What skyline inspired you to be scraper fanatic

NcSc74

My hometown of Winston-Salem, NC was the city where I first started to become aware of skyscrapers(Reynolds building especially), but it wasn't until I visited Charlotte at the age of ten that I became a skyscraper fanatic. The Bank of America tower simply made me fall in love with the skyline. I absolutely love the view when you are making the transtion from 85 to 77 south and you round that bend and there is the skyline.

On a side note, Sim City was one of the best games ever created :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well it all started when I was young and wanted to be an architect and I would design floor layouts of my future home and I also liked to play simcity. I had siblings that went to college in Chattanooga so we would go through nashville and I would just be fixed on the view of the Bellsouth tower because to me it looked like a fox, but what really did it in for me was my love for my city and the Memphis tigers. I really got interested when I was going to Dallas and we were in a bus and I looked out on the Memphis skyline and just loved how it looked like a wall from the bridge and of course dallas was just shocking how you can have a tower with a hole in it and that wierd futuristic tower like in SimCopter the Prism one. So I was looked for pictures of Memphis on the internet and stumbled across UrbanPlanet and got addicted.

Pittsburgh by a mile... like its been said before, as soon as you come out of the tunnel, its just boom and its all in your face. The first time I saw it was at night right before a steelers game... it was just soo huge I was hooked. And then the next day seeing it again from the Duquesne Incline just sealed the deal.

• 1 month later...

Im not really a scraper fanatic, per-se, more just a lover of cities.

What got me interested was when a i went to my first Tigers game in Detroit. I just looked in awe as we approaced downtown. Then on the way home, i noticed for the first time that the closest city to me, Flint , actually had a little bit of a skyline. Not that great of one, but it had one. So i googled to Find out what the tallest building in Flint was called, and sure enough, i found urbanplanet. Through viewing pictures and threads on UP, ive really gotten interested in cities.

• 2 weeks later...

For me it was my early childhood in Tennessee. To us Nashville was the "big city" when we would drive through it in the late 60s. At that time all they had was the L & C Tower at 409 feet. But it stood almost all alone aside from some midrise structures and we would stare at it as we approached the town and continue to stare as we shot out the other side of town.

But then when we moved to Georgia, watching the Atlanta skyline boom at least five times what it was even in the early 80s was incredible to me. When we moved here, the only really tall buildings seemed to be Westin Hotel and Georgia Pacific. Now those two are swallowed up and surpassed by numerous other towers and surrounded by comparable ones. Now Buckhead has a skyline as well as Midtown.

Recently though I've become more interested in watching Nashville grow with the Signature Tower and Crown. Compared to that lone L&C of 35 years ago, Nashville is on a boom.

Definitely Atlanta! My family would come up from Savannah every summer to visit our cousins in Roswell and the best part of the trip was driving through Atlanta.

I can honestly say that the city was different every single time, which is what I love about Atlanta. :-D

• 4 months later...

The Pittsburgh skyline definately developed my asthetic appreciation of skyscrapers and urban landscapes. Growing up in north Pittsburgh, my family would drive into the city from I-279; the view of downtown from that end is spectacular especially at night

Chicago, without a doubt. The first time my Mom took me there I was overwhelmed by the sheer size of the buildings there (and the number of them too). I've been obsessed ever since. :)

I think I was about 11 at the time.

You know what, I lied. The first city that really got me interested when I was younger was Grand Rapids. Being only and hour and some change away (I lived in Kalamazoo) we made frequent visits. It seemed really big to me at that age. I also used to like to look at pictures of Detroit (before then I never knew buildings that tall existed in Michigan). Chicago was definately the final nail in the coffin though. :D

I became a scraper fanatic when I was 16 and first saw Manhattan. I was coming from my native South Carolina enroute to Western Massachusetts for summer vacation with my mom who lived in Springfield at the time. Manhattan simply took my breath away! being I had never seen a building more than 20 stories tall, which was in Columbia, SC. But Cola "tall buildings" were sparse by comparison. Not only were Manhattan's buildings taller than anything I had ever seen, they were plentiful and architectually stunning in size & beauty & as alluring (for me) as the great ancient pyramids of Egypt I had seen in books...

We visited NY several times that summer & I loved every moment of it...

For me, it was a building that was never built, the Cutter Financial Center that was supposed to be built in downtown Hartford in the late 80's/early 90's. This was an almost 900' gem and would have remade the Hartford skyline. To our chagrin, it was never built....

317303.jpg

I was fascinated by the Louisville skyline as a kid in the 80s when I went through there once with my family; then later on Chicago further enthralled me with an interest in tall buildings, architecture, and skylines when I went into the city to see Ringley Brothers Circus around the same time period.

Archived