Littering in GR

blondie

Yesterday afternoon I was behind a car on the offramp of College/WB196 when the driver rolled down their window and threw a lunch sized bag of (what I assume to be) trash onto the side of the road! I was completely horrified and the only thing I could think to do was take down their license plate number. Are there any laws about littering in this town? Anybody have tohoughts?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday afternoon I was behind a car on the offramp of College/WB196 when the driver rolled down their window and threw a lunch sized bag of (what I assume to be) trash onto the side of the road! I was completely horrified and the only thing I could think to do was take down their license plate number. Are there any laws about littering in this town? Anybody have tohoughts?

Yes, there are laws. If you took down the license plate number, try calling 1-800-44-TRASH (800.448.7274). It is a current number. I just checked. And if you have other environmental concerns, check out this link: http://www.deq.state.mi.us/documents/deq-ess-whodoeswhat.pdf

Yes, there are laws. If you took down the license plate number, try calling 1-800-44-TRASH (800.448.7274). It might be an old number, but then again, maybe not.

LOTS of people litter. I see it all the time, and it freaks me out.

What about cigarette butts? Apparently those dont count as litter.

That really pisses me off the most when people throw their butts out the windows..... Do they smoke so much that the ashtray in their car/truck is full, or do they really think that if the window is open and they don't use the ashtray that the car/truck won't smell of smoke?

But alas, the "Village" at Celebration Cinema along East Belt Line has a delightfully unnatural stormwater retention pit behind the IHOP restaurant where all this litter can accumulate! (sarcasm intended)(sorry, couldn't resist plugging one of my biggest pet peaves in the area).

But alas, the "Village" at Celebration Cinema along East Belt Line has a delightfully unnatural stormwater retention pit behind the IHOP restaurant where all this litter can accumulate! (sarcasm intended)(sorry, couldn't resist plugging one of my biggest pet peaves in the area).

The above link I found has a number for all sorts of environmental violations. Check it out.

:)

Thank you for the info, Budgie F. I'm going to keep that number on my dashboard from now on. I was so disgusted by that driver (who appeared to be a young, 20-something female) that I almost got out of my car and had a word with her. Unfortunately, there were a line of cars behind me. And I'm typically non-confrontational.

Thank you for the info, Budgie F. I'm going to keep that number on my dashboard from now on. I was so disgusted by that driver (who appeared to be a young, 20-something female) that I almost got out of my car and had a word with her. Unfortunately, there were a line of cars behind me. And I'm typically non-confrontational.

And these days, you just don't know how anyone will react. She might have gotten out of her car and assaulted you. Better to play it safe.

Many years ago, I saw someone throw a fast food bag out their window as they drove down the highway. I was just so shocked. I felt personally violated. Very strange and unpleasant feeling.

It's downright disgusting, that's what it is. Still not a day goes by out by 54th & Division where I don't see somebody littering. In fact I witnessed a pedestrian get hit by a car out here just last week... the people here are so careless and self-focused, it brings down the entire community.

I'll definately begin making use of these numbers.

In reality, fines for cigarettes butts should be many times more than the fines for other litter. Typically, those small fires you see raging on the sides of roads during dry times are caused by cigarette butts. This past summer, I saw a small fire in landscape mulch near a Family Fare. Upon investigating, I found a cigarette butt in the middle of the fire. Fortunately, the fire was small enough to stomp out.

I hate seeing people litter and I hate having to pick it up, but generally GR area is pretty clean, go to Detroit or burb over by the airport.

cig butts are one thing because the disinigrate and are not very noticable on the road, but bags, bottles, other trash along the road is irresponable and sick

I hate seeing people litter and I hate having to pick it up, but generally GR area is pretty clean, go to Detroit or burb over by the airport.

cig butts are one thing because the disinigrate and are not very noticable on the road, but bags, bottles, other trash along the road is irresponable and sick

I was always under the impression that the "butt" end of a cig was not bio-degradable and didn't break down over time. :dontknow: They are small and sometimes not noticable, but over time they will add up.

Whilst I can't say how bad GR is compared to Detroit, having not gone downtown Dtown, it's still a disgusting problem regardless, and does appear to worsen in the suburbs than in downtown. Anybody ever look out the window on the 54th St. 131 exit? It seems better there now than it was a year ago (or maybe I just don't notise it anymore?) but the rain gutters seemed like mini-landfills on the SE corner of that interchange.

Cigarette butts are made of plastic fibers (in a paper tube) so they don't biodegrade.

To me that's the worst kind of littering...not only are you throwing plastic out the window, you're throwing burning plastic out the window.

In terms of litter, it should not matter how much better GR is than any place else. The accumulation of litter detracts the visual appearance of our community. If you did not live in GR and noticed a bunch of litter on the side of the road or on the lawn in the neighborhood of a house you were going to look at, that could have an influence on your decision to buy/ invest/ move or not.

Yesterday, my fianc

Archived