Charlotte spends $70,000 For New Motto

monsoon

Apparently the Charlotte Visitors Authority, which gets money from the Hotel/Motel Tax, has plunked down $70,000 with this firm in California, "Believable Brands", to help it come up with a new brand for the area so people will remember Charlotte.

Some examples:

• Durham - "Where Great Things Happen"

• Las Vegas - "What Happens Here Stays Here"

They are hoping to come up with something as ubitquous as "I Love NY".

:rolleyes:

Seems to me this is $70K that is going to be wasted on nothing. If anything, they could have started a thread for free on UrbanPlanet.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my view, that is in keeping with their core responsibility. They are supposed to build up a brand for the city, to increase visitorship and tourist money.

Basically, the city money given to this group is for this very thing. I'd far rather they spend money on expert advise for a finite fee than to spend 70k per year for 2 employees to man telephones or something.

It is a waste if the advice they get isn't expert. But if is a good motto, then I'm for it. New York paid a consultant to come up with I [heart] NY. Why not Charlotte.

That said, it better be good!

A T-shirt idea:

I'm a graduate of Char-Meck Schools. Will you read my shirt to me?

Other Slogans:

Charlotte: So much time, so little to do!

Charlotte: Big City problems, small-town boredom!

Charlotte: Gentrification is our specialization!

Charlotte: Bigger than Buckhead!

Charlotte: Our Nordstrom's is bigger than Charleston's!

Don't get your panties in a wad guys; I live here too. And, shockingly, I'm a banker!

Charlotte is a much nicer place than a number of comparably-sized cities such as Sacramento, Kansas City, and Pittsburgh, but we're not even in the same ballpark with places such as Denver, Portland, or Austin (as Jules would say, we're not even playing the same freakin' sport) in terms of things to do/quality of life. I'd rather the city spend that $70,000 on our crumbling infrastructure rather than trying to strong-arm people into believing that the QC is a tourist destination.

From an outsider.......

This is what I envision....follow me now because I'm actually seeing the commercial as I type.

Charlotte..........On the move!

The slogan would be read by some baritone voiced man. It has to be a powerful yet stately voice. To project strength and longstanding. He would say Charlotte...pause for a few seconds...and finish with...on the move. Then a scene of the skyline will come into sight. Very discretely, a couple of NASCAR race cars will roar in front of the skyline without causing too much distraction from the skyline. Shots of the museums you guys have planned will show followed by a shot of the BOA stadium. (the word "excitement" will flash by) Then a scene of Southpark....yes...Southpark will show fashionably dressed young people scurrying to some nice shop or restuarant with shopping bags (this gives the sense that it's a walkable city...a la Chicago) (the word "style" will flash by) then Uptown will appear again and you will see the lightrail system....a fully packed car will go infront of the camera (this emphasizes that you all offer the true urban experience)...then the screen goes dark and the word Charlotte (big type)(a nice crown above the word), centered and in the middle of the screen with the the words "....on the move!" in cursive just below the city name.

Now if that is too uptight, you can always add this scene...

(after the lightrail car goes by)

[a group of young people (a multiracial bunch)...they could be bankers but they are sexy too, who happen to live and work in Uptown]

Of the group, a young beautiful blonde girl with stylish clothes (all the young people there will have stylish clothing on) stops as they appear to be crossing the street and says "There is so much to do....Charlotte, it's always on the move" Then they all rush across the street after another packed lightrail train has breezed by.

Of course that could be tweeked. With the right group of people from the area, I'm sure you guys could fine tune it better to showcase the city. I just used that idea above to project that Charlotte has NASCAR but it's presented in a discrete manner. I also wanted to emphasize movement....you know....on the move....so outsiders....especially northerners would not get the impression that Charlotte is just a midsized southern city with not much to do.

Anyway............that's just me. Sorry it was so rough....I was brainstorming.

Seems to me this is $70K that is going to be wasted on nothing. If anything, they could have started a thread for free on UrbanPlanet.

Wow. An idea too obvious to occur to them. A million dollar idea. Well, OK, $70,000.

Basically, the city money given to this group is for this very thing. I'd far rather they spend money on expert advise for a finite fee than to spend 70k per year for 2 employees to man telephones or something.

It is a waste if the advice they get isn't expert. But if is a good motto, then I'm for it. New York paid a consultant to come up with I [heart] NY. Why not Charlotte.

IMO certain aspects of the marketing field, like this, are too variable and unscientific to use terms like "expert". I agree that the effort should be serious, but I would think it more probable that a winning idea would come out of something as simple as a brainstorming session in a place like this by a certain mass of people. There should be a high concentration of creative and artistic minds on this forum in particular, and many here would be knowledgeable about Charlotte and motivated enough to put in the effort.

Anyway, moot subject, can't see govt. doing such a thing. The Univ. of Texas paid a ridiculous sum to an expert firm to come up with their slogan roughly 10 years ago, and the end result was "We're Texas". People were in an uproar. Ironically, it doesn't sound so incredibly dumb after 10 years of getting use to it, but hardly worth the fortune spent.

"Charlotte, the Spirit of a Queen" or "Charlotte, Heart of Royalty"

"Charlotte, were Leadership is Born"

Just pulled an all-nighter, hopefully I can post better later, since I naively hope someone somewhere is listening... :shades:

Anyway, I always think about this: Charlotte...Crown Jewel of the South

They may want to aspire to something higher if they are bothering to do this at all, when you put the "South" in there it implies that you don't think you can stand out compared to North, East or West. In my mind, anyway, it should be striving for national recognition, not regional. And I'm not in the least bit biased here...

...Crown Jewel of Planet Earth?

Ive heard a lot good ones already but here are some i can think of:

Welcome to Charlotte:

" We're still in North Carolina "

" Andrew Jackson came through here "

" 2nd largest banking city in America "

" Buffalo's sunbelt "

" formely NC's largest city " [think in the future, i believe Raleigh will surpass them :P ]

" A WSOC TV-9 Community "

" Hometown of Billy Graham "

" We're not downtown, its uptown! "

" 100769 transplants and growing! "

" Our open space is yours "

" pork barrel tax dollar spending at work "

Archived