Kalamazoo Promise reversing "white flight"?

francishsu

My theory about the occasional resentment toward the Kalamazoo Promise...

West Michigan in general is a stinky little nest of the "I got mine, now you get yours" mentality.

I have never heard the word "handout" used so frequently, and so illogically, until I moved here.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not to jump on the bandwagon, but I think there are plenty of people who don't do so hot in highschool and do fine when they get to college. I can think of one example of someone who totally slacked in highschool and when he got to college he graduated at the top of his class.

Highschool GPA means nothing except when it's on your college app.

Not to jump on the bandwagon, but I think there are plenty of people who don't do so hot in highschool and do fine when they get to college. I can think of one example of someone who totally slacked in highschool and when he got to college he graduated at the top of his class.

Highschool GPA means nothing except when it's on your college app.

But the question is whether those people actually worked hard in high school. That was GRdadof3's argument. There are plenty of examples where people slack off in high school and then change their work ethic at the college level. So to refute GRdadof3's argument with your point, you would examples of people who worked hard in high school only to get a "C" average, but ended up much more successful in college. i.e. College is supposed to be more difficult than high school, so all other factors being equal, if you barely pass in high school you're going to have problems in college. (GRdadof3 actually said they'd get slaughtered in the real world, which I don't happen to agree with, but since we're talking Kalamazoo Promise, let's assume they're going to college first for the sake of this argument.)

I wasn't saying that you had to have a high GPA to be successful. I was just countering the claim that the college tuition is "earned". If not for GPA then, how is it "earned" by the KPS students? To me, staying in school and completing high school is the bare minimum (really, what else is there), and that's what they have to do. It's not earned, it's a freebie gift, plain and simple. If that's what it takes to keep kids in school, fine. I'm sure that philosophy will prepare them well for the modern global economy. But I guess that's better than a homeless shelter or dead by 22.

And thanks francishsu, I agree. Yes, there are examples of people who don't do well in high school, but then do better in college, but that's rare. The only way you can do well in college is through discipline and excellent study habits. You don't necessarily have to be brilliant. You may not get "slaughtered" in the real world, but it will be a real struggle.

I would agree that they're not earning it. A 2.0 in highschool is not earning it, anyone who puts any sort of effort in can get a 2.0. I was just saying that someone who gets a 2.0 in highschool is not destined for slaughter.

I knew you didn't think that. We're just going round and round on a technicality. :D

http://www.kalamazoopublicschools.com/educ...c_id=1131662979

Maybe this will help the understanding of the Kzoo Promise. This explains how long they attend what percentage will be covered. Their high school grades only matter in terms of what college or university will accept them as college students. At which point, they must maintain eligibility as outlined in the above link.

This is meant as an incentive/scholarship, and works similar to any other scholarship. However, it has a larger scope than most. Scholarships of all types have 'predujices' as to who can receive them. Sorry, homeschoolers and Portage. The intent is to attract/keep scholarly minded individuals to grow the Kalamazoo community.

If students fail college, they will lose the money. Yes, some money will likely get wasted. The hope is that the amount wasted will be miniscule to the amount that is successful.

Archived