Northwest Adds to Fleet

northernbizzkit1

NWA Fleet News...

While Northwest has been in bankruptcy, they have truly been working to change their image. Some of the results are fleet modernizing...which was a GREAT need. Northwest had a load of old 757s, DC-10s, DC-9s, Saabs, and 747s. The only "new" items were the A319s and A320s...and the regional jets. Now we have great news:

* the DC-10 is being updated with a much more luxurious A330 to fly such routes as MEM-AMS

* new ERJs and CRJs are coming to fly Compass

*speculation is that more A319s/A320s are coming to the fleet

*787s should arrive in the next few years

The only items MEM needs to really worry about are the regional jets and the 787s. The regional jets are going to play to the passenger levels and hub status at MEM. I can see such routes as MEM-PHL and MEM-BOS going to an ERJ-175 or CRJ-900...I had to book a flight from here to Boston for Sunday, and I decided to go through Detroit rather than sit in a cramped RJ from here to Boston for three hours...bleh. These larger jets will increase loads and probably keep the Memphis hub...a hub.

The 787s are still our way to become a bigger international gateway for MEM. These will permit MEM-NRT and other flights to happen and also contribute to loads from MEM.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The new Bombardier CRJ900 and Embraer 175 aircraft are longer than CRJ's used now. I think passenger room won't be a problem with these additions. Northwest ordered 36 new CRJ900 which is longer than the ones in current operation. I think they are the CRJ 700's, not really sure but if they are , here is a picture of the comparison of the two:

CRJ900 vs. CRJ700

Thats a huge difference especially since NWA is turning their, originally, 86 seaters into 76 seaters.. I have flown on the CRJ's in current operation from Nashville to Memphis many times, and it is uncomfortable because you have to crouch down just to look out the window. And get this....I am only 5'9.5.'' Its terrible when an average height male has to crouch down just to look out the window..And it was a window seat.

The Embraer 175 is about 10 ft shorter than the DC-9-30 which was used by NWA which was pretty comfortable, IMO. I think they addressed your concerns with these additions.

Man, that Embraer 175 is going to look good in NWA colors. Its a nice looking jet..

I wish the state would link Nashville in Memphis with daily passenger and freight rail service. Then MEM could become the international hub for the state, with Nashvillians taking the train to Memphis to fly international. Vacationing Memphians could take the train to BNA short-haul cheap flights. It seems like I've read something about rail service between the two cities before.

I wish the state would link Nashville in Memphis with daily passenger and freight rail service. Then MEM could become the international hub for the state, with Nashvillians taking the train to Memphis to fly international. Vacationing Memphians could take the train to BNA short-haul cheap flights. It seems like I've read something about rail service between the two cities before.

Problem is that BNA is itself, positioning to be a larger international destination (both for PAX and cargo) with the recent corporate re-locations and the population jump in the area. It is doubtful that state leaders will let just one airport (especially one that isn't centalized) to carry the states entire load of international traffic. NWA needs to get out of bankruptcy and replace their nasty old DC-9's before they start adding trans-pacific routes (this is just opinon from me). They have enough on their plates as it is without having to worry about adding flights to more international hubs. The demise of Mesaba is one of them. Compass isn't even going to be able to put a dent in the amount of routes lost by Mesaba's departure (if that happens).

For the record, Nashville isn't just a "cheap" airport. It is a whole lot more than that, and if you think otherwise, you are totally off base. In the future, "cheap" will be the only way to fly with the rising cost of fuel etc.

I think it's great that NWA is trying to update itself. But it is a shame they chose CRJ's over the leaner more passenger friendly ERJ-190's. The 175's are great, but the 190's are the way to go. CRJ's are crap to fly on, and its highly doubtful they will be able to keep the PAX happya fter someone flies on a DC-9 one day, and then returns to the airport the next just to find they are now going to be flying from BNA or MEM to Minneapolis on a cramped little CRJ. I would be pissed. That's a considerable distance to fly just to be tightly packed on a flying can of sardines. Plus, the DC-9 can hold more than the CRJ-900 and the ERJ-175 can, why are they downgrading the seat allotements on routes that can support more than a regional jet can provide?? Are they wanting to do business the American Airlines way and just overbook every flight??? LOL!!!

Problem is that BNA is itself, positioning to be a larger international destination (both for PAX and cargo) with the recent corporate re-locations and the population jump in the area. It is doubtful that state leaders will let just one airport (especially one that isn't centalized) to carry the states entire load of international traffic. NWA needs to get out of bankruptcy and replace their nasty old DC-9's before they start adding trans-pacific routes (this is just opinon from me). They have enough on their plates as it is without having to worry about adding flights to more international hubs. The demise of Mesaba is one of them. Compass isn't even going to be able to put a dent in the amount of routes lost by Mesaba's departure (if that happens).

For the record, Nashville isn't just a "cheap" airport. It is a whole lot more than that, and if you think otherwise, you are totally off base. In the future, "cheap" will be the only way to fly with the rising cost of fuel etc.

I think it's great that NWA is trying to update itself. But it is a shame they chose CRJ's over the leaner more passenger friendly ERJ-190's. The 175's are great, but the 190's are the way to go. CRJ's are crap to fly on, and its highly doubtful they will be able to keep the PAX happya fter someone flies on a DC-9 one day, and then returns to the airport the next just to find they are now going to be flying from BNA or MEM to Minneapolis on a cramped little CRJ. I would be pissed. That's a considerable distance to fly just to be tightly packed on a flying can of sardines. Plus, the DC-9 can hold more than the CRJ-900 and the ERJ-175 can, why are they downgrading the seat allotements on routes that can support more than a regional jet can provide?? Are they wanting to do business the American Airlines way and just overbook every flight??? LOL!!!

OK...I'm going to bite my tongue for what I really want to say here and simply ask...would you care to explain how BNA will be a larger international cargo destination than MEM, the largest cargo airport in the world? Furthermore, I'm interested in how BNA is to become a larger international passenger airport as long as MEM is running as a NWA hub...sure, you may have corporate relocations but seriously...BNA is still not big enough to run international flights on a daily basis when it isn't a hub.

Furthermore, I don't think anyone in this thread has accused Nashville of being a "cheap" hub...in fact, Nashville really wasn't mentioned at all except for the fact that someone echoed a sentiment mentioned in earlier threads about linking Nashville to Memphis as far as international traffic goes since Memphis is the larger airport with the larger international traffic and simply makes more sense to house a flight to Tokyo (which was when several people mentioned linking Nashville to Memphis for international traffic).

Also, NWA has not stated the ERJ-175 and CRJ-900 are replacements for the DC-9. These two aircraft bridge a gap between the 50-seater CRJ and the DC-9.

OK...I'm going to bite my tongue for what I really want to say here and simply ask...would you care to explain how BNA will be a larger international cargo destination than MEM, the largest cargo airport in the world? Furthermore, I'm interested in how BNA is to become a larger international passenger airport as long as MEM is running as a NWA hub...sure, you may have corporate relocations but seriously...BNA is still not big enough to run international flights on a daily basis when it isn't a hub.

Furthermore, I don't think anyone in this thread has accused Nashville of being a "cheap" hub...in fact, Nashville really wasn't mentioned at all except for the fact that someone echoed a sentiment mentioned in earlier threads about linking Nashville to Memphis as far as international traffic goes since Memphis is the larger airport with the larger international traffic and simply makes more sense to house a flight to Tokyo (which was when several people mentioned linking Nashville to Memphis for international traffic).

Also, NWA has not stated the ERJ-175 and CRJ-900 are replacements for the DC-9. These two aircraft bridge a gap between the 50-seater CRJ and the DC-9.

Did I say it would be bigger? No.

Your other statements are just pure stupidity and I am not responding to them. But to set there in your cozy little home in Memphis and think that a metro of over 1.5 million or more couldn't handle international traffic at its airport is just pure retarded. Especially ocnsidering the amount of international presence in this city. LMAO!!!! What a stupid statement on your part. You don't need a hub to have international flights. Take away NWA from MEM and your no better off than Louisville International my friend.

And considering that the DC-9 is the smallest jet NWA flies, would you like to enlighten me as to what they would needs these new jets for then?? A "bridge" of gaps just doesn't make sense. Sounds like a replacement to me.

First off, can someone kick lexy off this forum. We aren't here to slam each other, but it seems to me that you have no idea what you are talking about. Yes, you have to have a hub to have international traffic. Are you going to tell me that you have 250-300 people coming and going to Amsterdam every day just for business in Nashville. NOOO. The only way those flights are maid possible, is by people connecting through your airport. If we lost NWA, we would just be another Nashville Airport BUT we would still be the largest cargo airport in the world.

NWA is replacing the DC-9 because it is old and out-dated. More modern aircraft like the Bombardier CRJ900 and Embraer 175 are designed to have lower lift/drag ratio and reduced approach speeds. Both have winglets at the tip of the wings that make them more productive than the much older DC 9. Both result in increased payload range, lower fuel cost (always essential), etc. In a nutshell, they are more efficient.

Many airliners are starting to really use their regional jets. Many flights weren't filling up with the larger jets, so the airliners decreased the number of seats and increased ticket prices. Of course its more into this but I don't feel like going into it. We just went over this in class, its funny how this was brought up.

Gosh you guys....I don't think Lexy is trying to cause trouble, just saying BNA shouldn't become a "secondary" airport of sorts for Memphis metro. Thats Tunica's job :thumbsup: . He was just saying BNA will become a bigger airport for passengers and cargo than it is now.

Your other statements are just pure stupidity and I am not responding to them. But to set there in your cozy little home in Memphis and think that a metro of over 1.5 million or more couldn't handle international traffic at its airport is just pure retarded. Especially ocnsidering the amount of international presence in this city. LMAO!!!! What a stupid statement on your part. You don't need a hub to have international flights. Take away NWA from MEM and your no better off than Louisville International my friend.

And considering that the DC-9 is the smallest jet NWA flies, would you like to enlighten me as to what they would needs these new jets for then?? A "bridge" of gaps just doesn't make sense. Sounds like a replacement to me.

ok...

I was asking you to explain yourself because you did, in fact, state that BNA is "positioning itself to be a larger international destination (both for PAX and cargo)." Now, I took that as you saying it will be bigger, and I wanted to hear an explanation from you. I personally don't see how that constituted you calling my statements and thoughts stupid and retarded. Furthermore, I'm simply saying BNA does not have the demand to pull off a daily international flight to Europe or Tokyo...Boston is one of the only cities that can do that without actually being a hub (it's technically just a focus city for several airlines). I hope I clear up the misconception that every citizen in Memphis is sitting back cracking one-liners about the Nashville airport. We don't. Nobody here does that, and I think tenreb wasn't trying to make it appear as though BNA was a "cheap" airport or not significant. He was simply making a suggestion stemming from the fact that MEM is the larger international airport. That's the closest anyone gets to slamming BNA, and I really don't think that is a slam.

Furthermore, NWA made a statement saying that the new jets are filling in the gap for markets where there isn't quite the demand for the DC-9. I'm sorry if you don't believe that, but it was in the press release when NWA made the announcement for the new jets.

It's absolutely ludicrous to think that a metro of 1.5 million could handle international flights without being a hub (excepting a few Canadian or Mexican routes). NOT possible. Sorry Lexy, but I disagree.

Yes, MEM would suffer without NWA, but don't bash us and Louisville. <_<

You are indeed correct. It's actually in a TDOT plan (that of course will never get funded with current TDOT priorities, aka only roadbuilding) from I believe 2001. Perhaps since they propose a 30-year outlay, there are possibilities. Anyway, if you are pressed for time and/or lazy skip to pages 14 (not positive), 24, and 54-57 for the interesting maps and pretty tables. All in all, it's a very fascinating study if you have time to read all 64 pages.

Here's the link:

http://www.tdot.state.tn.us/Chief_Engineer...asks/task04.pdf

Here we go again...... :wacko:

NWA also has 757-300's in its fleet which is a new aircraft. Due to low demand, Boeing ended the 757-300 production, thus ending production of the 757's.

So, the 757-300 is the last one to be made? You would think that the B757 would be high in demand due to its fuel efficency, top performance and passenger comfort. Not to mention how her versatility; she is able to fly short and long haul flights.

I think she can still be productive. I would move my B757s that operating short routes to the long haul flights. Any links pertaining to this?

Archived