake MI Dr. and so I'm usually in the right lane by that point, and I always see people either blasting through that sign, or hitting their breaks at the last minute causing backups behind them.

I've wondered that and I think it's because incoming traffic is coming up a hill, so their sightline is very limited, and the ramp is shorter than it should be. If you've ever come on to I-196 that way, it's difficult to make a good merge.

While the ones you folks are all listing are in GR, something similar that stands out to me is in Ann Arbor. Where I lived on the north side, to get onto M-14, there was actually a STOP sign at the end of the on ramp. Granted, the highway in that section was only 55 mph, but no one EVER limited their speed to the limit there... During rush hour traffic it was nearly impossible to pull out of that ramp without cutting someone off.

While the ones you folks are all listing are in GR, something similar that stands out to me is in Ann Arbor. Where I lived on the north side, to get onto M-14, there was actually a STOP sign at the end of the on ramp. Granted, the highway in that section was only 55 mph, but no one EVER limited their speed to the limit there... During rush hour traffic it was nearly impossible to pull out of that ramp without cutting someone off.

Barton Drive. (My former exit!) As I recall, that was supposed to be a temporary ramp, and much about it is not designed to current standards (and can't be retrofit). Too late!

When providing directions, I'd always say, "the exit has a speed limit of 15 mph, and they aren;t kidding. Look for all the paint scratches on the wall."

Barton Drive. (My former exit!) As I recall, that was supposed to be a temporary ramp, and much about it is not designed to current standards (and can't be retrofit). Too late!

When providing directions, I'd always say, "the exit has a speed limit of 15 mph, and they aren;t kidding. Look for all the paint scratches on the wall."

Haha, thats the road name! I lived just off Barton and that exit was crazy... a bunch of friends came to stay with me one weekend for a football game and they didn't head the 15 mph sign... went right down the grassy area past the sign

Okay now I must see pictures of this ramp.

Maybe Monday. I have to drive past A2 on Saturday and perhaps I can snag 'em. If you want to see an aerial, it's the first exit west of US-23 off M-14, just east of Main Street.

Edit: here's a topo map. The scary ramp is the one for EB M-14, and on the USGS map it's not even the same color as the other exit ramps.

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=42.304...size=l&s=25

Maybe Monday. I have to drive past A2 on Saturday and perhaps I can snag 'em. ...

Upon reflection, you're better off looking at the aerial. As am I. There's really no vantage point that would accurately convey this ramp's narrow width and tight turn.

Go see for yourself sometime. M-14, exit 4.

Archived