Flattering Greenville news

Carter711

These articles are actually from 2005, but I'm guessing they flew under the radar here, since they came from Indiana, so I figured I'd post it here for you.

Anyway last year several officials from Fort Wayne, Indiana visited Greenville for inspiration as that city plans its own downtown redevelopment. The Fort Wayne News & Sentinel covered the trip and did a big frontpage spread on Greenville. There are several very flattering pictures and stories on the city's downtown.

I have never been to Greenville myself, but this really has made me want to visit. That bridge thing looks incredible. And everything just looks so clean!

But here's the article in pdf format

http://jordan.fortwayne.com/ns/projects/pr.../greenville.pdf

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Carter711!

Thanks for dropping in. It actually didn't fly in under the radar here. One of our regulars picked it up from the other forum/thread and posted it HERE.

We had actually had a couple of threads dedicated to this discussion previously, too. Not only Fort Wayne, but many cities have come to Greenville to visit.

I found the Fort Wayne situation quite interesting because my sister and her husband (who at the time worked as an engineer for the City of Fort Wayne) and daughters came to visit us here in Greenville. We showed them all around downtown. The next thing I knew, he had gone back to Fort Wayne and had talked to a few of the city council members he knew there and within a month or so, they were arrainging a trip to Greenville. It's funny how the world works sometimes.

We visited Fort Wayne shortly after that, ourselves. It's a (currently) a rather boring city with enormous potential and it's obvious that they're doing their homework in visiting other places for insights and ideas as to what they can do to improve their downtown.

Hi Carter711!

Thanks for dropping in. It actually didn't fly in under the radar here. One of our regulars picked it up from the other forum/thread and posted it HERE.

We had actually had a couple of threads dedicated to this discussion previously, too. Not only Fort Wayne, but many cities have come to Greenville to visit.

I found the Fort Wayne situation quite interesting because my sister and her husband (who at the time worked as an engineer for the City of Fort Wayne) and daughters came to visit us here in Greenville. We showed them all around downtown. The next thing I knew, he had gone back to Fort Wayne and had talked to a few of the city council members he knew there and within a month or so, they were arrainging a trip to Greenville. It's funny how the world works sometimes.

We visited Fort Wayne shortly after that, ourselves. It's a (currently) a rather boring city with enormous potential and it's obvious that they're doing their homework in visiting other places for insights and ideas as to what they can do to improve their downtown.

Ha! I'm really behind on this one, huh? Sorry about that, I generally try to avoid that. Now can someone tell me why Greenville looks so big, if there's only 60,000 people there? Is it a realy small area? Big metro area? It looks 2 or 3 times the size.

Ha! I'm really behind on this one, huh? Sorry about that, I generally try to avoid that. Now can someone tell me why Greenville looks so big, if there's only 60,000 people there? Is it a realy small area? Big metro area? It looks 2 or 3 times the size.

You've got it: Small city population, large metro population. Greenville County has the largest population in the state of S.C. at well over 400,000, and the number continues to rapidly grow. Cities run into several problems when looking to annex in this state. The City of Greenville has a daily population of aproximately 200,000 when you add all of the businesses and visitors together.

You've got it: Small city population, large metro population. Greenville County has the largest population in the state of S.C. at well over 400,000, and the number continues to rapidly grow. Cities run into several problems when looking to annex in this state. The City of Greenville has a daily population of aproximately 200,000 when you add all of the businesses and visitors together.

Alright, that explains it. Judging by the articles it looks like a very cosmopolitan city as well. The only time I've ever been to South Carolina was about 6 years ago, when I was still a senior in high school I went with the rents for long wkend in Charleston. And it was great. But one night we were at this restaurant telling the waitress how much we liked the city and how it was the exact opposite of some "Deep South" stereotypes, and the waitress said "Well just don't go more than 20 miles outside the city," and we laughed, and she had this really serious look on her face. But obviously she was wrong.

That was just her perception of reality. We all have a perception of things and our opinions. On the Greenville city subject, the city limits only emcompass about 28 square miles. Columbia and charlestons city limits are past 100 square miles. That is why it fools a lot of people when they come here or pass through.

• 3 weeks later...

Neat read. Thanks for sharing.

I think Greenville will definitely pass 60,000 by 2010. There is way too much going on in the city limits on previously undeveloped land and Some residential areas have been annexed (Club Forest). I think we'll see a significant jump in the city's population. The fastest growing county has to put the people somewhere; why not in Greenville.

Another question? Do you know all the areas that greenville annexes on a year to year bases? Do they have some kind of record of this or is it secret kind of? How long before 100,000 you reckon with our small city limits? And is the city limits still only 28 square miles after annexing all that land out to ICAR and HUBBLE?

thanks,

Evan

That was an enjoyable read... though I think its important to recognize that Greenville has been focusing on redevelopment for as long as N Chas has existed. North Charleston has no traditional urban center and has a major problem with blight and poverty that it must over come. These are two very different cities, and IMO there are way more differences than there are similarities.

This is my recommendation for Greenville, continue to fill in the undeveloped areas within the city limits. Once the area is filled and redeveloped to complete compacity then begin to push for annexation and major expansions of the city. I could see a very bright future for Greenville if they were to execute this such plan. Areas like the Westside and Nickeltown needs to be continued to redeveloped and brought up to the standards of competing suburbans areas but offers some thing they don't have CONVIENENCE.

Here is one that will make the greenvillians smile. I was radio surfing in the car this evening after work, and caught the changeover on 103.1 to the Andy Thomas show out of Cola. He was talking about going to Ceaser's Head this past weekend to see the colors and views, and how pretty they were. Then he said that he went to DT gville, and said he was very impressed with DT, and with all the people there. He said that the people in Gville should be proud of what they (we) had, and he was surprised at the liveliness and activity. And (not to start anything, but since this is a Greenville forum) that by comparison, Cola "rolls up the carpet on the weekends." His words, not mine. I am only bringing this up because this was someone from another part of the state speaking positively about our area.

Here is one that will make the greenvillians smile. I was radio surfing in the car this evening after work, and caught the changeover on 103.1 to the Andy Thomas show out of Cola. He was talking about going to Ceaser's Head this past weekend to see the colors and views, and how pretty they were. Then he said that he went to DT gville, and said he was very impressed with DT, and with all the people there. He said that the people in Gville should be proud of what they (we) had, and he was surprised at the liveliness and activity. And (not to start anything, but since this is a Greenville forum) that by comparison, Cola "rolls up the carpet on the weekends." His words, not mine. I am only bringing this up because this was someone from another part of the state speaking positively about our area.

Archived